No announcement yet.

Richard Landgraff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dick Landgraff was one of the first people I ever met online, back in the old Warships1.com days, 20 years ago.

RIP Herr Landgraff
    “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

A great loss, his knowledge was retention of facts was amazing. I am proud to call Richard my friend. I am told that there will be a service, Monday October 23rd in Whittier, Ca but no details as of yet. Will post when I know more. Sue Schmidt, Iowa's volunteer coordinator tells me that Rusty's daughter said everyone is welcome. Craig
      Craig Johnson

Comment

Craig, with all that Dick was and did, would the ensign on Iowa be at "half staff"?
        It would be appropriate.

Comment

Originally posted by SlaterDoc View Post
          Craig, with all that Dick was and did, would the ensign on Iowa be at "half staff"?
          It would be appropriate.
          We will do a flag raising service for Richard's family, tentatively October 25 where we present the flag to his family. We do this for all staff & volunteers. But I agree, Rusty was an extra special volunteer and a great feeling of loss is felt on-board the Iowa by all. A bronze plaque commemorating Richard and all the founding board members is on permanently display in the wardroom of the USS Iowa. Craig
          Craig Johnson

Comment

Very sad, I didn't have a lot of interactions with Rusty but he passed on a couple of wise words via the odd personal message. I hope our condolences are being passed on to his family. It would have been a privilege to met him in person and even more so to count him as friend.
            If you are emotionally invested in 'believing' something is true you have lost the ability to tell if it is true.

Comment

RIP. My prayers are with his family.

Comment

RIP. damn, i thought he was on the mend.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

RIP, Mr. L.
                  My prayers, too, are with his family.
                  I consider myself honored and blessed to have had the opportunity to converse with him.
                  I shall miss the anticipation that came with seeing his "Rusty Battleship" under "Last Post", and the smile it always brought, finding he had been here since my last visit.

Comment

RIP, Mr. Landgraff.

So sad to learn of his passing.

I live in the same neighborhood, and drive past his house regularly, and I noticed a few weeks ago that his flag pole was now bare. I hoped to come here and find a post of his, explaining the missing flag due to some kids stealing it, but feared that would not be the case.

I too shall miss the anticipation of seeing his posts here, and all the knowledge and wisdom he so graciously shared. They just don't make'em like that anymore...

Comment

Sad to hear. But celebrate the lives he touched, the knowledge he imparted and the ships he loved that he was able to save. His legacy will live on for a very long time.

Farewell Rusty

Comment

Kristina Underhill, Rusty's daughter passed this along.

Memorial mass for my dad.
                        St Gregory the Great.
                        13935 Telegraph rd
                        Whittier, CA
                        October 23, 2017
                        2pm
                        In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Damn It!

Not another one.

Rusty, I loved to interact with you. You taught me so much about naval architecture and the great battleships. I did enjoy stumping you with the questions on Civil War vessels...always drove you nuts!

And the absolute joy and pride you had "talking" to me about your times in M41s & M48s. I think you were a tanker at heart.

Fair winds and following seas, Dick.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

RIP, Rusty.

You were a fountain of knowledge that touched a lot of people both here and in your volunteer work aboard the Iowa.

Rest easy

Comment

Rest in Peace, Mr. Landgraff.
                              "Only Nixon can go to China." -- Old Vulcan proverb.

Comment

RIP Rusty. You were a treasure to this community and enlightened and delighted many with your knowledge.

Comment

Working...
                                X