This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
    That is unfair. Fifth graders would be smarter.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vIaM4BUfY1A
    “Are you smarter than a fifth grader?”
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

• Maybe my last post for some time as it took over 10 minutes to get to this page.

So he wants to fire the Fed Chief.

It is now obvious that he does not intend to govern a country but instead to run a country like Trump Incorporated where he is the final say on every thing and everyone.

Comment

• To all my fellow Americans who have been feeling a bit dejected during this holiday season over the dysfunction in our government, the hyperpartisanship, the frank ridiculousness of the shutdown,, I have the following words of consolation:

This is YOUR fault. YOU have chosen the clown in the WH and his minions in Congress. Anything that happens now, from Russian interference in our country, cancellation of healthcare coverage over pre-existing conditions, the balloonig deficit from the tax cuts, the isolation of America on the global stage, is part of your achievement. If the Wall gets built, well, that would be your achivement too.

You wanted to thumb your collectives noses at the elite, the libtards, the globalists, the politically correct, the SJWs, the Millenials, and god knows who else. Well, you have done it. CONGRATS, feel free to add a feather to that cap of yours.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
          To all my fellow Americans who have been feeling a bit dejected during this holiday season over the dysfunction in our government, the hyperpartisanship, the frank ridiculousness of the shutdown,, I have the following words of consolation:

This is YOUR fault. YOU have chosen the clown in the WH and his minions in Congress. Anything that happens now, from Russian interference in our country, cancellation of healthcare coverage over pre-existing conditions, the balloonig deficit from the tax cuts, the isolation of America on the global stage, is part of your achievement. If the Wall gets built, well, that would be your achivement too.

You wanted to thumb your collectives noses at the elite, the libtards, the globalists, the politically correct, the SJWs, the Millenials, and god knows who else. Well, you have done it. CONGRATS, feel free to add a feather to that cap of yours.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
          Um yeah. Dont forget that people like YOU voted for people that are fighting him and thus carry 50% of the responsibility of what is going on. Now what exactly is wrong about securing the border and slowing the influx of illegal immigration? Why are you so willing to shut down the government in order to put the people of other nations above American citizens?.
          Removing a single turd from the cesspool doesn't make any difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by bonehead View Post
            Um yeah. Dont forget that people like YOU voted for people that are fighting him and thus carry 50% of the responsibility of what is going on. Now what exactly is wrong about securing the border and slowing the influx of illegal immigration? Why are you so willing to shut down the government in order to put the people of other nations above American citizens?.
            Nice juggle there but seeing as how a majority don't want a wall then it is up to Trump and his minority base to get it through Congress or not. It was his promise to begin with and I know I didn't sign on to help him. He is not worthy of my help.

Although help he may need now more than ever. He was always marginally functional but after today and his attacks on everyone and everything his paranoia is becoming more and more obvious. He clearly needs help, help of the psychiatric kind.

Comment

• Originally posted by bonehead View Post
              You are very kind, thank you and wish you a very Merry Christmas too.

If you see my post, I am not talking to "conservatives", "wingnuts", "Trumpkins" or "Muscovites". I said "Americans, among which I very much count myself. I and everyone else have either propelled Donald to the Presidency or have failed to contain him. Now, whatever he does, we are responsible. If he dumps us into a deep recession, it is our fault. If he lifts us to hitherto unforeseen heights, it is to our credit, though I have as much hope about it as catching that unicorn I have ben eyeing.
              Last edited by antimony; 26 Dec 18,, 06:57.
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Um yeah. Dont forget that people like YOU voted for people that are fighting him and thus carry 50% of the responsibility of what is going on. Now what exactly is wrong about securing the border and slowing the influx of illegal immigration? Why are you so willing to shut down the government in order to put the people of other nations above American citizens?.
                the inaccuracy here is the conflation of "$5.7 billion in wall spending" and "securing the border". Dems have voted again and again for increases in border security measures and for the border patrol, including a $1.6 billion increase in the last proposal which -both sides- agreed upon.

-Trump- torpedo'd this at the last minute because he insisted on the $5.7 billion specifically for his wall. against the wishes of his own party.

so the onus of shutting down the government is on him.
                Last edited by astralis; 26 Dec 18,, 15:18.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

You are very kind, thank you and wish you a very Merry Christmas too.

If you see my post, I am not talking to "conservatives", "wingnuts", "Trumpkins" or "Muscovites". I said "Americans, among which I very much count myself. I and everyone else have either propelled Donald to the Presidency or have failed to contain him. Now, whatever he does, we are responsible. If he dumps us into a deep recession, it is our fault. If he lifts us to hitherto unforeseen heights, it is to our credit, though I have as much hope about it as catching that unicorn I have ben eyeing.
                  Um, you left out a few Ruskie bears ... Without Vlad the Interferrer, there is no Trumpet the Rediculous.
                  Trust me?
                  I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                    so much for all those "adults in the room" who were supposed to be the wise advisers to the MAGA-in-Chief.
                    No more 'rule of the generals' that people were crying about two years ago ?

And where does this 'adults in the room' line come from ? you mean to tell me there are no suitable replacements available.

Trump's a CEO and he hires and fires as he sees fit.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

And where does this 'adults in the room' line come from ? you mean to tell me there are no suitable replacements available.

When the vast majority of serious analysts, politicians, observers and pundits consistently scream “No! Don’t do it!,” the adult thing to do is to slow down and reconsider. These aren’t life-or-death decisions that have to be made at Twitter speed. These are very immature tantrums.
                      Trust me?
                      I'm an economist!

Comment

• De,

that was always the long-term problem, not a short-term one. most of the analysis was predicated on, "it's a good thing in the short-term that Trump has steady advisers given his temperament, but this is a bad long-term trend for the concept of civilian oversight in the US."

adults in the room was a common usage among establishment Republicans to describe the situation. Bob Corker riffed on it as the "adult daycare staff".

there's certainly replacements, but we've already seen the extent to which Trump takes the advice of these "adults in the room". this calls into question their power and efficacy.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

Hires and fires as he sees fit? What is this, Mall of America?

Trump's nominees need to be confirmed by the Senate before they serve. Trump is not a CEO, he the President

BTW, CEOs are supposed to be reined in by their Boards, a lesson which Trump obviously has not learned given that he was running a family company. The United States of America is not a family company.

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                            that was always the long-term problem, not a short-term one. most of the analysis was predicated on, "it's a good thing in the short-term that Trump has steady advisers given his temperament, but this is a bad long-term trend for the concept of civilian oversight in the US."
                            I see, you interpret 'rule of the generals' as bad for mil-civ relations. I interpreted it as a potential war mongering cabinet.

Well, no more generals in the room any more. All civvies.

adults in the room was a common usage among establishment Republicans to describe the situation. Bob Corker riffed on it as the "adult daycare staff".

there's certainly replacements, but we've already seen the extent to which Trump takes the advice of these "adults in the room". this calls into question their power and efficacy.
                            What about the value of their advice ? he thinks these so called experts are what got the US into this mess since the last twenty years.

The foreign policy blob, subset of the establishment that always bristles when he ignores them. Unlike other presidents who had to defer, just the way they wanted it.

Who ran DC then ? the establishment

Who runs it now ? the president

If things ever go pear shaped all the fingers will point at him.

Same with Xi, Modi & Putin.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 28 Dec 18,, 20:18.

Comment

Hires and fires as he sees fit? What is this, Mall of America?
                              exercising his powers

Trump's nominees need to be confirmed by the Senate before they serve. Trump is not a CEO, he the President
                              Still confirmed by the Senate. He can let them go if he finds they aren't like minded.

India's on its third defense minster right now. You're about to discover your second.

BTW, CEOs are supposed to be reined in by their Boards, a lesson which Trump obviously has not learned given that he was running a family company. The United States of America is not a family company.
                              Congress does the reining in. If he goes too far they will tie his hands. Turn him into a lame duck.

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                I would argue, and many historians agree with me, that Buchanan was our worst President. His policies and lack of direction as well as cabinet officers openly hostile to the Union.

His presidency resulted in the American Civil War. A stronger hand could have staved off or prevented the Civil War.
                                AR

If the Civil is averted how will slavery in the south end? Plessy v. Ferguson Supreme Court decision of 1896, The Voting Rights Act of 1965. I don't see the South giving up slavery that easily.

Jefferson Davis is saying in 1850

"Do they find in the history of St. Domingo, and in the present condition of Jamaica, under the recent experiments which have been made upon the institution of slavery in the liberation of the blacks, before God, in his wisdom, designed it should be done — do they there find anything to stimulate them to future exertion in the cause of abolition? Or should they not find there satisfactory evidence that their past course was founded in error?"

In October of 1858 "Why, then, in the absence of all control over the subject of African slavery, are you agitated in relation to it? With Pharisaical pretension, it is sometimes said it is a moral obligation to agitate, and I suppose they are going through a sort of vicarious repentance for other men's sins... Who gave them a right to decide that it is a sin? By what standard do they measure it? Not the Constitution; the Constitution recognizes the property in many forms, and imposes obligations in connection with that recognition. Not the Bible; that justifies it. Not the good of society; for if they go where it exists, they find that society recognizes it as good..."

A month later, "Whether by the House or by the People, if an Abolitionist be chosen President of the United States, you will have presented to you the question of whether you will permit the government to pass into the hands of your avowed and implacable enemies... such a result would be a species of revolution by which the purposes of the Government would be destroyed and the observance of its mere forms entitled to no respect. In that event, in such manner as should be most expedient, I should deem it your duty to provide for your safely outside the Union of those who have shown the will, and would have acquired the power, to deprive you of your birthright and reduce you to worse than the Colonial dependence of your fathers."

Two years later J.Davis states:"Property in slaves, recognized as such by the local law of any of the States of the Union, shall stand on the same footing in all constitutional and federal relations as any other species of property so recognized; and, like other property, shall not be subject to be divested or impaired by the local law of any other State, either in escape thereto or of transit or sojourn of the owner therein; and in no case whatever shall such property be subject to be divested or impaired by any legislative act of the United States, or of any of the Territories thereof."

With the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation it becomes UK you want to support the CSA and the practice of slavery againest the the USA which put an end to the practice of slavery. The answer is no.

I know it's hind sight but how can you prevent or stave of the Civil War? If you do it's OK because you save blood and treasure. Oh sure 3,953,761 African Americans live in slavery but would be allowed Three-Fifths Compromise Representation it would be OK for a peaceful nation.

Comment

Working...
                                X