RIP Dick Landgraff (RustyBattleship)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Dick Landgraff (RustyBattleship)

I didn't see anything posted here other than a quick reference to Mr. Landgraff's passing in the "Ask An Expert" thread

I never knew Dick, but I was always so impressed by his wealth of knowledge and good humor. His book is sitting on my shelf right now. The love for his craft and the passion he dedicated to it was inspiring. The fact that nobody's like us could ask questions and have someone of his caliber and experience take the time to answer them was such a privilege.

I guess the Iowas really aren't coming back now :-(

Best wishes to Dick's family, and may he rest in peace after a long, productive, fruitful life marked by decades of service to this country.

http://www.luybendilday.com/obitlink?obit_id=2026835
    Last edited by ArmorPiercing88; 02 Nov 17,, 18:16.

Jeez, that's upsetting. Rusty was the person who inspired me to complete my model Missouri in the level of craftsmanship that I used. He was also instrumental in hooking me up with the curator at the USS Missouri Museum to see about displaying the model. It never came to pass since I was unable to figure a way to get it there. His phenomenal depth of knowledge of all things Iowa class was legendary. He will be sorely missed.

Comment

So sorry to heart that. He came across as a true patriot and I agree with ArmorPiercing88 that it really was quite a privilege to have my amateurish questions fielded, seriously by someone who'd spent a lifetime acquiring his expertise. I immensely enjoyed reading his words and will greatly miss his posts. My best wishes to his family and those near to him.

Comment

Just saw something on another thread and hated to see this. Damn he seemed like a great guy and a wealth of information. Sad to see but at least he's with his wife. RIP sir, you will be missed.
        RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

Very sad news indeed.

My most sincere condolences to his family.

Fair winds and following seas, Sir !

Comment

Hello Everyone

I have been a long time lurker here on the board and never felt the need to register or post. I just loved to read all the posts from people with far more knowlage about the topics then I have. I most especially enjoyed Mr Landgraff’s posts and writings and was deeply saddened to hear he had passed last fall.

Tonight I was watching some YouTube videos and came across one featuring Mr Landgraff! I am not sure if many or even any of your regulars are aware of it so I registered just to let you all know where to find it.

https://youtu.be/dCZEZ9Cft1s

It’s was produced by USA Today during the Iowa’s move to its current location.

“Rusty”is featured right at the start.

Thank to all you for the many years of great questions and ansewers.

Ken

Comment

Thanks Ken!
              “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Mr. L's recital....

Ken thank you for sharing the link featuring "Rusty".
                The last package I received from him contained some drawings he's saved from LBNSY.
                Your link adds character to the letters exchanged and provides some great memories, too.
                It was by chance that Rusty encouraged the start of the Fletcher-DD thread on WAB after expressing an interest in USN history. There is even a copy of his "Yellow Book" on the shelf in my man cave, I regret not having it autographed.

Comment

Bittersweet to be sure.

Ken, welcome to the WAB.

Could you please go to http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...62#post1007162 and tell us a bit about yourself?

And when you are done there please feel free to check out this post. It's from a long time member and it will help you to have a long and fruitful stay here on the WAB!

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580

Also, what part of Boston are you from?
                  “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                  Mark Twain

Comment

Thank you, Ken!

I've just gotta say that is one awesome first post!

Comment

For anyone interested in Dick's book, it's available for purchase here:

A History of the Long Beach Naval Shipyard, Roosevelt Base & Reeves Field N.A.S.
                      https://www.amazon.com/History-Beach.../dp/1448648521

I don't know how many copies are left available, or what the publisher arrangements are, it could be that copies are printed on demand when orders are placed, or it could be that there are only a limited number remaining in stock, and arrangements would have to be made for a re-print in the future.

Dick was a pillar of the community, and his knowledge and insights are sorely missed.
                      Last edited by Ironduke; 10 May 18,, 20:35.
                      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

I watched the removal of the Iowa that day from Suisun from a vantage point by the bridge she was to pass under. Dick was on the bridge with Bob Riha Jr. to watch and film as she passed under. Jeff (Hornet Security) and I went down to get near the pier to watch the docking. Couldn't go in so we stood by a fence and watched. A fellow, next to us in a cowboy hat, we learned is the fellow who paid the big bucks to make the tow. While there the port director (yellow vest) comes from the port and asks if we would like to go down onto the pier. Well, hell yes and we end up down there to watch the tugs bring her in. The next day she was to leave for Richmond and I met Dick at his hotel in the early morning to give him and Bob a ride down to the pier. Camera equipment if the trunk of my big 1967 Mercury Park Lane.
                        Attached Files

Comment

A shot of the Iowa passing under three bridges. Two auto and one train. Dick was on the bridge to the far right. Second picture of our view from the fence as compared to being on the pier. Third, nothing like being right next to the ship.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Awesome photos, Turkey and thanks for including the photo of dick in plaid shirt, vest and white hard hat.

Like all of us I learned a ton from that man. And one of the things I loved the most about him was how he'd grumble at me when I would post obscute Civil War era vessels in the Naval Quiz section. I could almost imagine him going "Sumbitch!" into his beard at me!

I miss him and the good Captain...along with Wiskie and a few others.
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Excellent to see the video with Dick speaking. I communicated with him frequently through this forum, but it was nice to see him. Wish he were still here. As usual, after the video that I intended to watch was through, I ended up watching two more hours about operating capital ship power plants and aircraft carrier stuff. That's why I'm glad I'm retired so I don't have to feel guilty about being absorbed in Internet diversions without worrying about the boss watching.

Comment

Working...
                              X