Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 deadly sins of AI prediction

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...i-predictions/

Mistaken extrapolations, limited imagination, and other common mistakes that distract us from thinking more productively about the future....

Interesting article, thanks for sharing. I've read Rodney Brook's book iRobot- it's quite good and worth a read if you're interested in AI/robotics.

Comment

From the article:
      Mistaken extrapolations, limited imagination, and other common mistakes that distract us from thinking more productively about the future.
      The claims are ludicrous. (I try to maintain professional language, but sometimes …) For instance, the story appears to say that we will go from one million grounds and maintenance workers in the U.S. to only 50,000 in 10 to 20 years, because robots will take over those jobs. How many robots are currently operational in those jobs? Zero. How many realistic demonstrations have there been of robots working in this arena? Zero. Similar stories apply to all the other categories where it is suggested that we will see the end of more than 90 percent of jobs that currently require physical presence at some particular site.
      Reminds me of old-timey future predictions such as this... extrapolating and making predictions based on the invention of the flying machine.

1905: the future will be flying machines everywhere...
      2018: the future will be AI robots everywhere...

Last edited by Ironduke; 14 Jun 18,, 17:43.
      "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

We're presently in the roller ball era

Click image for larger version

Name:	future movie.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1476705

Comment

Nice read

Comment

Working...