US recognition of Jerusalem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US recognition of Jerusalem

The Israelis are happy, now what is Trump going to offer the other side ?

Very misjudged move in my view.

Comment

Didn't help the domestic vote either.....I'm sure Twitter will come to life with more idiocy shortly

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
        Didn't help the domestic vote either.....I'm sure Twitter will come to life with more idiocy shortly
        Its actually going over quite well with his base.

Comment

And now there's a big push on to have all the other major western powers recognize East Jerusalem as the capital if 'Palestine'. I wonder how that will go down in certain quarters if it succeeds. It would certainly be a way to 'stick it' to Trumps unilateral decision. Lots of feathers on the air over this one.
          Last edited by Monash; 14 Dec 17,, 08:12.
          If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
            Its actually going over quite well with his base.
            If it was meant to help the domestic vote.....Alabama wasn't impressed

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
              If it was meant to help the domestic vote.....Alabama wasn't impressed
              Hard to draw too many conclusions given that many were turned off by the candidates alleged behavior. I think that the election was as close as it was speaks volumes. Roughly 47% of Alabama voters would rather have a guy who allegedly as a DA sought out high schoolers to date than his Democrat opponent. I am pretty right wing and even if I was an Alabama voter I probably would have done a write in although given Jone's positions on certain issues I may have held my nose and voted for the creep. Point is I highly doubt Trump's decision on American recognition of Israel's capital mattered at all in that election.

Originally posted by Monash View Post
              And now there's a big push on to have all the other major western powers recognize East Jerusalem as the capital if 'Palestine'. I wonder how that will go down in certain quarters if it succeeds. It would certainly be a way to 'stick it' to Trumps unilateral decision. Lots of feathers on the air over this one.
              Hey if they can get their stuff together, more power to them. Let them name any place under their control as their Capital. My thoughts are let Israel decide where their capital is and let Palestine do the same. As long as they control that area I don't think it is our business to tell them where they can or cannot have their capitals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo View Post
                Hard to draw too many conclusions given that many were turned off by the candidates alleged behavior. I think that the election was as close as it was speaks volumes. Roughly 47% of Alabama voters would rather have a guy who allegedly as a DA sought out high schoolers to date than his Democrat opponent. I am pretty right wing and even if I was an Alabama voter I probably would have done a write in although given Jone's positions on certain issues I may have held my nose and voted for the creep. Point is I highly doubt Trump's decision on American recognition of Israel's capital mattered at all in that election.
                Just trying to make sense where there isn't any I guess....Internationally I haven't heard one country agree with the move except for Netanyahoo's Israel. So is it meant to help him domestically?? Hard to know when there is a total lack of depth

Hey if they can get their stuff together, more power to them. Let them name any place under their control as their Capital.
                Like Washington?

My thoughts are .......................let Palestine do the same.
                Like East Jerusalem?

As long as they control that area I don't think it is our business to tell them where they can or cannot have their capitals
                By acknowledging it you've just shown bias and abandoned any post as mediator. Abbass will now look elsewhere, well done great move.
                Last edited by Toby; 17 Dec 17,, 17:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Monash View Post
                  That would be upping the ante.

Trump said jeurasalem, not undivided or east or west. He hasn't taken a position there on purpose. This lack of clarity pointed out by the Israeli right prevents it from being as big a deal as is portrayed.

If Abbas had taken the same position he would have denied Bibi a domestic coup and himself a loss. Why make it appear more than it actually is

Several advisors have warned US presidents against such a move saying the entire Arab world will turn against the US. Guess that advice was past its sell by date

Other than some protests and rhetoric not a single arab country changed or will change its relations with the US

Trump bet right, he's also betting the Pals will come back to the table, eventually
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 17 Dec 17,, 19:11.

Comment

'India's made a huge mistake in voting against US on Jerusalem,' says BJP's Subramanian Swamy

I'm wondering, what's the rationale behing this kind of backstabbing?

Is it to be seen with the good guys who support human rights etc on this issue, knowing very well US will veto any moves over this in the UNSC. What will Doval say to Tillerson when they meet next?

As far as policy goes, should India not have at the very least abstained from voting since Palestine has never supported India on Kashmir, but Israel has. We have inherited a spineless government from the previous UPA regime. That's what it seems right now.
                    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I'd like to see the reasoning for India to vote against vs abstain. Should become more apparent in the following days. It's more for domestic reasons i bet. To abstain is to be ambivalent

See those voting for.

US & Israel and a bunch of countries that have absolutely no connection with the region. Sususwamy thinks India should vote in here? That would be bold. He wonders but doesn't ask how Hindu right govt can support muslims. lol

Just how critical would India's vote be here. Not very. So Modi's trip to Israel, the first by any Indian PM does not get invalidated. Bibi won't cancel his trip to India next month. Relations between Israel & India remain unchanged. Pretty sure both sides were in the loop

The Israeli right doesn't think this is a big deal meaning the US endorsement is ambiguous. Goes a little further than previous administrations but still doesn't take sides. That is the point to go further because the present situation is a deadlock.

But its snowballed since. This will die down in time.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 22 Dec 17,, 20:45.

Comment

Geo-politics aside, what are the gains? A large muslim population that follows a herd-mentality and would anyway vote for the congress?

This has some answers - View: India supports Palestine with key interests in mind
                        Last edited by Oracle; 23 Dec 17,, 02:13.
                        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

NRI's also count for domestic reasons

Indian interests in the Persian Gulf region are paramount. That is from where we get 70 per cent of our oil, and where 7 million of our citizens labour and send back remittances of around $35 billion per annum, three times more than the rich NRIs send from the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            NRI's also count for domestic reasons
                            When domestic reasons shape foreign policy, then there is something amiss. Btw, what are those domestic reasons?

Comment

NRI's would be one

This then turns over oil & gas, gulf and Iran. And the delicate balancing act we have with Iran vs the gulf and Israel. What makes this argument weaker these days is we're top five customers for energy in the region.

Domestic reasons have a bearing on foreign policy. Simple example is can't send troops abroad because there is lots of push back when body bags come home. Happens in many countries. Saudis in Yemen and Iran using Hazaras in Syria. Japan is the best example of refusing whole sale. No way to continue a war if US congress won't support it.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 23 Dec 17,, 22:45.

Comment

Working...
                              X