Page 133 of 135 FirstFirst ... 124125126127128129130131132133134135 LastLast
Results 1,981 to 1,995 of 2015

Thread: 2018 American Political Scene

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    so much for all those "adults in the room" who were supposed to be the wise advisers to the MAGA-in-Chief.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    so much for all those "adults in the room" who were supposed to be the wise advisers to the MAGA-in-Chief.
    I find it difficult to credit anything said by this miserable excuse for a human being. Seriously, anything he says can be immediately assumed to be a blatant lie until thoroughly fact-checked.

And people still defend him...still normalize him.

The Jim Jones story seems less and less baffling. He only managed to enchant a few thousand people. Trump on the other hand....
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Defense Secretary Mattis To Retire In February

Defense Secretary Jim Mattis, a living Marine Corps legend who made history by securing special permission from Congress to lead the Pentagon, is stepping down after a slow freeze-out by President Trump.

The president made the announcement via Twitter Thursday evening.

"General Jim Mattis will be retiring, with distinction, at the end of February, after having served my Administration as Secretary of Defense for the past two years," Trump wrote.

"General Mattis was a great help to me in getting allies and other countries to pay their share of military obligations. A new Secretary of Defense will be named shortly. I greatly thank Jim for his service!" the president also wrote in a second tweet about the departure.

Mattis' departure completes a near-wholesale shake-up of Trump's initial national security team and follows a record-setting series of departures of administration leaders so early in a presidency.

Of Trump's initial top national security or diplomatic policy advisers, only Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, who began as CIA director, and United Nations Ambassador Nikki Haley remain — and Haley is set to depart the administration soon as well.

The dismissal followed an abrupt decision by Trump this week to withdraw American troops from Syria, over the objections of many of the president's military and national security advisers.

And it also followed the publication of a book by Bob Woodward that described Mattis as deeply frustrated with Trump, likening his understanding to that of a fifth- or sixth-grader, and being put into uncomfortable positions by the president's sometime outbursts.

At one point, Woodward describes Trump calling Mattis and ordering him to assassinate Syrian President Bashar Assad; Mattis, according to the account, agreed to "get right on that" but ultimately brought about a much more measured low-level cruise missile attack.

But on Thursday, Mattis wrote in a resignation letter that he felt he could no longer continue to execute Trump's policies.

"Because you have the right to have a secretary of defense whose views are better aligned with yours ... I believe it is right for me to step down from my position," he wrote.

Mattis' letter cited his support for America's "unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships." Trump's brusque approach to those international relationships, Mattis wrote, is one reason the defense secretary feels he must step down.

And so the last adult leaves the dumpster fire, apparently no longer able to swallow his disgust at the spoiled child sitting in the Oval Office.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

Senior Contributor
    Make that today. He gone according the Embassy here.

Senior Contributor
    Mattis as deeply frustrated with Trump, likening his understanding to that of a fifth- or sixth-grader
    That is unfair. Fifth graders would be smarter.

Senior Contributor

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    that was an elegantly written "f*ck you, i'm out" letter.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Senior Contributor
    The rumour is Mattis said something of that sort before leaving his Office.

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    The rumour is Mattis said something of that sort before leaving his Office.
    Any source for that rumor?
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

Global Moderator
    Comrade Commissar
    Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    A fifth grader in the Oval Office would be an improvement...by an order of magnitude.
    TwentyFiveFortyFive

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Serious trouble brewing down the road now...

I've seen discarded cabinets on the side of the road with less holes than this administration's.
    "Draft beer, not people."

Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    that was an elegantly written "f*ck you, i'm out" letter.
    Wasn't it just. Even more interesting given the context - a lifelong military man basically saying that his commander in chief is a threat to what he sees as the vital interests of the US. Ouch!

Watching conservative netizens commenting....or not commenting....about this is fascinating. If anyone still thought there might be a 'wake up' moment somewhere, this makes it clear that isn't happening.

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    i dunno if citanon is still around, but i wonder if he holds the same views of Trump as an amateur negotiating genius well-advised by tough-minded generals/diplomats and constrained by a patriotic Republican Party....lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Firestorm View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vIaM4BUfY1A
    “Are you smarter than a fifth grader?”
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Thread Information