X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
    I
    For the lower middle class it might be out of reach, but it was always pretty much out of reach. They can still pick up 2-year degrees and get jobs for which they are qualified, and then possibly get a full 4-year degree if the job market smiles upon them.

community colleges are pretty cheap, in my state, 12 credit semester in community college is 3-4k which is not much. 2 years community college cost same per semester. even by lower middle class standards it is not out of reach.
    Last edited by omon; 20 Apr 18,, 20:14.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
      Because I've seen this before and everytime it's been a headache and heartache, especially with the military. There is a mine detection system sitting in a CF warehouse that cost well over a million dollars and a $10,000 dog does a better job. FCS was supposed to allow us reduce manpower and firepower needs but all it did was to let the enemy leak through our lines like an open damn.

Cameras do not replace eyes and AIs do not replace a man.
      We can all breathe easy now, robots aren't going to take away high paying jobs anytime soon : D

Comment

• cameras may replace human eyes one day, the donors eyes that is.
        "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" B. Franklin

Comment

Tough shit. Deal with it. :-)
          Rubbing alcohol is for outside wounds, and drinking alcohol is for inside wounds.
          Heh, indeed.
          Last edited by Red Team; 20 Apr 18,, 23:40.
          "Draft beer, not people."

Comment

• Originally posted by omon View Post
            cameras may replace human eyes one day, the donors eyes that is.
            This got me to thinking - wouldn't it be great if we could be see in wavelengths, both deep in the infrared, and way beyond the ultraviolet?

Unfortunately, no matter what sort of ocular replacements were invented, our brains just aren't wired to see in those wavelengths. Someday, there probably will be ocular implants/replacements that have the built-in capability to perform tasks such as false color imaging, etc., which we currently use computers to do, but this technology will someday be available in a miniaturized format.
            Last edited by Ironduke; 21 Apr 18,, 01:02.
            "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Sergeants and Captains leave the military because of the lack of career choices. The GS left the USMC and is making damned good money in the Construction Trade. So, yes, work ethic first and foremost.
              Yea but I'm not pounding nails or gluing pipe. I did that just long enough, and took classes at the local college, to meet the qualifications needed to take the test and become a contractor.

I'm the one that pays the master plumber/electrician to do the work. And it took far less time to make money my way then it did for them to work up the ranks. And I make more money.

You're serious. Drones are not going to tell you the water table, soil composition, nor what kind of bottom you got be it clay or bedrock.
              Actually they can. Right now its Helo/small plane with LIDAR. It will get smaller Will it replace human surveyors? No but that 5-6 man crew just became 1-2.

You know what replaced those first batch of robots? People. It was faster and easier to put an assembly line back up and give the training and tools to the people to meet the new specs.
              And know what replaced a lot of those people? Improved robots. Notice all the high skill jobs are done by robots

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                This got me to thinking - wouldn't it be great if we could be see in wavelengths, both deep in the infrared, and way beyond the ultraviolet?

Unfortunately, no matter what sort of ocular replacements were invented, our brains just aren't wired to see in those wavelengths. Someday, there probably will be ocular implants/replacements that have the built-in capability to perform tasks such as false color imaging, etc., which we currently use computers to do, but this technology will someday be available in a miniaturized format.
                Oh please, all you need is a woman's barrette, spraypainted gold. Voila, problem solved.

Seriously though, things like that are being worked. Who knows what kind of breakthroughs we'll have in the next 20-30 years.
                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Isn't it ironic - that the technology they had in ST:TNG in the year 2373, that was supposed to be nearly 400 years ahead of its time... that we rapidly exceeded that fictional technology in the real world, in just 10 or 15 years?

Comment

Isn't it ironic - that the technology they had in ST:TNG in the year 2373, that was supposed to be nearly 400 years ahead of its time... that we rapidly exceeded that fictional technology in the real world, in just 10 or 15 years?
                    Oh so true. What's even better is the technology that Star Trek (TOS and TNG) postulated inspired people to actually go out and invent it.
                    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                      Oh so true. What's even better is the technology that Star Trek (TOS and TNG) postulated inspired people to actually go out and invent it.
                      I read somewhere that the first flip phone was called the 'Star Tac' - the manufacturer wanted to called it the 'Star Trek Phone' but Paramount or whomever wouldn't sell them the rights to do so.

Not the first time a science fiction writer actually invented something - the biological AutoCAD program running in Arthur C. Clarke's mind invented stuff like geostationary satellites long before scientists and engineers turned them into a reality.

Comment

That's next year's crop that has yet to be planted. If it's not worth it, the farmers won't plant. It's as simple as that.
                        http://thehill.com/policy/finance/38...mposes-tariffs

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                        So, start marketing yourself to places who can't afford upfront investment for the hardware and software.

Yes, get your work ethic into place. There is absolutely zero point in arguing the unfairness in all of this. If it puts food on the table and a roof over your head, do it. You've got Indian doctors driving cabs in NY. They're not marching up and down demanding the US lowers its standards in providing Medical Licenses.

Sergeants and Captains leave the military because of the lack of career choices. The GS left the USMC and is making damned good money in the Construction Trade. So, yes, work ethic first and foremost.
                        Let's get one thing straight. I am not advocating laid off people sit at home twiddling their thumbs. I am advocating for training and re-skilling programs (technology, green energy, AI, ML) that aim to train people who would come off jobs, to get into new ones. For example, surveyors can be taught data analysis and photogrammetry. However, the Trump administration is reacting to an autmobile revolution by breeding more horses.

They're patches, designed to buy you time so you can do a proper repair. I certainly won't rely on a patched ABS pipe lasting the life of a building. I, too, will patch that toilet pipe until I can get a contractor to dig up and replaced the damaged pipe.
                        They still reduce the number of manual repairs needed, hence they reduce jobs. Many of these technologies do not do away with manual work, they just reduce them. Either way, headcount is reduced

You're serious. Drones are not going to tell you the water table, soil composition, nor what kind of bottom you got be it clay or bedrock.

You know what replaced those first batch of robots? People. It was faster and easier to put an assembly line back up and give the training and tools to the people to meet the new specs.
                        What the GS said.

3 deaths so far in testing. Confidence is not high.
                        Do you realize that the testing programs have not stopped?

Tell that to your shareholders when you don't meet your quarterly production.
                        Huh?? DevOps and Agile increases feature release cadence. These technologies have been implemented across industries. Case in point, Windows 10. Before WIN 10, Windows used to release major versions every 3-5 years. Now they release smaller size updates at least twice a year. Same for Office now that they have moved to O365. Features and updates are now coming thick and fast, but in smaller chunks. And yet, a lot of lower end tech jobs have gone away. Black box testing is now pretty much history in the technology world

We still have the bayonet.
                        Ah, the bayonet. Tell me, how exactly do the drone operators use their bayonets? Cut the envelopes on their paychecks? Oh wait, those are probably direct deposited now.

As far as I know the last US Army bayonet charge was in 1951.

Now you are grasping at straws.

Because I've seen this before and everytime it's been a headache and heartache, especially with the military. There is a mine detection system sitting in a CF warehouse that cost well over a million dollars and a $10,000 dog does a better job. FCS was supposed to allow us reduce manpower and firepower needs but all it did was to let the enemy leak through our lines like an open damn.
                        Industry is not the military.

Cameras do not replace eyes and AIs do not replace a man.
                        Tell that to the support guy whose job has been taken over by chatbots. And before you ask, yes I have implemented them myself. Has the entire support team gone away? No, of course not. But headcount has reduced because users raise less tickets when chatbots can answer basic questions.
                        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

that is actually very good idea, you are right our brain probably can't process that spectrum, or it could be the limitation of the eye, who knows, but the cam may have processor, that converts invisible spectrum to visible to the brain, same way pretty much every camera except iphone can see ir, you are right so far it is not available, in small size, but i'm sure soon it will be. especially with use of nanotech.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                            I am still waiting for that damn warp drive
                            "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Those are Chinese owned ships. None of them are returning to the US. Five of them just found new buyers. China is not the only one looking for cheap soy.

Originally posted by antimony View Post
                              Let's get one thing straight. I am not advocating laid off people sit at home twiddling their thumbs. I am advocating for training and re-skilling programs (technology, green energy, AI, ML) that aim to train people who would come off jobs, to get into new ones. For example, surveyors can be taught data analysis and photogrammetry.
                              No one is getting rid of surveyors. All the tech is going to do is to alloiw them to do more. Yeah a 6 man team just became a 2 man team but that only means that there are 3 teams instead of 1. There is that much demand.

However, the Trump administration is reacting to an autmobile revolution by breeding more horses.
                              No one is stopping anyone from seeking re-training or getting the proper education. Trump is not spending one single cent to protect industries under threat. It is PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY to put food on the table and a roof over your head. There are tons of programs out there to help you do just that. To blame Trump for anyone's failure to provide food and shelter is a cop out.

They still reduce the number of manual repairs needed, hence they reduce jobs. Many of these technologies do not do away with manual work, they just reduce them. Either way, headcount is reduced
                              Not one single bit. Those patches are expensive to begin with, requiring more material and manpower to manfuacture and the patch still needs to be repaired, not reducing a repair cost nor manpower by 1 hour or by 1 person.

What the GS said.
                              The GS proves my point. I used Master Plumber/Electrician as the example but the GS is EARNING his money through the Trades; NOT requiring government retraining to make apps for Iphone.

Do you realize that the testing programs have not stopped?
                              When was the last time a fighter jet test pilot died? The testing is not mature.

Huh?? DevOps and Agile increases feature release cadence. These technologies have been implemented across industries. Case in point, Windows 10. Before WIN 10, Windows used to release major versions every 3-5 years. Now they release smaller size updates at least twice a year. Same for Office now that they have moved to O365. Features and updates are now coming thick and fast, but in smaller chunks. And yet, a lot of lower end tech jobs have gone away. Black box testing is now pretty much history in the technology world
                              Software. In all honesty, I don't see the big cahoots. Google OS is just a fancy UNIX and the only reason why Win10 is dominating is because MS stopped support for XP. Server level software I can see need expanding but desktop? Since when do you need 8 gigs of ram to type up a memo?

However, no matter how you word this. Production MUST be shut down to implement new hardware, especially new hardware, and new software. You can test everything up the ying-yang but the final test is an actual production run and then deal with the headaches and heartaches that inevitably will come up. Now is this faster or slower than simply repairing what went wrong in the first place?

There's a reason why industries did not want to go off XP. It ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ah, the bayonet. Tell me, how exactly do the drone operators use their bayonets?
                              XBox birdbrains don't use bayonets. And drones don't dare to go where bellycrawlers do.

Cut the envelopes on their paychecks? Oh wait, those are probably direct deposited now.
                              For glorified XBox Birdbrains? Only with a Gurkha RSM supervision

As far as I know the last US Army bayonet charge was in 1951.

Now you are grasping at straws.
                              Last Western military bayonet charge was 1 PWRR 2011 against the Taliban. Before that, the RAR did it in Vietnam. And the British Army, including the Gurkhas, did several uphill charges against the Argentines. 2004 Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders charged the Iraqis. USMC reguarlarily fixed bayonets as a means of intimitation for crowd control.

You do not want to see combat videos from the Soviet-Afghan and the Chechen Wars.

You don't want to test military history with me.

Industry is not the military.
                              There are a hell of a lot of farmers who disagree with you. Same shit. Different bowl.

Tell that to the support guy whose job has been taken over by chatbots. And before you ask, yes I have implemented them myself. Has the entire support team gone away? No, of course not. But headcount has reduced because users raise less tickets when chatbots can answer basic questions.
                              Not because of chatbots but an entire new generation who grew up on iphones (costs) and got trained on apps (more costs). This generation knows howto search for answers. This is a far cry from the generation who got introduced raw to LOTUS-123 and WORDPERFECT.

Yes, you reduced your team but only because someone else paid to train your users.
                              Last edited by Officer of Engineers; 21 Apr 18,, 18:47.
                              Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by omon View Post
                                that is actually very good idea, you are right our brain probably can't process that spectrum, or it could be the limitation of the eye, who knows, but the cam may have processor, that converts invisible spectrum to visible to the brain, same way pretty much every camera except iphone can see ir, you are right so far it is not available, in small size, but i'm sure soon it will be. especially with use of nanotech.
                                I've done thought experiments thinking about what aliens, who may have biological optics wired to see electromagnetic radiation in other wavelengths, would see if they came to Earth.

An alien who sees in the 2.4Ghz spectrum would see everything being lit up by all of our internet signals, and we'd appear to be human-shaped but translucent like jellyfish. A dog would likewise be dog-shaped but translucent. They would be able to see through the walls of a typical American house, it'd be murky and translucent, but they would probably see nails and other metal objects floating in this translucent solid structure. And they'd see us through the walls as well, translucent creatures milling about in a translucent structure.

I've told people when I help set up wireless internet devices, to imagine that the device is giving off a type of light you can't see, but that your device has "eyes" of sorts and needs to be able to "see" it. I then describe what types of materials are transparent and which ones are opaque. I find it's a pretty useful way to break it down for them.

Probably not a good idea to get into the aliens stuff though until they really get to know you. Fun stuff to think about though.
                                Last edited by Ironduke; 21 Apr 18,, 19:44.

Comment

Working...
                                X