Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quad 40mm Mount Returns to it's home - USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad 40mm Mount Returns to it's home - USS NEW JERSEY (BB-62)

Here is a U-Tube video clip of the 40mm quad mount being returned to it's rightful place - it was removed from NEW JERSEY in 1967 and was the only one of the remaining 40mm quad mounts to have been saved when the ship was reactivated at Philadelphia Naval Shipyard for service during the Vietnam War. It has resided at PNS ever since and was recently barged across the river and placed back on board NEW JERSEY.

link - https://youtu.be/0X7UOrgQ0jc

Hank

Almost looks like it could still shoot. Very nice job.

Comment

Yea, I guess the only thing is that it kind of looks out of place since the tubs have long since been removed and those yellow steps don't add to the overall appearance.

There is also an ongoing teak deck replacement program (Dollars for Decking) and here is a shot of the Stbd. 01 level that was taken recently:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	BB62 01 Level Teak Decking_1 - Resized.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	1471798

Comment

That's a beautiful job on that decking. I'm a woodworker and no furniture builder could have done it better. I'm glad to see so many people an resources devoted to maintaining these important pieces of history! Thanks for the great work.

Comment

Mr. "the bard" -

Yes, I quite agree!!! If you had seen/walked the ship in 2001, you would be thrilled with what's been accomplished to date. The existing deck was in sad shape and this is such a welcomed improvement - they are still in need of donations as this is an on-going project. You can visit the NEW JERSEY Museum website for info. The photo I posted shows the deck prior to being caulked and the pegs sanded flush. In spite of this, it is LOOKING GREAT!!!

Hank
          Last edited by bbvet; 20 Nov 17,, 19:27. Reason: further info

Comment

Working...
          X