Page 78 of 135 FirstFirst ... 69707172737475767778798081828384858687 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2015

Thread: 2018 American Political Scene

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    I'm trying to figure out what 280 character flying monkeys will leap out of 45's Twitter feed if the GOP loses the House come November. Will he claim the Republicans weren't Trumpian enough, gaslight that the Russians/Chinese/Muslim Brotherhood/Zionists/reptoids were colluding with the Democrats, or more likely some combination of both (I'm betting more of the former and some of the later)?
    as far as i can tell, I don't think Trump himself personally minds if the GOP loses the House; passing legislation is not something he's particularly invested in. he's interested in the office itself.

being able to stand on a soapbox while claiming prosecution, THAT he is interested in...that's how he'll get his faithful to come out for 2020.

so yeah i expect to see more of the blaming and conspiracy-theorizing that has become par for course.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Senior Contributor
    Cohen plea deal?

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Cohen plea deal?
    Yep, tenative plea deal...which, for your average ordinary person, would be cause for shitting their pants.

In the case of a sociopathic shit stain like Donald Trump, it's cause for more whining about being persecuted, more unhinged midnight tweets and of course more Orwellian soundbytes from his equally unhinged consigliere, The "Honorable" Rudolph Giuliani.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/mich...ry?id=57310974
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

"The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    as far as i can tell, I don't think Trump himself personally minds if the GOP loses the House; passing legislation is not something he's particularly invested in. he's interested in the office itself.

being able to stand on a soapbox while claiming prosecution, THAT he is interested in...that's how he'll get his faithful to come out for 2020.

so yeah i expect to see more of the blaming and conspiracy-theorizing that has become par for course.
    More opportunity for him to piss all over the Office of the Presidency. The damage to the Office of the Presidency will out live him after he is gone and I mean gone like down the Styx...

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Cohen plea deal?
    You mean the plea deal out a little while ago where Cohen implicates Trump in knowing all about what he was doing since he was doing it at his behest? That, one?

Lately, I have looked forward to my every Sunday morning entertainment via the inevitable Trump tweet storm. This being only Tuesday I wonder if he is going to wait before going after his fixer big time or not?

Senior Contributor
    Manafort guilty too. Walls are closing in.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Walls are closing in.
    My thoughts exactly. It's taken a long time to get to this point but I have a feeling it's going to accelerate from here. Mueller's got Cohen flipped and he just testified that he broke the law at the behest of one Donald John Trump.

Just about time for the floodgates to open. Can't wait to hear what Agent Orange and his senile lackey have to say about this one.
    “You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job in this constitutional republic if the Senate determines that your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role… because impeachment is not about punishment. Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.”
    ~ Lindsey Graham

"The notion that you can withhold information and documents from Congress no matter whether you are the party in power or not in power is wrong. Respect for the rule of law must mean something, irrespective of the vicissitudes of political cycles."
    ~ Trey Gowdy

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    what's the total now?

Flynn, Manafort, Cohen, Gates, Papadopoulos...

and in unrelated but relevant corruption issues, oh, the first 2 congressmen to support Trump, Collins and Hunter.

then comes the administration officials whom didn't get charged but were also corrupt in spending public money, like Pruitt, Carson, Shulkin, and Price. not to mention Trump's own family members.

Teapot Dome Scandal and even Watergate is starting to look like small potatoes compared to this crap.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Patron
    Unfortunately Trump's base does not care, as long as he cuts taxes and persecutes minorities.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
    I really hate this new Westworld narrative. I want a full refund (or if I'm a Host, fire that hack Robert Ford and his cronies and get some actual writing talent onboard. Turns out Fargo/Carl Hiassen/It's Always Sunny World isn't so much fun to live in after all).

I'm trying to figure out what 280 character flying monkeys will leap out of 45's Twitter feed if the GOP loses the House come November. Will he claim the Republicans weren't Trumpian enough, gaslight that the Russians/Chinese/Muslim Brotherhood/Zionists/reptoids were colluding with the Democrats, or more likely some combination of both (I'm betting more of the former and some of the later)?
    It's what he wants. Trump to operate needs an enemy. It's easier to throw hand grenades at Congress for obstructing him when it's controlled by the other party. There's precedent as well, Congressional Democrats got destroyed in '94 but provided the impetus for Clinton getting reelected in '96.

Problem is though thinking about it, Democratic House come the new year means impeachment proceedings are almost a certainty right? The Republicans can't even act like this is out of bounds, they got all the way to the Senate with Clinton for more minor items.
    Last edited by rj1; 22 Aug 18, at 12:55.

Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Quote Originally Posted by TopHatter View Post
    My thoughts exactly. It's taken a long time to get to this point but I have a feeling it's going to accelerate from here. Mueller's got Cohen flipped and he just testified that he broke the law at the behest of one Donald John Trump.

Just about time for the floodgates to open. Can't wait to hear what Agent Orange and his senile lackey have to say about this one.
    Well Watergate took almost 3 years to play out...and the level and breadth of high crimes & misdemeanors of this bunch is far and away beyond anything Nixon & crew did. And if the House flips in November prepare to get 2 years of investigations and House hearings right up to the 2020 election.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Well Watergate took almost 3 years to play out...and the level and breadth of high crimes & misdemeanors of this bunch is far and away beyond anything Nixon & crew did. And if the House flips in November prepare to get 2 years of investigations and House hearings right up to the 2020 election.
    Absolutely right. The always-on media cycle makes it seem like it has been a long time, but in reality Mueller is moving along at a good pace.

Interesting comparison--

1972 general election: 2.9% GDP, 5.6% unemployment, 3.1% inflation previous 6 months
    Nixon landslide victory. First election with voting age at 18 years.

GOPers +12 House (to 192, 44.2%)
    Dems +2 Senate (to 56)

1974 mid-terms: 0.2% GDP, 5.6% unemployment, 11.3% inflation previous 6 months
    Three months after Nixon’s resignation. Energy crisis.

Dems +49 House (to 291, 66.9%)
    Dems +4 Senate (to 60)
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Quote Originally Posted by rj1 View Post
    It's what he wants. Trump to operate needs an enemy. It's easier to throw hand grenades at Congress for obstructing him when it's controlled by the other party. There's precedent as well, Congressional Democrats got destroyed in '94 but provided the impetus for Clinton getting reelected in '96.

Problem is though thinking about it, Democratic House come the new year means impeachment proceedings are almost a certainty right? The Republicans can't even act like this is out of bounds, they got all the way to the Senate with Clinton for more minor items.
    This is why I want the Democrats to be short of taking the House this fall
    "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    This is why I want the Democrats to be short of taking the House this fall
    that's a stupid calculation, even if we're talking straight politics and nothing else.

Clinton won the '96 election because he was a reasonably competent President and he had a booming economy. House Republicans overreached via impeachment given the circumstances of the Clinton case, but the overall political effect of them doing so was inconsequential compared to these greater aforementioned factors.

Trump's case is immeasurably different. his incompetence is evident and the only thing holding him up at all is the economy.

moreover, the structural Dem weakness is in Congress-- not the Presidential election, where Dems have structural strengths.

if there's a wave election, as a Dem I want the Dems to take full advantage now, not "pass" because of minor consequences in 2 years' time.

and speaking as an American, and NOT a partisan, I want Congress to start doing its job as a legitimate check on the executive, to include serious investigations into executive wrongdoing.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Well Watergate took almost 3 years to play out...and the level and breadth of high crimes & misdemeanors of this bunch is far and away beyond anything Nixon & crew did.
    To hear Trump and Trump's supporters tell it, nothing wrong happened and this is just a witchhunt.

Trump, him I can can understand. I worked for a man very much like him for 5 years: Textbook case of a narcissitic sociopath.

His supporters though...some very smart people are somehow ignoring all of this. Ignorning Trump's thousands (literally) of lies, some of them staggering in their implications.

His supporters claim he's a "smart successful businessman", while ignoring his shocking ignorance of economics.

They love his "policies" while shrugging off his Orwellian denials of reality.

What in the actual f--k is WRONG with these people??
    ~ Lindsey Graham

~ Trey Gowdy

Thread Information