Richard Landgraff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Richard Landgraff

It's with deep regret that I tell you his daughter Kristina posted on his facebook page that Rusty passed away. If she leaves any details about services I'll pass them on.
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Very sad to hear. Rusty's passion for ships was one of the truly wonderful things about this forum, even for those of us who were only casually interested.

Thoughts to friends & family.
    sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

sigpic

Comment

A true treasure lost. He will be missed. Rest In Peace.

Comment

Rusty was one of a kind. Hard to ever replace his knowledge and lore of the LBNSYD or the IOWAs. Kind of figured when I failed to get a reply to an email I sent him last month that his health was on the decline.

My prayers are with his family, etc.

Hank

Comment

Dang it. RIP, sure was a wealth of knowledge and always willing to share.

Comment

So sorry to hear. Always enjoyed his stories and comments he had. Will be sorely missed.

Comment

He said it was coming and kept up his sense of humor for us but in the end it is still sad to see him depart. So much knowledge that is basically irreplaceable concerning these beasts we call battleships. At least I had the chance to tour the Iowa with him up in Suisun at his personal invitation. Many months later got the chance to give him a lift from his hotel the morning after, in Benicia, to the pier where the Iowa was first brought when pulled from Suisun. I found a picture I took with him while talking to one of our security guys on the Hornet after the Iowa docked for the night. Rest in peace, Dick.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by tbm3fan; 14 Oct 17,, 08:28.

Comment

Mr. L's passing .....

I want to join in remembering "Mr. L"

He nurtured my thirst to seek more knowledge about the Fletcher DD's; though we all are aware of his passion and commitment to the Iowa BB's.
                  Since last November he had started forwarding drawings selected from his files that will make their way to the remaining Fletcher's.
                  And I have a personal autographed copy of his "Yellow Book" proudly displayed on the shelf in my "man cave".
                  The WAB and I have both lost a great friend and mentor.

Comment

Very sad to hear he's gone. Thank you Rusty for everything you gave to all us here on WAB, you will be missed very much.
                    "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
                    -General George Patton Jr.

Comment

Man his posts were awesome. He wasn't mean, but I sure loved it when he owned somebody with something like "well, regarding the <fill in the blank> on the Iowas, I designed that"

RIP and thank you

Comment

Fair winds Dick, your labors are at an end and we have the watch...

Comment

My God! It is just not right that we loose another of the Giants in here! Mike Eagan passing was shock enough.
                          And now, Dick! There are no replacements for these men. These forums will just not be the same.
                          I kidded Dick some about the uniform he wore before getting smart and spending the rest of his
                          life on ships. His soul is a Navy soul! And therefore due a "Hand Salute"!
                          Fair winds my friend. We will eventually meet at that eternal historic fleet!
                          You are now back with your loving mate! But, she could have let us keep you just a little longer.

Comment

I found this online. Those who interacted a lot with Rusty or read his book will know the details, but those whose interaction was more casual might be interested. To echo the comments above, it is guys like Rusty who make places like this so remarkable. Many of us would never get to interact with someone like Rusty otherwise.

I am 62 years old (as of 1998) and a retired Naval Architect Technician from the Long Beach Naval Shipyard. I am a "bootstrap" engineering type as my family could not afford to send me to college. I started off at LBNS as an apprentice shipfitter in 1954 and spent ten years getting the feel of the steel in my blood.

During this time I was also a member of the California National Guard for 5 1/2 years as a vehicle mechanic, truck driver, track and turret mechanic (M-41and M-48 tanks), tank driver, tank gunner, driving instructor and assistant armorer.

In 1964 I transferred to the design division as a draftsman in the fittings section designing rigging, mooring systems, anchoring systems, towing arrangements, masts, replenishment-at-sea structures and fueling-at-sea
                            structures.

In 1968 I was the project leader to finish design and inspection of fittings and antennas on the USS New Jersey prior to her Viet Nam deployment. I also designed the undersea rigging systems for SEALAB II, DSRV test equipment and the replenishment systems for the Bathyscaph TRIESTE.

In 1976 I transferred to the structural section and designed hull structures and superstructure modifications including deckhouses and armor. I designed the armor for the ammo magazines on the LHA-1 class ships and the superstructure armor for the Spruance class destroyers.

In 1981 I was assigned as the structural project leader for the reactivation and modernization of the USS New Jersey for her fourth time in active service. I designed, or directed the design, all superstructure mods, Tomahawk decks,additional armor for new critical spaces and was the point of contact from the other design sections for arrangements, mast design, foundation designs, etc.

In 1983 I was promoted to be the Hull and Structural Configuration Manager for the reactivation of the USS Missouri and to conduct inspections of the USS Iowa and USS Wisconsin.

After the Configuration Manager section was disestablished in 1986 I returned to the structural design section and continued to work on the Battleships which included writing new cathodic protection shipalts and a two volume feasibility study of how to protect a BB and her crew from a CBR attack. I also directed the development of inactivation drawings when the ships were ordered into reserve status.

I retired from LBNS in 1994 after 39 1/2 years with credit for a new engineering formula, a Navy patent, two beneficial suggestions, one outstanding achievement award and four superior achievement awards.

Since retirement I have created my personal business DREADNAUGHT CONSULTING dedicated to saving the Battleships from the scrap heap. I have assisted museum/memorial associations in readying the ships to be set up as proper memorials but still maintaining a condition that would allow them to be recalled to duty.

I also take time out to find young Battleship enthusiasts,such as those on this board, that are willing to listen to my experiences so I may pass the torch on.

On the personal side, I collect HO model trains of the Milwaukee Road and do some cabinet making for a friend of mine. Except at Christmas time where I play Santa Claus for various charities or friends.

Richard A. Landgraff
                            DREADNAUGHT CONSULTING
                            Long Beach, California
                            http://www.navweaps.com/index_tech/default2_bioRL.htm
                            sigpic

Comment

This is terrible news, I'm very sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to his family.

Comment

Working...
                              X