Great democracies should also have the world’s greatest militaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great democracies should also have the world’s greatest militaries

WASHINGTON: "Two of the world's great democracies should also have the world's greatest militaries,'' the United States and India resolved today in an unprecedented and eye-catching commitment, following a bilateral meeting between President Trump and Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the sidelines of the ASEAN summit in Philippines .

Supporting India's rise as a global power has been a US objective going back to the last two (Democratic and Republican) administrations. But never before has the goal been stated in such starkly militaristic terms.

In as much as Trump has been an enthusiastic salesman for US military hardware to allies and friends, the continued reference by his administration to the ''Indo-Pacific'' region, including at the ASEAN summit, suggests Washington is firmly set on helping expand India's military capabilities vis-a-vis China for geo-strategic reasons, while helping its large military-industrial complex to Indian lolly.

A White House read-out on the Trump-Modi meeting said ''the two leaders discussed the comprehensive strategic partnership between the United States and India and their shared commitment to a free and open Indo-Pacific region. They pledged to enhance their cooperation as Major Defense Partners, resolving that two of the world's great democracies should also have the world's greatest militaries.''

The read-out would not have come without an Indian nod, suggesting that New Delhi is on the same page as Washington, particularly after it has also been shepherded into the American idea of a US-Japan-India-Australia ''Quad.''

The US statement said President Trump also expressed appreciation that Indian purchases of oil from the United States have surpassed 10 million barrels in recent months, and expressed confidence that stronger energy cooperation will be a geopolitical and economic game changer for both countries.

India recently began purchasing oil from the US - half a world away - expanding its traditional sourcing from the Gulf region, a move that not only keeps Washington and its lawmakers happy, but also dilutes India's dependency on a region whose stability and reliability is always suspect.

While the brief read-out was businesslike - aside from the reference to the need for great democracies to have the greatest militaries - there was no word on any bilateral visits.

Without mentioning Ivanka Trump, the statement said Prime Minister Modi noted that he looks forward to hosting the US delegation to the upcoming Global Entrepreneurship Summit (GES), showcasing innovation and collaboration between India and the United States.

The President's daughter Ivanka will be the star attraction at the GES in Hyderabad later this month. That visit is expected to set the stage for a Trump visit early next year.
    Source
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

So what does India has to bring in to the table?
    sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Originally posted by Deltacamelately View Post
      So what does India has to bring in to the table?
      Safe harbours and replenishment/repair depots.
      Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
        Sir, I don't think this is the only reason why India and US are in a tight bromance.
        Btw, what about your horses? I can take good care of them.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

I would have thought Diego Garcia was adequate in terms of the US Navy?

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
            Sir, I don't think this is the only reason why India and US are in a tight bromance.
            Pakistan has closer relationships.

Btw, what about your horses? I can take good care of them.
            I sold them when I can no longer take care of them.

Originally posted by Toby View Post
            I would have thought Diego Garcia was adequate in terms of the US Navy?
            It is but it's faster and better with available safe Indian ports than without them. The USN doesn't need Indian ports but Diego Garcia doesn't have fresh fruits and vegetables.
            Chimo

Comment

It is but it's faster and better with available safe Indian ports than without them. The USN doesn't need Indian ports but Diego Garcia doesn't have fresh fruits and vegetables.
              I guess DG is a guaranteed base away from prying eyes. whereas any Indian base used for resupply is logistically speaking more for convenience but not without risk.

Comment

Supporting India's rise as a global power has been a US objective going back to the last two (Democratic and Republican) administrations. But never before has the goal been stated in such starkly militaristic terms.
                What? Says who?

Comment

The country engaged in a proxy war with India is officially an American ally. That situation isn't changing anytime soon. So what bromance? Aside from platitudes and press statements like this one.

Comment

I guess DG is a guaranteed base away from prying eyes. whereas any Indian base used for resupply is logistically speaking more for convenience but not without risk.
                    With 10s of military satellites in space, how is DG safe from prying eyes?

Anyone trying to tresspass into an Indian Army/AF/Naval base gets shot, such is the threat perception here because of Pak based terrorists. There is no risk to the USN or its personnel.

Originally posted by Firestorm View Post
                    The country engaged in a proxy war with India is officially an American ally. That situation isn't changing anytime soon. So what bromance? Aside from platitudes and press statements like this one.
                    No arguments. I feel disappointed because of American dallying. Things will get better, I hope.

Pakistan has closer relationships.

I sold them when I can no longer take care of them.
                    I'm patiently waiting for the nature of that engagement to change.
                    Last edited by Oracle; 15 Nov 17,, 11:49.

Comment

Sir,
                      Prima facie I would like it to be so. But looking couple of years into the future, it looks like there's more than meets the eyes. The USN has been operating in the IOR for the past many decades without needing and of the IN bases, perfectly and in more challenging times.
                      sigpicAnd on the sixth day, God created the Field Artillery...

Comment

Sir,
                        Prima facie I would like it to be so. But looking couple of years into the future, it looks like there's more than meets the eyes. The USN has been operating in the IOR for the past many decades without needing and of the IN bases, perfectly and in more challenging times.
                        Yeah. So why all this logistics agreement and collaboration in building up the IA, IAF, and all these annual exercises. Are Pak nukes on the radar if the PA continues to keep their country destabilised and doesn't get rid of its state policy of terrorism?

Comment

Sir,
                          Colonel,

You asked what India could bring to the table. Logistics is one area where India could shine supreme, even above Deigo Garcia and one area where the Americans would be comfortable enough to task to India without compromising National Security Assets.

There is no way Deigo Garcia could dominate in fresh fruits and vegetables over India. You must have experienced times during deployment where it's a toss up which you want more, a shot of scotch or a water melon.
                          Chimo

Comment

With 10s of military satellites in space, how is DG safe from prying eyes?
                            Even when the skies are clear, Satellites can't see everything. Saddam proved that amongst others!!

Comment

Even when the skies are clear, Satellites can't see everything. Saddam proved that amongst others!!
                              This is in the 70s - 1970s spy satellite 'better than Google Earth'

2014 - Now In Orbit: A Satellite That Can See Through Smoke

As of 2012 - Risat 1

As of 2017 - Military using 13 satellites to keep eye on foes

Comment

Working...
                              X