• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    NRI's would be one
    Would be one for what?

This then turns over oil & gas, gulf and Iran. And the delicate balancing act we have with Iran vs the gulf and Israel. What makes this argument weaker these days is we're top five customers for energy in the region.
    This I understand.

Domestic reasons have a bearing on foreign policy. Simple example is can't send troops abroad because there is lots of push back when body bags come home. Happens in many countries. Saudis in Yemen and Iran using Hazaras in Syria. Japan is the best example of refusing whole sale. No way to continue a war if US congress won't support it.
    How is this connected with the vote against US? AFAIK, India is the only country to have voted against the US most of the time, with the exception of maybe Cuba.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      Would be one for what?
      Domestic reasons. Those people work there and would like to stay there. This is a vote in favour of 'arab solidarity'

NRI's (Not required Indians) are Indians too : )

How is this connected with the vote against US? AFAIK, India is the only country to have voted against the US most of the time, with the exception of maybe Cuba.
      Am going on what someone told me. What domestic reasons wasn't specified. Have to figure it out like with most things we discuss here

UK's voted against the US too, that's a bigger problem for both of them

The usual three reasons are

- principled position in line with the intl community that has been the case for long
      - diaspora
      - domestic sensitivities

This govt didn't want to change from the past and keeps both pals & israel

Given how this vote went down, we're not looking too bad

There will be more chances to support Israel in the future. Israel gets bashed at the UNGA on a regular basis : )
      Last edited by Double Edge; 24 Dec 17,, 14:08.

Comment

Domestic reasons. Those people work there and would like to stay there. This is a vote in favour of 'arab solidarity'

NRI's (Not required Indians) are Indians too : )
        Right. Jobs and oil. It's definitely a foreign policy prerogative, irrespective of what KTaneja says.

Am going on what someone told me. What domestic reasons wasn't specified. Have to figure it out like with most things we discuss here

UK's voted against the US too, that's a bigger problem for both of them

The usual three reasons are

- principled position in line with the intl community that has been the case for long
        - diaspora
        - domestic sensitivities

This govt didn't want to change from the past and keeps both pals & israel

Given how this vote went down, we're not looking too bad

There will be more chances to support Israel in the future. Israel gets bashed at the UNGA on a regular basis : )
        Had there been someone suave in the White House who had the balls to take this decision, would the voting pattern remained the same? It seems majority of US allies want Trump to understand foreign policy the hard way, and I'm not talking about inconsequential countries like Egypt or Pakistan.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Had there been someone suave in the White House who had the balls to take this decision, would the voting pattern remained the same?
          Yes, it needed some one to bite the bullet on a topic that already had bipartisan support as far back as 1995. Some one to be politically incorrect.

It seems majority of US allies want Trump to understand foreign policy the hard way, and I'm not talking about inconsequential countries like Egypt or Pakistan.
          Trump is giving them the finger. Everybody wants to tell him what to say, what to think and what to do. Can't do this or that bla bla.

He is saying to the world what he practices at home. He is no politician

This vote doesn't have an impact on the ground, its more to assuage wounded Arab pride and i think it goes some way in achieving that

He hasn't said undivided jeurasalem but everybody wants to ignore that. he's said he would support the solution both sides were happy with

The Israelis don't want a two state solution. Israel is too small to be partitioned and a partition alone offers no future guarantee of peace. This is something else that cannot be said but its what most Israelis think

Given our own sordid experience with partition who can blame them.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 26 Dec 17,, 21:53.

Comment

Yes, it needed some one to bite the bullet on a topic that already had bipartisan support as far back as 1995. Some one to be politically incorrect.
            Conflicts around the world that we are witnessing today is because of UK's actions post WWII. Be it in the middle-east or in South Asia. That is one country that while receding its global stature, has done immense damage to the polity of international relations. Trump is trying to change that, and that has few takers and even less admirers.

Trump is giving them the finger. Everybody wants to tell him what to say, what to think and what to do. Can't do this or that bla bla.

He is saying to the world what he practices at home. He is no politician

This vote doesn't have an impact on the ground, its more to assuage wounded Arab pride and i think it goes some way in achieving that

He hasn't said undivided jeurasalem but everybody wants to ignore that. he's said he would support the solution both sides were happy with

The Israelis don't want a two state solution. Israel is too small to be partitioned and a partition alone offers no future guarantee of peace. This is something else that cannot be said but its what most Israelis think

Given our own sordid experience with partition who can blame them.
            I support the Israeli position. There is only 1 Jewish country and numerous Muslim states.

Partition was good, but it was not because the Muslims did not want to stay in a Hindu dominated country. It's true though that Jinnah and the abduls fell for that. That is what the Congress and Left would want us to believe. Here too the UK played a role.

Comment

Here too the UK played a role.
              Yes it allowed Bigotry to prevail, Politicians like to play god! So we gave British India partition caused a blood bath and then gave half of India/Pakistan a British passport so that we could have a Friday night curry after getting pissed at the pub.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
                Yes it allowed Bigotry to prevail, Politicians like to play god! So we gave British India partition caused a blood bath and then gave half of India/Pakistan a British passport so that we could have a Friday night curry after getting pissed at the pub.
                Your attitude reveals Churchill has turned inside his grave. For Churchill said - why Gandhi hadn't died yet, in response to a telegram from New Delhi about people perishing in the famine of 1943. Read some history before you argue next. And the handful of visas that Britain gave, in no way does that compensate for the 100s of billions of dollars looted from India by your leaders, who ACTUALLY came to trade.

Books: Churchill's Shameful Role in the Bengal Famine - TIME

Why did independent India and Pakistan retain British generals?

And this is what I had in mind - 'Britain created Pakistan'
                Last edited by Oracle; 27 Dec 17,, 18:13.

Comment

Trump is trying to change that, and that has few takers and even less admirers.
                  We decided to stick to our default position because a year old Trump isn't long enough to take a gamble.

We played it safe in other words. Probably the shortest reason to explain our position

I support the Israeli position. There is only 1 Jewish country and numerous Muslim states.

Partition was good, but it was not because the Muslims did not want to stay in a Hindu dominated country. It's true though that Jinnah and the abduls fell for that. That is what the Congress and Left would want us to believe. Here too the UK played a role.
                  Brits wanted a military outpost to use in the upcoming cold war. Same with the gulf states, all artificial to serve just one purpose. One says no, there is another and so on. Just see how useful those states have been over time.

We shouldn't have allowed partition. The idea of a state for muslims is a total farce. Am pretty sure Nehru and Gandhi tried their best. Maybe more force was required. Jinnah and his lot got to lord over a newly minted kingdom

If you watched one of those debates you posted with Mehdi, Ram Madhav said there could be a day some time in the future where we reunite and his example was East & West Germany. Interesting idea. Why not.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 27 Dec 17,, 18:34.

Comment

Your attitude reveals Churchill has turned inside his grave. For Churchill said - why Gandhi hadn't died yet, in response to a telegram from New Delhi about people perishing in the famine of 1943. Read some history before you argue next. And the handful of visas that Britain gave, in no way does that compensate for the 100s of billions of dollars looted from India by your leaders, who ACTUALLY came to trade.

Books: Churchill's Shameful Role in the Bengal Famine - TIME

Why did independent India and Pakistan retain British generals?

And this is what I had in mind - 'Britain created Pakistan'
                    There is no attitude as you put it in anything I said, just a bit of humour which went over your head. Maybe you should read what I said not what you think I said.

This might be helpful

followed by this

As for Churchill, wasn't it him that ordered poison gas to be dropped on the Peshmerga in the 20's??...I'm not a big fan of a lot of his actions. Good wartime leader... period!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby View Post
                      There is no attitude as you put it in anything I said, just a bit of humour which went over your head. Maybe you should read what I said not what you think I said.

This might be helpful

followed by this

As for Churchill, wasn't it him that ordered poison gas to be dropped on the Peshmerga in the 20's??...I'm not a big fan of a lot of his actions. Good wartime leader... period!
                      Nothing went over my head. I ignored your racist jibe. You're not fooling anyone here with your pitiful and sick innuendos. So either back up your racist crap or shut up.

Comment

We decided to stick to our default position because a year old Trump isn't long enough to take a gamble.

We played it safe in other words. Probably the shortest reason to explain our position
                        Aren't we doing that for decades? What's special this time?

Brits wanted a military outpost to use in the upcoming cold war. Same with the gulf states, all artificial to serve just one purpose. One says no, there is another and so on. Just see how useful those states have been over time.
                        Yes. Directed a gentleman with a link that says so.

We shouldn't have allowed partition. The idea of a state for muslims is a total farce. Am pretty sure Nehru and Gandhi tried their best. Maybe more force was required. Jinnah and his lot got to lord over a newly minted kingdom

If you watched one of those debates you posted with Mehdi, Ram Madhav said there could be a day some time in the future where we reunite and his example was East & West Germany. Interesting idea. Why not.
                        In 1947, I would have shared your opinion.

Comment

Nothing went over my head. I ignored your racist jibe.
                          Nothing I said was racist. I gave an opinion and I rounded off with a joke at my own expense.

You're not fooling anyone here with your pitiful and sick innuendos.
                          You put an s at the end of innuendo, thats plural.....please explain

So either back up your racist crap or shut up
                          I don't take orders from drama queens

Comment

Aren't we doing that for decades? What's special this time?
                            Nothing

Yes. Directed a gentleman with a link that says so.
                            https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shadow-Grea.../dp/8172238746

In 1947, I would have shared your opinion.
                            Can't say you're secular and also support partition which is its antithesis

There is no time dimension

Comment

100s of billions of dollars looted from India by your leaders
                              Which didn't benefit the vast majority of British people at all. In actual fact the working class have only truly benefited from the state since India gained independence. With the construction of the NHS etc.....Which I might add saved my life 3 years ago when I underwent heart surgery. A procedure carried out by an Indian Surgeon(Dr Sastri) to whom I have nothing but thanks!

Comment

The next part is can't have one state and call it a jewish state.

Has to be secular and the Israeli right has to come to terms with that

The Americans don't define their state as Christian, the Nepalis don't call it Hindu

Synagogue and state have to be separate
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 28 Dec 17,, 12:56.

Comment

Working...
                                X