X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    From The Intercept:
    Could someone remind me of the definition of “treason”?
    It’s not for me; I’m asking for a friend.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by martinskors View Post
      Hopefully 2020 will see the end of the political career of the hapless Trump.

It just depends on the Democrats picking the right candidate.

Don't forget in 2016 they are universally considered to have chosen the wrong candidate and she still managed to outperform Trump during the campaign, effortlessly won the three televised debates and managed to outpoll him by almost 3 million votes. Imagine what will happen if they manage to choose the correct candidate next time.....
      So, which candidate or party platform would have resulted in the Democrats getting, oh, say three million more votes than the GOPers?
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
        So, which candidate or party platform would have resulted in the Democrats getting, oh, say three million more votes than the GOPers?
        That has to be the easiest question to answer in the history of questions. The answer is:

A candidate or platform able to deliver more than just liberal electoral strongholds.

Step One: Don't treat non-liberals and non-liberal strongholds with undisguised sneering contempt.
        “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

You should tell your friend to try Google and come to his own conclusions.
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by martinskors View Post
            Hopefully 2020 will see the end of the political career of the hapless Trump.

It just depends on the Democrats picking the right candidate.

Don't forget in 2016 they are universally considered to have chosen the wrong candidate and she still managed to outperform Trump during the campaign, effortlessly won the three televised debates and managed to outpoll him by almost 3 million votes. Imagine what will happen if they manage to choose the correct candidate next time.....
            Hillary's not a bad candidate. She has built-in name recognition, support from practically every section of the party, fundraising credibility, etc. Who are you going to pick that's better than Hillary? Maybe Joe Biden would've done better, particularly in the battleground states where Trump ended up winning, but I don't think that's obvious.

I think the Dems have a problem for 2020, which is that they will have a very fractured field, a lot like the GOP in 2016. That means you can have an absolute idiot win the nomination because the field is so divided, and the Left coalition is much more fractious than the GOP coalition. Also, I believe the Dems have no winner-take-all contests, but do have a lot of super delegates, which means they can definitely have a nasty contested convention.

It's going to be hilarious if all the Dems tear each other apart over who can be the most Woke, alienate a huge chunk of the voting base, and STILL lose in 2020 to probably the biggest dumbass who has ever been in the WH (though, let's be honest, he isn't as bad as James Buchanan).
            Last edited by GVChamp; 12 Mar 18,, 14:43.
            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• GVChamp,

That means you can have an absolute idiot win the nomination because the field is so divided, and the Left coalition is much more fractious than the GOP coalition.
              i feel like i'm jinxing it given our earlier discussions on the topic...but i still say this is a lot less likely than what happened with the RNC, precisely because any candidate would need to appeal to the entire coalition. IE, Sanders is a lefty but he's not an absolute idiot like the current guy in the WH. moreover absent another Obama like phenomenon showing up, the perspective 2020 field is pretty much standard Dem. neither Gillibrand nor Biden is exactly Trumpian.

Also, I believe the Dems have no winner-take-all contests, but do have a lot of super delegates, which means they can definitely have a nasty contested convention.
              i think this may be changing.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign...nating-process

It's going to be hilarious if all the Dems tear each other apart over who can be the most Woke, alienate a huge chunk of the voting base, and STILL lose in 2020 to probably the biggest dumbass who has ever been in the WH (though, let's be honest, he isn't as bad as James Buchanan).
              there's always that concern but i think Ted Cruz was perfectly correct that Dems will crawl over broken glass to vote against Trump. and if it means voting for Bugs Bunny, then so be it. i mean, this is worse than Bush Derangement Syndrome, the only difference is that the nasty untrue things that Dems thought about Bush are pretty much spot on with the current guy.
              There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Betraying one's country.

Comment

• https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ction-decision

Mueller Weighs Putting Off Trump Obstruction Decision Delay would let him wrap up less explosive parts of inquiry Obstruction decision might undercut probe, one way or another

Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation into whether President Donald Trump obstructed justice is said to be close to completion, but he may set it aside while he finishes other key parts of his probe, such as possible collusion and the hacking of Democrats, according to current and former U.S. officials.

That’s because Mueller may calculate that if he tries to bring charges in the obstruction case -- the part that may hit closest to Trump personally -- witnesses may become less cooperative in other parts of the probe, or the president may move to shut it down altogether.

The revelation is a peek into Mueller’s calculations as he proceeds with his many-headed probe, while pressure builds from the president’s advisers and other Republicans to show progress or wrap it up.

The obstruction portion of the probe could likely be completed after several key outstanding interviews, including with the president and his son, Donald Trump Jr. The president’s lawyers have been negotiating with Mueller’s team over such an encounter since late last year. But even if Trump testifies in the coming weeks, Mueller may make a strategic calculation to keep his findings on obstruction secret, according to the current and former U.S. officials, who discussed the strategy on condition of anonymity.

Any clear outcome of the obstruction inquiry could be used against Mueller: Filing charges against Trump or his family could prompt the president to take action to fire him. Publicly clearing Trump of obstruction charges -- as the president’s lawyers have requested -- could be used by his allies to build pressure for the broader investigation to be shut down.

Comment

• It looks like the Democratic candidate Lamb has defeated the Republican candidate Saccone in the special election for the 18th Congressional District of Pennsylvania. There will likely be a recount, but as of this moment Lamb has a lead of 627 votes with 100% of precincts reporting and absentee ballots having been counted. This is in a district that Trump carried over Clinton by 20 points in the 2016 Presidential election.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/13/polit...est/index.html
                    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                      It looks like the Democratic candidate Lamb has defeated the Republican candidate Saccone in the special election for the 18th Congressional District of Pennsylvania. There will likely be a recount, but as of this moment Lamb has a lead of 627 votes with 100% of precincts reporting and absentee ballots having been counted. This is in a district that Trump carried over Clinton by 20 points in the 2016 Presidential election.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/13/polit...est/index.html
                      So, like 999 seats to go?

LOL.

Comment

• laugh away...a district that went 20+ for Trump going Dem.

there's roughly 115 Republican House seats within that margin.
                        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
                          So, like 999 seats to go?

LOL.
                          and here I though there were only 238 Republican seats to go. I guess my old Texas Instruments calculator has seen better days.

Comment

• Obama, hired Fusion GPS to weave a narrative against Romney in 2012. So, Hillary was following his example?
                            http://dailycaller.com/2018/03/13/fu...investigation/

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              and here I though there were only 238 Republican seats to go. I guess my old Texas Instruments calculator has seen better days.
                              I guess it has.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.4189791dbca6

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                                laugh away...a district that went 20+ for Trump going Dem.

there's roughly 115 Republican House seats within that margin.
                                And the party that lost 1000 or so seats during the Obama era has changed how? Trump is very unpopular = good for dems, but then what? Until they come to grips with why they got decimated despite having a very popular president it's just not going to last, and I don't see that happening any time soon. It's still the same bullshit and excuses.

Comment

Working...
                                X