This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...9ef_story.html

bye bye McMaster. so, how many adults in the room are left?
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...9ef_story.html

Why does it matter? the American people did not choose the so-called "adults". They chose Trump. They need to get on with whatever he is doing and suffer the consequences/ reap the benefits. If they do not like it, they can vote the other way in 2018 (reduce him to lame duck) and 2020 (oust him).
      "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• They need to get on with whatever he is doing and suffer the consequences/ reap the benefits. If they do not like it, they can vote the other way in 2018 (reduce him to lame duck) and 2020 (oust him).
        this makes sense from a partisan POV, it is stupid from an -American- POV.

this is true anytime a competent person gets kicked out, especially in the national security sphere. a lot of people who didn't vote for this administration would prefer not to suffer the consequences, especially if the consequences mean war.
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

i think the recent elections have shown that while there may be an issue, Trump hatred goes pretty far in papering over it. that's a fair statement for both sides. GOP sure has plenty of issues, but HRC hatred went pretty far in papering over it. Dem long-term issues or no, i'm looking forward pretty eagerly to the 2018 midterms, are you?

would be more problematic if the GOP actually attempted to contest these demographics, but seeing as how they're doing their best to drive 'em away, that's a perfectly legitimate aspiration.

i mean, your idea of resolving the Dem long-term problem boils down to, "Dems would win more if they were more like the GOP", yes?
          Did I say that? I must have missed it.

They didn't have to contest it when you drove away the biggest demographic and handed it to them. You think you're own shit doesn't stink? The dems managed to turn middle Americans who were Obama voters into Trump voters and you're solution to the problem is just wait for there to be more minorities... can you be more overtly bigoted? Nah, no issues there at all.

Comment

• wooglin,

The dems managed to turn middle Americans who were Obama voters into Trump voters and you're solution to the problem is just wait for there to be more minorities... can you be more overtly bigoted?
            "waiting" isn't much of a solution, is it? after this election, if Dems just chanted "demographics is destiny" and did nothing else, yeah....that would be pretty stupid of them.

no...i'm just pointing out that the long-term challenge is worse for the GOP, not for the Dems.

retaking the Obama voters? that's one part of the strategy and can be done in the short-term, and IS being done, as the recent special elections have shown. if Dems have some debilitating long-term problem as you think they do, then you have to wonder why the GOP isn't looking forward to the next round of elections.

Comment

https://www.washingtonpost.com/ampht...9ef_story.html

Turns out McMaster isnt leaving yet. Press reports are apparently Kelly maneuvering to push him out. HRM is expected to return to the military at some point in the next months, with a 4th star. Meanwhile, still unclear who will replace him. Bolton is liked by Trump but disliked by others:

Trump gives McMaster the Tillerson treatment
              https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...cmaster-467782

Comment

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
                We seem to have different ideas of what decimation means, so lets be specific. During the GWB years repubs lost 324 seats nationally. During the Obama years the dems lost 968 seats nationally. You want to pretend these numbers are comparable... well thanks for highlighting my point then. Until you guys deal with why you got DECIMATED and can run on something more than "we're not Trump" then I wouldn't get too comfortable with short term gains.
                Just a note since you mentioned "what decimation means". It was a Roman tradition of the late Republican era for legions that fled a battle. Every tenth man was killed - hence deci - mation from the Latin for the number 10 from which we get 'decimal' and our normal base 10 counting system. I do hope you guys are not decimating each other.

Comment

this makes sense from a partisan POV, it is stupid from an -American- POV.

this is true anytime a competent person gets kicked out, especially in the national security sphere. a lot of people who didn't vote for this administration would prefer not to suffer the consequences, especially if the consequences mean war.
                  It is a philosophical view, not a partisan one.

Every nation with the right to choose their leaders, deserve what they get. Americans now have a philandering, temperamental, short-sighted, buffoonish racist at the helm, its because the American People and the American election system had chosen him. They have also chosen their legislatures, who want to enrich the top 0.9% at the expense of others and take away their health care, so they deserve these people too.
                  "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Wow, judgmental much? Or is just time to renew that prescription? I did not know Hillary was posting on this board or did you just visit India or could we just blame it on a fall? She has a number of those in the past few years.
                    Last edited by surfgun; 17 Mar 18,, 17:17.

Comment

• Originally posted by surfgun View Post
                      Wow, judgmental much? Or is just time to renew that prescription?
                      You sow what you reap. It's in the Bible, look it up.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-n...224-story.html

Comment

• So McGabe fired two days before he can claim a pension?

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                          So McGabe fired two days before he can claim a pension?
                          Yes. More from the I.G. will become public in time.
                          http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/30/de...investigation/

Comment

Wow, judgmental much? Or is just time to renew that prescription? I did not know Hillary was posting on this board or did you just visit India or could we just blame it on a fall? She has a number of those in the past few years.
                            Oh, I see you edited your post. Where does India come into this? Ethno-nationalism much?

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                              Oh, I see you edited your post. Where does India come into this? Ethno-nationalism much?
                              It had to do with Hillary bad mouthing her country while in that particular country. Do you recall that she fell at least three times on that trip?
                              One should be more careful with the slandering of fellow countrymen.

Comment

It had to do with Hillary bad mouthing her country while in that particular country. Do you recall that she fell at least three times on that trip?
                                One should be more careful with the slandering of fellow countrymen.
                                Since I am not running for office, I will exercise my 1st Amendment rights any which way I want. Trump does it all the time while running for office and while being in office.
                                Also, do you realize that I am actually saying Trump should have a chance to get his policies implemented? Or did that escape you?

Comment

Working...
                                X