• Show
Clear All

• America’s Cup 2021

Is to feature foiling mono-hulls.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rx2qG_YMrDs

Originally posted by surfgun View Post
    Is to feature foiling mono-hulls.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rx2qG_YMrDs
    I dont think you would be able to get toclose to one another in those pre start duelling to get the advantage with those foils sticking out.

Comment

Wish they'd do a J Class series. Get back to classic yachts and not these ultra high tech uglies.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
        Wish they'd do a J Class series. Get back to classic yachts and not these ultra high tech uglies.
        Traditional mono hull Americas Cup racing for many, is as boring as watching grass grow.TV viewship will dwindle away to unsustainable numbersfor any TV station to consider broadcasting.

Comment

20 20 Cricket sells better than Test Cricket but still Test Cricket is the purer form. You do not cross oceans on hydrofoiling multihulls like the AC50.

Comment

Originally posted by snapper View Post
            20 20 Cricket sells better than Test Cricket but still Test Cricket is the purer form. You do not cross oceans on hydrofoiling multihulls like the AC50.
            The Americas cup is about match racing in the greater harbour. Those monohulls used in America's cup in modern era (post Lipton/Bic) are not capable of oceaning racing in the first place.
            I vaguely remember the Australian boat sinking in the inner harbour .during one of the challenger series for the Americas cup.
            A boat that has to sail across the Atlantic to challenge for the cup was a rule the NY club invented to give themselves anadvantage. (cheating in otherwords)

Since San Francisco a decade ago the host, country is required to stump hundres of millions for infrastructure and pay the cup holder syndicate tens of millions more for hosting rights.
            I believe many tax payers in Auckland NZ are objecting to having to stump up the $150million+ for infrastructure and hosting rights bellieved to be up to $80million US. so that rich boys can go and play with their expensive toysand racing monohulls in the outer harbour where only a few people who own boats or pay to go on special commercial boats can view the proceedings is adding insult to injury.

Comment

This kind of boat is exactly why I do not watch the Americas cup anymore, it has almost no relevance to the kind of boats and sailing done by the vast majority of sailors.
              Yes I know it is the pinnacle of the sport, a bit like formula one, but to be honest this is getting a bit boring like F1.......

Comment

Absolutely agree. I started cross channel sailing as a kid, done Biscay and most of the North West coast of Europe in my teens and some local racing, then did some Mediterranean sailing, Greek Islands and Cyrpus, crossed the Med once, last time crossed the Adriatic. Would have loved to have crossed the Atlantic but never had time and that seems less likely now. This type of sailing is nothing whatsoever to do with the average sailors experience; a round the world race I can understand and get interested in but these hydrofoil yachts crewed by gymnasts and athletes with a perfect breeze are not what sailing is about. The point of sailing is the unexpected challenge - the tide turns on you and you're stuck outside Dover for six hrs dodging ferries (happened to me once), a deep fog descends on you but you can hear something chugging out there... a violent squall blows up and you have to stay up all night changing sails, you get rolled 360 degrees with only a storm jib rigged. Yea occasionally you have perfect day and evening, porpoises for company and a beautiful evening smelling good food coming with a glass of wine in your paw but what is far more interesting are the times when you have to face unexpected problems which you have to overcome. Absolutely no interest in watching highly payed athletes playing "I know how sail" in F1 yachts in perfect conditions.

I also do not like this type of yacht from an aesthetic point of view. Call me old fashioned but some yachts are pretty - the classic yachts are sometimes almost works of art in themselves just from the lines. Nor am I very keen on fiberglass; give me a good wooden ketch or schooner that I can take across oceans or seas and I am happy.

Comment

Working...
                X