This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    That's uranium. He's using Pu which is 6 pounds of uranium to produce one pound of plutonium.
    But is it credible that he has a functioning deployable warhead? One that he can stick on an IRBM or ICBM etc and actually function?

So far all we've seen are nuclear devices that are probably going to turn their mountain test site into a collapsed pile of radioactive rubble and dust (hooray for fallout)...oh and a gadget that may or may not be a proper warhead.
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
      Citation, please.
      https://www.forbes.com/2009/08/27/te...l#70d5b953359a

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
        In order for the law to be applied equally, we'd need to throw a lot of other people, Republicans not to put too fine a point on it, in prison as well.
        I bet Petraus, Manafort, and Flynn would love to get the FBI lovin that Clinton, Mills, Podesta and Abedin got...

It'd be easier to say "Anybody who isn't James Mattis, HR McMaster or John Kelly", but hell, let's take a brief look at this freak show:

Pick Any Trump Family Member
        Steve Bannon
        Betsy DeVos
        Tom Price
        Steve Mnuchin
        Scott Pruitt
        Michael T. Flynn
        David J. Shulkin
        Leandro Rizzuto Jr
        Kathleen Hartnett-White

These are people Trump has either nominated, appointed or has/had at his elbow. It's hardly an exhaustive list. Swamp creatures and lunatics all.
        DeVos at least is doing yoemans work trying to undo the horrid presumed guilt guidelines imposed by Obama via Title IX.

I wish I had time to thoroughly factcheck all of that. Anyone else want to weigh in?
        Bueller, Bueller?

She's a pretty loathsome person in general, it's certainly true. But I would expect a rigged system would've guaranteed to her to win.
        Look at the media coverage and then look at who in the media she was paying via Fusion GPS

Agree to disagree. Ratcheting up the tension on the Korean Peninsula with schoolyard insults is hardly productive or conducive to keeping a lid on things. Trump's "bloody nose" to "Rocket Man" is a fine way to get thousands of South Koreans killed in a matter of minutes.
        They are not dead yet. Kruchev baked down before JFK, so the strategy of verbal confrontation combined with strategic ambiguity works, or can work anyway.

Comment

But is it credible that he has a functioning deployable warhead? One that he can stick on an IRBM or ICBM etc and actually function?

So far all we've seen are nuclear devices that are probably going to turn their mountain test site into a collapsed pile of radioactive rubble and dust (hooray for fallout)...oh and a gadget that may or may not be a proper warhead.
          No, there is no proof he has a deployable warhead. What we know he does have is fission and boosted fission technology. His last blast wasn't truly thermonuclear in scale but was bigger than a normal fission weapon.

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
            Probably not the correct sub-forum to ask, but what's the intent of the "bloody nose" and what can the US even realistically expect to accomplish? I've read that we wouldn't be able to eliminate their nuclear capacity with such a strike, so on that front it seems pointless. But I've also read that NK does not yet have solid-fueled ICBMs, and my impression is that liquid-fueled ICBMs need to be fueled prior to launch, which we can see, so we'd still have a strike option against NK (if we wanted). Disrupting the missile testing and missile infrastructure might then be useful, even if you can't disrupt the nuclear infrastructure.
            The threats can make the norks nervous and paranoid and think maybe they can... Public sourced intell says we can't unless we can neutralize the HARTS that house the 170mm Koskan long range artillery which can fire HE and CW shells into Seoul. We can do that, but it wont be a bloody nose, it'll be every B-2 and B-1 we have dropping JDAM's along the DMZ whiles the navy sends in a massive swarm of Tomahawks. The fact that 1-2 Ohio class SSGN's are somewhere off the Korean coast has to make Kim nervous. He can't detect them or counter them.

Comment

I do not subscribe that the NKs have an operational nuclear arsenal. RV development has been lacking. More over, their ICBM tests has been less than spectacular. For every success, there has been two failures, their last one was detonated mid flight.

But this also mean that they're working hard to correct their mistakes.
              Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
                The article in the Chosun Ilbo, the source reportedly being North Korean in China speaking to Radio Free Asia.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/...020501359.html

I've read some speculation that the refugee camps that China's reportedly been building on the border of NK aren't refugee camps at all, but are army camps instead.
                At this point, all the reports I've read traces back to this one newspaper. I found no other source stating such a massive mobilization. This is sounding more and more like speculation.
                Chimo

Comment

• The 'bloody nose' would probably want to include strikes on their fuel oil infrastructure (such as it is), their electricity grid (ditto) and of course their reactor (with some very, very precise targeting).

The big question is of course how 'fit for purpose' their heavy artillery units along the DMZ are. There's been decades now of food and fuel shortages combined with nothing that comes even close to resembling the level of live fire practice professional arty units need to stay on game. Even assuming there was no incoming counter battery fire I would NOT want to be crewing some of those systems.

Or am I way of the mark - I haven't done any OS research on the topic lately.
                  Last edited by Monash; 08 Feb 18,, 08:03.
                  If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

• Don't think those units are worried about staying in the game, When the word comes down they open the HART doors and fire on a predesignated set of data until they are either destroyed or the ammo runs out. No adjustments. Just load and shoot.

Those guns that have to move out of the shelter to a firing position, I would bet the position has emplaced limes for them to pull up to and a marker to line the tube up.

They are firing an area mission. No precision required. Its "Hit Seoul" not take out XX bridge or XX bunker

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                      At this point, all the reports I've read traces back to this one newspaper. I found no other source stating such a massive mobilization. This is sounding more and more like speculation.
                      Everything I've seen so far goes back to this paper as well. I've scoured the RFA website - there's no mention of this anywhere on there. The Chinese military has denied it. Chosun Ilbo also reported last April, citing a Japanese newspaper, that 150,000 Chinese troops had been moved to the border, which ricocheted across the internet then as this one has now. The Chinese military denied it then as well, and US military sources shot it down as well.

From what I can tell, the Chosun Ilbo has pretty much the same type of editorial slant as the Western publications repeating its stories have.
                      Last edited by Ironduke; 08 Feb 18,, 13:44.
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Clearly the need of the hour - a military parade

Litte dictator wants the troops to salute him

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a57e02d5010e

President Trump’s vision of soldiers marching and tanks rolling down the boulevards of Washington is moving closer to reality in the Pentagon and White House, where officials say they have begun to plan a grand military parade later this year showcasing the might of America’s armed forces.

Trump has long mused publicly and privately about wanting such a parade, but a Jan. 18 meeting between Trump and top generals in the Pentagon’s tank — a room reserved for top-secret discussions — marked a tipping point, according to two officials briefed on the planning.

Surrounded by the military’s highest-ranking officials, including Defense Secretary Jim Mattis and Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Joseph F. Dunford Jr., Trump’s seemingly abstract desire for a parade was suddenly heard as a presidential directive, the officials said.

“The marching orders were: I want a parade like the one in France,” said a military official who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the planning discussions are supposed to remain confidential. “This is being worked at the highest levels of the military.”
                        Yay.
                        "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Trump Tweet - Stock market makes a big mistake

Naughty naughty stock market, you have been bad! Sad!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/...53168968622086

In the “old days,” when good news was reported, the Stock Market would go up. Today, when good news is reported, the Stock Market goes down. Big mistake, and we have so much good (great) news about the economy!
                          This is so awesome. As Vanity Fair rightly says, how does Trump think he is going to punish the stock market?

Fire it? Send it back to its country of origin? Demand it produce its long-form birth certificate?
                          https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018...et-big-mistake
                          "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

• Originally posted by antimony View Post
                            Litte dictator wants the troops to salute him

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a57e02d5010e

Yay.
                            There is something very wrong telling men and women in uniform that they don't deserve a parade.
                            Chimo

Comment

• Most US service members and veterans are against this.

This is about Trump's ego, not patriotism.

If Trump deep down really wants to see what tanks, airplanes, and missiles look like, he can go to the Air & Space Museum or visit a military base.
                              Last edited by Ironduke; 08 Feb 18,, 20:33.
                              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• There are much better ways to spend money that actually helps those serving than having a parade in front of some pompous idiot President who usually has never come under fire himself.

Comment

Working...
                                X