This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
    At the moment, the government still has legitimacy.
    You think? I do not dispute the legal legitimacy - but remember democracy? Now two elections in a row where Turnip and his ilk got less votes - when does it lose democratic legitimacy?

Comment

• Originally posted by zraver View Post
      Not really, not when you consider that a fifth of the Dems gains come from the PA Court drawn map that was created to force GOP house members out of Congress.
      So, the crime that handed Democrats victory in Pennsylvania was un-gerrymandering the last post-census map.

Here's six sources that call you out for fake news:

“Various experts have described the Pennsylvania congressional map drawn in 2011 as a partisan gerrymander drawn to benefit Republicans. Test after test found that the map was an extreme outlier, and in all three elections held under the map, in 2012, 2014, and 2016, Republicans won the same 13 out of 18 U.S. House seats.”
      http://www2.philly.com/philly/news/p...-20180615.html

“Pennsylvania's Supreme Court has redrawn the map of the state's congressional districts, overturning a Republican gerrymander*that's been used in the past three congressional elections.”
      https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.9395d03b2908

“Pennsylvania is widely known for its gerrymandered districts—in fact, in 2016, researchers at the independent Electoral Integrity Project gave our redistricting practices an 11 out of 100—the third-worst rating in the nation.”.
      https://www.fairdistrictspa.com/the-...gerrymandering

“Pennsylvania’s gerrymandered House map was struck down — with huge implications for 2018
      It was one of the most pro-Republican gerrymanders in the country.”
      https://www.vox.com/2018/1/22/169206...r-ruling-house

“Pennsylvania’s 2011 congressional map had been labeled one of the top three starkest partisan gerrymanders in the country and the worst in Pennsylvania's history.”
      https://www.pubintlaw.org/cases-and-...cting-lawsuit/

“In Pennsylvania, the Gerrymander of the Decade?”
      https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...de_112404.html

= = = = =

How's that fiscal conservatism working out for you?
      Still got a Federal deficit 20% larger than last year, because of tax give-aways to the rich?
      Trust me?
      I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post

There isn't a House popular vote. Parties do not run candidates for every single race. The GOP won 60 votes in 2010 because they were totally blown out in 2008, but their overall seat count was 240. The Democrats will likely end up with a seat count around 230. In the future, I believe NC is required to redraw districts to have a more balanced partisan representation.
        We probably need independent redistricting, but even with that the Dems are going to be under-represented, because they are clustered, and a bit because you cannot dilute minority votes. Trying to keep the Democrats competitive in the House basically requires Gerry-mandering, or altering federal law to allow "at-large" seats (IE, the representative represents the entire state, and not just a single district).

Also, these arguments are becoming increasingly insane. People on Twitter are now complaining about the Senate popular vote, which REALLY isn't a thing, because the majority of states didn't even VOTE for a Senator on Tuesday.
        The isn't a House popular vote, but the point is that the margin of victory by percentage of vote for the Democrats matched that of the Republicans in the last election that was considered a wave i.e. 2010. If the Democrats did sort out their problems with Gerrymandering in a few key states, they probably would end up with around 240 seats with the same vote margin.

Comment

• Could someone explain (in simple terms if possible) what "voter suppression" means and how it might be - allegedly is done? I am not an expert at US election laws and stuff but apparently it could be a big deal according to my latest attempt to 'catch up'.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            How many famous women chefs d you know ? i have this impression its dominated by men
            Nigella Lawson, Sarah Todd, Ritu Dalmia, Tarla Dalal etc. I know more, and yes, that industry is dominated by men. The point I was making was not about celebrity chefs, but home cooked meals. How many moms teach their daughters how to cook nowadays? I don't even see the zeal in millennial women wanting to learn how to cook. They'd happily click food pics and post it on their instagram profiles, but would not spare a thought for the process that went in making that food. Last Friday I was at my sister's place for food and drinks. Among the many things she cooked was 'Chilly Chicken'. I told her straight up that was not 'Chilli Chicken'. I also told her how to prepare that dish, what to substitute for, to make this dish as original as possible. Don't know how to cook a dish, there's Youtube, learn. Don't expect me to eat 3rd grade food, and then come up with excuses that you never cooked. Why? Your mom didn't teach you anything apart from Alphabets? Grades are as good as getting a job, that's it. One can survive anywhere if he/she knows how to cook.

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
            It's funny how westerners used to say and still say the same thing.
            Joblessness and rise in crime.
            Just a couple of days back, a guy riding his bike hit someone on the road. The guy who was hit was injured, but not too badly. There were some unemployed, probably uneducated youths nearby, drinking. They beat the bike owner dead. You see where I was going with this? In developed countries, they have the Police on call to tackle such crimes, actually such crimes don't happen in the West, and if it happens, it's not as frequent as in India.

In India this would be an advantage. Get 50% odd off agriculture and into something else. In the west the farmers don't make up more than 2% of the population
            What is the advantage? You want farmers to move from Agriculture into what? Look at China, they import most of their food, and are buying farmlands in different countries. What is it that you're trying to say here?
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
              I understand Canada has a window of just 8 weeks from planting to harvest of wheat.

Anything that messes with that isn't going to sell or because there is time pressure is it a sellers market ?
              That's why we have green houses. It's called season extension in market gardening parlance. You have cold storages for meat/fish. You have nitrogen based vacuum warehouses for storing Apples, that one can sell 6 months later, and the fruit tastes just the same. Ofcourse it's money intensive, but technology has solved the problem with perishables.

It started the day companies valued shareholders above customers. The customer is taken for granted.

The best people can do is not buy from companies with such practices. Give it time, if enough people start to do that then companies will realise to keep their share prices up that customers have to play along.
              Consumer laws are far stronger and the compensation paid is far bigger in the west than what we have here in India. Don't like buying a product from a company, stop buying and file a complaint. No company is forcing technology down anyone's throat. Happy living in a bamboo house, good, coz' no one will be bothered when a category 4 storm hits the city.
              Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• GVChamp,

At the moment, the government still has legitimacy. This isn't even the 1960s, let alone the 1860s.
                the only reason for this is because we're not in an unpopular bloody war that requires conscription. the other pieces are all there. and we're starting from a much lower base of trust in government to begin with as compared to the 60s. that doesn't bode well.

Unfortunately, the judiciary will become increasingly politicized, and we will be in a state of gridlock unless one party controls both the Presidency and the Senate. This state of affairs continuing for a decade or so isn't the end of the world. The erosion of judicial norms isn't the end of the world either, and from my libertarian POV is better than the state of affairs of progressive judges getting ultimate papal authority to invent new constitutional rights out of nothing.
                that state of gridlock will in effect continue letting stress build up in the system until energy releases like an earthquake. if judicial norms do erode, that that stuff about "ultimate papal authority" is going to get a lot worse when court-packing comes. official court-packing, that is; what McConnell has done is in effect unofficial court-packing, and he's promising to keep on doing just that with the GOP Senate.

which is not something i look forward to from a center-left POV because the end result of THAT will ultimately be another confrontation between the federal state and the state governments.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• My thoughts go out to people in Southern California experiencing terrible fires. It is something we sadly know all too well here. Lets hope the loss of life doesn't rise any further.
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                    My thoughts go out to people in Southern California experiencing terrible fires. It is something we sadly know all too well here. Lets hope the loss of life doesn't rise any further.
                    Sadly the fire toll has been upped to 23 now in the Camp Fire. Down my way the air is thick with smoke with the advisory to stay inside due to the extremely bad air quality and particle pollution. Hasn't been a good year, October 2017-November 2018 in California. Of course once again Trump showed his total stupidity in the what and why of California fires.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/10/us/ca...ill/index.html
                    Last edited by tbm3fan; 11 Nov 18,, 05:46.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                      Could someone explain (in simple terms if possible) what "voter suppression" means and how it might be - allegedly is done? I am not an expert at US election laws and stuff but apparently it could be a big deal according to my latest attempt to 'catch up'.
                      Here's an easy example. In 2012 the Democrat, Heitkamp, won the Senate race in North Dakota. It seems that she was put over the top by a heavy Native American (Indian) vote. So the Republican legislature basically disenfranchised those voters by requiring a street address even though they get a PO Box from the government.

http://time.com/5442434/north-dakota...ican-activism/

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                        Could someone explain (in simple terms if possible) what "voter suppression" means and how it might be - allegedly is done? I am not an expert at US election laws and stuff but apparently it could be a big deal according to my latest attempt to 'catch up'.
                        Here's an easy example. In 2012 the Democrat, Heitkamp, won the Senate race in North Dakota. It seems that she was put over the top by a heavy Native American (Indian) vote. So the Republican legislature basically disenfranchised those voters by requiring a street address since they get a PO Box from the government given the few rare streets on the reservation.

http://time.com/5442434/north-dakota...ican-activism/
                        Last edited by tbm3fan; 11 Nov 18,, 05:57.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                          Sadly the fire toll has been upped to 23 now in the Camp Fire. Down my way the air is thick with smoke with the advisory to stay inside due to the extremely bad air quality and particle pollution. Hasn't been a good year, October 2017-November 2018 in California.
                          Stay safe.

Of course once again Trump showed his total stupidity in the what and why of California fires.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/10/us/ca...ill/index.html
                          Yes, and all while cowering in his hotel in France from the terror of.....a light rain shower, leaving grown up world leaders to attend a WW1 commemoration. I'm afraid the only emotion I'm capable of at this point is disgust, for him & anyone who defends him. He defiles the office & shames his nation daily.
                          sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                            Stay safe.

Yes, and all while cowering in his hotel in France from the terror of.....a light rain shower, leaving grown up world leaders to attend a WW1 commemoration. I'm afraid the only emotion I'm capable of at this point is disgust, for him & anyone who defends him. He defiles the office & shames his nation daily.
                            I agree knowing him. What I most dislike about him is that he has never been a team player and if I was in a fight I could be sure that he would turn and run.

Comment

• Originally posted by tbm3fan View Post
                              I agree knowing him. What I most dislike about him is that he has never been a team player and if I was in a fight I could be sure that he would turn and run.
                              'Turn and run' assumes he ever got close enough to feel the need.

I had a long list of policy issues with Bush & ideologically similar leaders in Australia. There were some who I thought were exceptionally poor at their job. None of them, however, were so contemptuous of the office they held. Every time I think I'm numb to it he plumbs some new depth.

If it was just him out there alone disgracing himself it would be bad enough, but to see his supporters not only refuse to condemn, but actively defend his behaviour is both nauseating and scary. There are quite literally no standards. Everything he does is OK because its him. 'Cult' is not too extreme a word. These are the same people who went into hysterics if Obama forgot a lapel pin or carried a cup of coffee off a helicopter. They kept kids home from school so Obama wouldn't brainwash them with a speech. Now it is fine to blow off a commemoration for veterans or not even bother to visit the troops in combat zones......among a long list of disgraces.

Lets hope America's institutional restrictions are enough to limit Trump's power, because it is clear that his supporters & his political party have zero interest in doing so.
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                                Quite easy actually. It's best to use a dehydrator but you can use an oven in a pinch.

I like to use the cut we call a London Broil. It is a cut known as a top round steak. Here is how I make it.

1. Get 3 to 5 pounds of beef and cut across the grain in thin strips.

2. Place in a plastic bag or air tight plastic container with marinade in a refrigerator for at least 24 hours. there are a wide range of marinades you can make. Make sure there is some acid in the marinade which will help breakdown/tenderize the meat. i like to make marinades with Worcestershire Sauce, dry mustard, onion powder, garlic powder & brown sugar or Soy sauce, Teriyaki, ginger, garlic powder, onion powder. Its really anything you want to help breakdown and flavor.

3. After 24 hours remove from bag and pat dry. Discard the marinade.

4. Place the beef strips on the dehumidifier racks making sure there is no overlap on the pieces.

5. Set the temperature on dehumidifier or oven to 180 degrees F/83 Celsius.

6. Let meat rest for at least 8 hours.

The jerky is ready when it is stiff and can be bent with some resistance.

Jerky can be place in plastic bags and kept frozen for up to 3 months.

And with that we all need to return to AMERICAN POLITICS!!!
                                Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X