Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 76777879808182838485
Results 1,261 to 1,272 of 1272

Thread: 2018 American Political Scene

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    we certainly will, but i actually meant this in a more long-term sense. George W Bush essentially turned Millennials to the left. Trump is doing the same thing with Gen Z.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Millennials are ethnically not the same as other generations, which is a major reason why they vote left. 2016 exit polls I am seeing on CNN say Trump still won white voters in the Millennial bracket (though by not as large a margin as he did among older generations).

Now the Facebook feed is probably trending damned liberal, but that's because Yuppie Liberals live in the isolated bubbles that thought Mondale, Dukkakis, and McGovern were just awesome guys. That and people increasingly live in polarized counties and in polarized social groups. I think I know like one evangelical protestant and they make up a huge chunk of the nation. That's a bubble. And if I am living in a bubble, I am damn sure everyone else is too.

Also you might not like some of their actual policies, they aren't neo-liberals! It's not like these are the kind of Democrats we've been used to for the last couple decades. They are as toxic to the Democratic establishment as they are to the GOP (much like the Tea Party is a den of snakes that makes it impossible for the GOP leadership to govern).
    Last edited by GVChamp; 10 Sep 18, at 14:50.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    GVChamp,

Millennials are ethnically not the same as other generations, which is a major reason why they vote left.
    pretty sure it's in the "all of the above" category, and intertwined. to paraphrase the old lefty quote, ethnicity is not destiny, with al gore just barely edging past bush in the under-30s in 2000 (the first year the oldest Millennials could vote). between Bush and the trend of the GOP to go all-in for the disgruntled blue-collar white vote, things have changed.

2016 exit polls I am seeing on CNN say Trump still won white voters in the Millennial bracket (though by not as large a margin as he did among older generations)
    Trump actually did rather worse among white millennials than Romney as a whole. but Trump did rather better in crucial swing-states among the non-college educated whites, Millennials included.

in any case, there was a lot of excited talk among conservatives and the usual lefty hand-wringing over the supposed more-conservative tendencies of Gen Z, but Trump is doing his best to cure them of -that- particular notion.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    AR,

I do not the political balance of parties in any country should be a constraint on the duty of a public servant.
    Totally concur
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Gen Z is f'ing weird. Now I understand how older generations felt about my generation.
    "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by GVChamp View Post
    Gen Z is f'ing weird. Now I understand how older generations felt about my generation.
    I guess next you'll tell them to get off your lawn...
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    I guess next you'll tell them to get off your lawn...
    I literally had to do that just the other day and I'm only in my mid-twenties. This is how it starts isn't it?
    "Draft beer, not people."

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Millennials don't have lawns for the Gen Z to get off of!!!

I am okay with the neighbor kids running around the back yard, because it's basically a shared backyard (and I like my neighbor). Now if the daughter would stop picking my damn strawberries, we'd be golden...

Our lawn was about 50-60% weeds when we moved in. Now it's actually grass! Grass!

Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    Dissagree if for no more reason than Bush 43 and Obama wrecked the international order.

The way Obama's was for the Dems? Guess we will see come mid terms.
    Enought of the false equivalence already! Don’t pull that “oh, well, everyone does it” and expct to get away with it around here.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    Enought of the false equivalence already! Don’t pull that “oh, well, everyone does it” and expct to get away with it around here.
    He has to defend Trump somehow. If that's what the 'defense of Trump' has been reduced to (false equivalence), well what else did you expect?
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat ~ Theodore Roosevelt

I don't see how it's false equivelance. The Obama years really did weaken the Dems in all sorts of places. They have been slowly shedding lower class white voters for a while, which is how previously competitive states like Ohio are now GOP leaning states, and previously blue states like PA, WI, and MI went (R) in the last election.

Z saying that Obama and D screwing up the international order is in response to me saying that FP is not as big of a deal as it once was.

Thread Information