Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day after Shalya jibe, Yashwant Sinha compares Modi-Shah with Duryodhana, Dushasana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day after Shalya jibe, Yashwant Sinha compares Modi-Shah with Duryodhana, Dushasana

NEW DELHI: A day after Prime Minister Narendra Modi referred to Shalya, a character from Mahabharata, to signify prevailing pessimism about economic situation, former Union Minister Yashwant Sinha on Thursday struck back comparing Modi and BJP President Amit Shah duo with the eldest Kaurava brothers Duryodhana and Dushasan.

Urging the people to "stand up" to save the great tradition of parliamentary democracy, Sinha said that "darr" (fear) and democracy don't go together.

"Mahabharata has been the flavour of the last couple of days since yesterday. And characters from Mahabharta have suddenly appeared. Some people are talking about Shalya. I don't know how much they know about Shalya.

"In Mahabharata, there are two famous characters -- Duryodhana and Dushsana. The Kauravas were 100 brothers. Out of them only two became famous, Duryodhana and Dushasana," Sinha said, leaving the audience in splits.

Sinha was invited by Congress leader and former Union Minister Manish Tewari to unveil his latest book "Tidings of Troubled Times".

On a serious note, Sinha observed that democracy is not merely numbers.

"The soul of democracy is consensus. So even if you have the numbers, you have to reach out to other people and parties to try and get them along," Sinha said recalling the days in Indian politics when stalwarts like Chandra Shekhar and Atal Bihari Vajpayee (both former Prime Ministers) set high ethical standards in politics.

"Nobody talked about Mukt-this Mukt-that because we are all part of the democratic process and we know that democracy means discussion, debate and an evolution of consensus based on these discussion," Sinha said in a clear attack on BJP's "Congress-mukt Bharat" (congress-free India) slogan.

"And if debates and discussions don't take place, consensus will not be there and that will kill the very fabric of democracy," he said, stressing the need to have dissenting voices in a healthy democratic set-up.

Sinha said that the first lesson he learnt in politics from the likes of Chandra Shekhar, Vajpayee and L.K. Advani was that "whatever your political persuasions may be, don't allow those differences to affect your personal relations".

"So when I was approached to come to this function to release the book by Manish Tewari, I readily agreed...I know the company I will be photographed with. It sends some message. I must also say I really don't care," he said.

"Some people believe that at this ripe old age of 80, I am perhaps looking for a job. Now, I come from a part of the country that has produced a famous character. His name is Babu Kunwar Singh.

"Babu Kunwar Singh became a major freedom fighter in the first war of Independence of 1857. When he joined the war he was 80 years old. So there is no age bar for fighting for freedom," Sinha said.

"Let me tell you that darr (fear) and democracy don't go together. And we will all have to strive together. Because at the end of the day we have to maintain the greatest tradition of parliamentary democracy. Let us stand up and face it," Sinha said.
    Arun Jaitley is incompetent. That many know. But is Yashwant right? Let's discuss.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Has Sinha fallen out with his party like Shourie

Comment

Probably. The oldies have been sidelined. But what I am trying to understand is if the criticisms of the Government are valid.

#1. There is a poor job scenario in India.
      #2. De-mo and GST were poorly executed.
      #3. 3+ years. How many years do the Government, which won on the plank of development need for basic reforms.

BJP state governments are pouring subsidies including waiving off farmers debt. Where is the root cause analysis for long term gains. NITI AAYOG is mostly sound bites, implementation on the ground is slow to nil.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

All three are true, the biggest obstacle to reform is vested interests. Not only in India but in many other countries as well.

Comment

#4. Corruption at the lower level has not decreased.

Ok, tell me one thing. If I want to start a business, say a pub/hotel, I apply for a license. When I do get it after bribing officials and running for tens of NOCs and authorisations, and then pay tax yearly to the government, why do I have to re-new my license again and again, year after year?

The government doesn't know this breeds corruption? Fact is no political party can survice without black money and corruption.

Comment

Made mistake by supporting Modi as PM: Arun Shourie

Ironically, Shourie was very loud when it came to supporting Modi as the PM candidate of the BJP.

Rajnath will go down the same path too in future.

And look at this, PIA to operate another flight to India from this month

The impression that the government has been giving is that Indian visas have become off limits for Paks, except just a handful of medical visas.

Comment

Not government's business to tell tourists what to eat or drink: NITI Aayog CEO Amitabh Kant

BJP has still not learnt to rein in its ministers. One gives out a stupid statement, then someone else has to do the cleaning job. And seriously, nobody has the right to dictate what tourists eat. Bigots.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                And seriously, nobody has the right to dictate what tourists eat.
                I would say the tourism minister's statement there ("they should eat beef at home and then come to India") is a surprisingly open one - for BJP. A real bigot would tell them not to eat beef at all, or for beef-eaters to stay out of India.

Comment

Originally posted by kato View Post
                  I would say the tourism minister's statement there ("they should eat beef at home and then come to India") is a surprisingly open one - for BJP.
                  These are some of the unknown faces in the BJP who probably think that if they talk crude it would please the master and they would gain prominence. He is a Christian and a Malayalee. Even Hindu Malayalees eat beef. India is not homogenous, it differs in its customs, religious diversity and food culture every 250 kms or so.

Originally posted by kato View Post
                  A real bigot would tell them not to eat beef at all, or for beef-eaters to stay out of India.
                  This is a non-starter as the whole NE eats beef. MoS Home Affairs Kiren Rijiju have openly said he eats beef.
                  'I eat beef, can somebody stop me?' Rijiju retorts to Naqvi statement

States Where Cow Slaughter is Banned So Far, and States Where it Isn't

The top brass of the BJP doesn't waste time on such silly things, knowing fully well even if a case if filed, the courts would throw it out.

Cattle trade for slaughter: Supreme Court suspends ban across India
                  Last edited by Oracle; 07 Oct 17,, 13:35.

Comment

Kerela is different so BJP has to adjust

Comment

/\/\/\ Hehehehehe!

Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar against blanket beef ban?

No Beef Shortage In Goa, Assures Manohar Parrikar. Ironic, Says Congress

Mind you, it was the Congress which first banned beef in India.

Congress was the first in banning cow slaughter

If anybody has to learn politics of riots, hate, bigotry and minority appeasement, they need to study the Congress.

Comment

I was told last week PMs' address on Mann ki Baat was about alcohol/substance abuse. Is booze ban next on the BJPs' agenda? Ban drugs, I don't care. Legitimize weed. And do not even think about banning alcohol. We've had too much of Hindutva in the last 3 years and less on any meaningful development. Not anymore, else millions like me will vote for Congress in 2019. This is a warning to the government, and not a plea.

Comment

No chance, the loss of revenue would be immense. These bans just empower the bootlegging mafias

In March they tried to stop sale of alcohol on all major highways. This invariably meant main streets in cities and even ones adjoining. Over time the adjoining streets got dropped

Comment

I know about bootlegging. I studied the US bootlegging mafia of the 30s in US.

Nitish Kumar, the dumbfuck that he is, invited FDI. Carlsberg invested $25 million in Bihar, then he went all out and banned booze in Bihar. Is this the message we want to give to foreign investors? Illicit liquor kills, not registered liquor companies.

You have to understand that the bootlegging mafia, amongst numerous other mafias are the ones that pay to the government to fight elections. It's systematic corruption with the support of a few individuals.

Why is Gujarat still dry? I have been to both Daman & Diu and I have seen people from Gujarat getting drunk with their cohorts a.k.a girlfriends/prostitutes.

The civilization which is 5000 years old and which was free then, is having to re-do basic issues. Something is very wrong in which our elected re-representives issue statements and guidelines.

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                              You have to understand that the bootlegging mafia, amongst numerous other mafias are the ones that pay to the government to fight elections.
                              Of course

I will support you if you can promise me windfall profits if you get into office would be the simplistic way of putting it

It's systematic corruption with the support of a few individuals.
                              In India its called corruption. In the west its called lobbying

My primary plank for opposing AAP is this so called corruption is what fuels democracy everywhere. No corruption, no more democracy equals dictatorship. Given Hazare's tactics it was evident they were looking to paralyse the system until they got their way.

We legalised corporate donations back in the 80s but corporations refuse to publish who they support as there can be negative consequences if the wrong party gets into office

So people say that the state instead should fund elections, no private donations.

Back in the 50s when costs were cheaper, the ruling party boss in the neighbourhood went to the local truck shop and said i need 50 trucks/ buses etc to contest the next elections.

He got them (!)

Why is Gujarat still dry? I have been to both Daman & Diu and I have seen people from Gujarat getting drunk with their cohorts a.k.a girlfriends/prostitutes.

The civilization which is 5000 years old and which was free then, is having to re-do basic issues. Something is very wrong in which our elected re-representives issue statements and guidelines.
                              Democracies are expensive, regularly in need of funds with each election cycle.

The general election in 2014 is estimated to have cost $4.9 billion, second only to US 2012
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 11 Oct 17,, 20:34.

Comment

Working...
                              X