Shithole Countries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
    But then, I expected nothing less from a guy that didn't want the job in the first place and is so far out of his league that I don't even have a metaphor to describe it.
    Didn't want the job or didn't expect to win ?

He clearly wants the job or he'd have resigned by now

He expected respect but got turned into a punching bag.

The first year is going to be a learning process. A year of uncertainty for those watching from abroad

Hope it gets better from here on

Comment

Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
      Right.... and what I've learned from this board is that having Reverend Jeremiah Wright as your spiritual adviser and frequent guest to the white house is a nothing burger....

If you want roasted goose, roast them all.

Roast this one. Roast the last one. Roast the next one. Roast the wanna be ones.
      When's the last time you had race riots

Comment

DE,

from most of the reporting, both. he was hoping to parlay his run into a lucrative conservative media network, and wanted the prestige of being a serious Presidential candidate.

of course now that he's on top, he wants to ride the tiger. there were a lot of liberals thinking he'd get tired of the whole business and resign, but once you put on the Ring...:-)
        There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post
          citanon,

given the GOP dominance in 2017, they have done surprisingly little, not much. under a disciplined President, they would have been easily capable of a lot more. both Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell had, and have, the ability to do far more than they are doing now, were it not for the President. a more wily President could have easily torn the Democratic Party asunder in the shock of the '16 election. -Bernie Sanders- was talking about working with Trump. that is no longer the case.

to the extent that the GOP has succeeded, it is because of the easy victories that just require a majority vote-- the judges, the tax bill. in the case of the latter, it is through techniques such as reconciliation that the GOP will have much cause to regret when the wheel turns. i guarantee you that with a future unified Dem Congress under a Dem President-- something that will come, sooner or later-- there will be little obsession over how, say, a universal healthcare bill will be paid for, nor a tag in the trillions. there will be no talk of compromise.

regarding the political winds of 2018, i'd submit that the the picture that you are describing-- major conservative policy victories, fake polls, people quietly turning pro-Trump, etc-- is not aligned with the unprecedented number of GOP retirements, particularly in the House. a major Dem wave is coming. the GOP hold on the Senate is protected only because of the ridiculously bad map for the Dems this year, but I will be surprised if the GOP does not lose over 30 seats in the House.

and with that, GOP legislative action will come to an end. if the 35% chance for Dems to take the Senate comes to fruition-- odds equivalent to Trump winning in 2016-- the effective GOP judge-stuffing will come to an end as well.

current GOP thinking about fake polls, etc bring to mind the metaphor of a smoker ridiculing his doctor for telling him that smoking will kill him. "i'm alive, aren't i?" i certainly would be happier if the GOP as a whole were fully confident about their chances in 2018, but they are not. you have no idea the type of rage Trump brings out in the Democratic Party...and as the Democratic Party found out in 2010, that is what brings people to the polls.
          Yeah, Trump was about the worst possible option that could have been picked. All the others would have had a better shot at taking the White House from the get-go, except maybe Cruz. The policy results would have been much more impressive by this point. 2018 wouldn't be looking like a total wave election and re-election in 2020 would be likely.

Instead we have this dip-shit.

Maybe we can just do away with primaries and go back to picking candidates in smoke-filled rooms.
          "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
            Like I said earlier, I think Trump is a garden-variety racist for a man of his age. It would be quite shocking to think that he has any substantial agreement with the KKK or Dixiecrats, who would be in favor of, say, segregation. That's the fever-dream of paranoid people who have watched a bit too much "Handmaid's Tale."

The other comments you are listing out are NOT blatant racist comments, they only establish a "pattern of behavior," like you said. Like, if a cop punches a black suspect, that's not "blatantly racist." If he punches every black suspect he meets, and gives all the white suspects cupcakes and coffee, that's a different story.
            This would be hilarious if we were not speaking of the President of the UK; "he might be racist but he hasn't lynched anyone that we know of, he makes some racist remarks but that does not mean he is actually really racist". When Trump has to deny that he is racist; "the least racist person" (because every self description of his comes with a superlative) you know he is a racist; just like Moscow - never believe it until they deny it.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post

He expected respect but got turned into a punching bag.

The first year is going to be a learning process. A year of uncertainty for those watching from abroad

Hope it gets better from here on
              Asty said it better than I could.

It won't get better from here. It can't get better from here.
              Not with a man like Donald Trump in the White House.

Trump can no more change who and what he is than leopard can change its spots.
              (I'm sure I've said that before, probably in the 2017 American Political Thread)

When's the last time you had race riots
              In the last 5 years ago so:

2012 Anaheim, California Riot—followed the shooting of two Hispanic males
              2014: Ferguson, MO riots – Riots following the Shooting of Michael Brown
              2015: 2015 Baltimore riots – Riots following the death of Freddie Gray
              2015: Ferguson unrest – Riots following the anniversary of the Shooting of Michael Brown
              2016: 2016 Milwaukee riots – Riots following the fatal shooting of 23 year old Sylville Smith.
              2016: Charlotte riot, September 20–21, Riots started in response to the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by police
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Asty said it better than I could.

Trump can no more change who and what he is than leopard can change its spots.
                (I'm sure I've said that before, probably in the 2017 American Political Thread)
                Three more to go

In the last 5 years ago so:

2012 Anaheim, California Riot—followed the shooting of two Hispanic males
                2014: Ferguson, MO riots – Riots following the Shooting of Michael Brown
                2015: 2015 Baltimore riots – Riots following the death of Freddie Gray
                2015: Ferguson unrest – Riots following the anniversary of the Shooting of Michael Brown
                2016: 2016 Milwaukee riots – Riots following the fatal shooting of 23 year old Sylville Smith.
                2016: Charlotte riot, September 20–21, Riots started in response to the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott by police
                Now to see whether frequency of those incidents stay the same, drops or rises in a meaningful way

Comment

Three more to go
                  Let's hope it's cut short by at least 2 years. Or more.

Now to see whether frequency of those incidents stay the same, drops or rises in a meaningful way
                  Good point. Come to think of it, there hasn't been a race riot recently. I wonder if we can get through another year without one.
                  “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

It's a testament to your Republic that the US is not in the toilet and managed a few good things (bad outweighing the good, I leave to the People of the US) under Trump. I don't know if Trump is a racist but for certain, he's a toilet hole.
                    Chimo

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                      It's a testament to your Republic that the US is not in the toilet and managed a few good things (bad outweighing the good, I leave to the People of the US) under Trump. I don't know if Trump is a racist but for certain, he's a toilet hole.
                      Thank you Sir, well said.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopHatter View Post
                        Let's hope it's cut short by at least 2 years. Or more.
                        Impression i get is not to count on it

Good point. Come to think of it, there hasn't been a race riot recently. I wonder if we can get through another year without one.
                        After two terms of black president i think its going to be pretty hard to ignite. I would look sceptically at claims that since Trump came to office that race attacks are on the rise. No matter how much white supremacists dearly wish it or ilberals scream about it

He can go on about wanting blue eyed Norwegians, problem is those people don't reproduce fast enough to want to go to the US
                        Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Jan 18,, 22:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
                          If someone like Trump can get into office then it tells me the system is open, fair and working as designed. Within, the american context, the day a Trump cannot enter office or is ousted means a backslide even if half the country (more?) wants exactly that

It's the system i look at, people come and go, there's going to be good apples and not so good. That's the way it goes
                          Last edited by Double Edge; 16 Jan 18,, 22:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            If someone like Trump can get into office then it tells me the system is open, fair and working as designed. Within, the american context, the day a Trump cannot enter office or is ousted means a backslide even if half the country (more?) wants exactly that

It's the system i look at, people come and go, there's going to be good apples and not so good. That's the way it goes
                            Agreed.

Also, Trump is admittedly awful in some ways but I'm curious to ask what people more people think he could have done for the US economy.

Deregulation was huge for the business environment and unleashing of animal spirits in 2017 and tax reform is going to be huge this year.

Trade and NK are significant risks going forward this year, but the supposed Trump downsides in 2017 melted into abstract intangibles while the gains were huge and real.

Comment

• Here's what voters think according to politico:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...rt-card-340624

Looking at the report card, and thinking about its relevance to GOP midterm congressional candidates, the economics and jobs issues look favorable and should be important to moderate voters.

Among issues that are unfavorable, the key headwinds are immigration and the effect of Trump's, shall we say, shithole discount, reflected in the topline number, on the balance of voter turnout.

Comment

• Originally posted by bfng3569 View Post
                                Right.... and what I've learned from this board is that having Reverend Jeremiah Wright as your spiritual adviser and frequent guest to the white house is a nothing burger....

If you want roasted goose, roast them all.

Roast this one. Roast the last one. Roast the next one. Roast the wanna be ones.
                                No, it is not permissible to roast the chosen avatar of The Left. Attempting to break this taboo will get you labeled homophobe, racist, xenophobe, cisgendered, privileged, natavist, nationalist, fascist.... It does not matter what the chosen avatar has done, they could run the biggest pay for play scheme in history, corrupt the levers of power to the point the most powerful intelligence gathering tools humanity has ever seen are directed at political foes... Nothing may be challenged not even by others who want to be the Chose One.

Roasting is reserved for the upsurper from the right. They of course can do no right, have no principles, standards or ethics but are merely a construct to be maligned for daring to stand in the way of The Left, who has a right to rule.

Comment

Working...
                                X