Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 23242526272829303132
Results 466 to 478 of 478

Thread: Las Vegas Oct 2017 mass shooting

  1. #466
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,822
    I'm more worried about an accidental use of bear spray than I am with the use of an air horn in this situation. They're nice dogs, but one of them has a tendency to attack other dogs, and I don't want a lawsuit over another dog getting bear sprayed. It's the nicest, most gentle 25 lb. dog in the world, but its got some serious fight in it, and just wants to get into it with other people's dogs. It picks fights with dogs 5 or 10 times its size.

    I'll order this person some bear spray too, though, and admonish them about its use.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 22 Apr 18, at 21:10.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  2. #467
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,085
    He would spray other dogs? Yeah, tell him that's an instant lawsuit.

  3. #468
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,822
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    He would spray other dogs? Yeah, tell him that's an instant lawsuit.
    She might. She wanted to get a pistol to defend against bobcats.

    The dog is the most gentle, nicest dog in the world. And as far as I know, this nice, gentle 25 lb. dog only tries to attack other dogs when I visit and walk them. I'm a big, strong guy, I think the dog thinks I have its back, and it can attack/kill/get away with anything when I'm walking it. I really have to hold onto that leash, the dog is practically pulling my arm of out of its socket when it sees other dogs.

    I'm nothing but good to the dog - I feed it all the time, cook the dog dinner, scratch/massage/play with the dog for an hour or two a day when I visit, and I've never cultivated any aggressive instincts in them. So why this dog acts like that when I'm around is beyond me.

    When she walks them, this dog is very well behaved, as far as I know.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 22 Apr 18, at 20:41.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  4. #469
    Regular
    Join Date
    01 Apr 18
    Location
    Pasadena,CA
    Posts
    32
    How about a shotgun? With no shot it could be discharged into the air and with a shot a good chance to pepper that cat!

  5. #470
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,822
    Quote Originally Posted by XLAdept View Post
    How about a shotgun? With no shot it could be discharged into the air and with a shot a good chance to pepper that cat!
    Some people and guns is just simply a no-go. Not an option, and I don't need to explain why. :-)

    In my opinion (in an ideal Absolut™ world), nobody should ever have to carry a gun unless they intend to use it with lethal force, and the use of that force is necessary and proper.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 22 Apr 18, at 19:33.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  6. #471
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    I'm nothing but good to the dog - I feed it all the time, cook the dog dinner, scratch/massage/play with the dog for an hour or two a day when I visit, and I've never cultivated any aggressive instincts in them. So why this dog acts like that when I'm around is beyond me.
    Could be just that. You're too nice and the dog is trying to protect you. The lady might have always protected the dogs since they were puppies, hence they know she could take care of herself. You? Not so much.

    But yeah, a dog like that and a bobcat? It's a fight the dog will lose.

  7. #472
    Regular
    Join Date
    01 Apr 18
    Location
    Pasadena,CA
    Posts
    32
    I just thought that the shotgun would combine and even exceed the benefit of a pistol or a horn. She was considering a pistol after all

  8. #473
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,822
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Could be just that. You're too nice and the dog is trying to protect you. The lady might have always protected the dogs since they were puppies, hence they know she could take care of herself. You? Not so much.

    But yeah, a dog like that and a bobcat? It's a fight the dog will lose.
    I am quite firm with the dog in the correct manner when it misbehaves or I want it to do something - it does exactly what I want it to, when I direct it to do it, with no delay. My orders are obeyed. If I give an order, it does that thing, and when I say no, it stops doing that thing.

    Because the dog follows orders and is unquestioningly obedient, I indulge it with dinner, scratches, massages, and play time.

    But when it sees another dog, when I'm with it, it loses all control. The dog acts very rationally and obediently otherwise.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 22 Apr 18, at 21:12.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  9. #474
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,822
    Quote Originally Posted by XLAdept View Post
    I just thought that the shotgun would combine and even exceed the benefit of a pistol or a horn. She was considering a pistol after all
    If you're a man, know how to handle a shotgun, can safely fire it single-handedly in the air while you're holding the leashes in the other hand, and you're in an environment where carrying a shotgun may be necessary (e.g. the forest), sure, you have a point.

    Walking your dogs in town in a neighborhood filled with children, families, and elderly people is not a shotgun-toting environment.

    The bobcat invaded the town from the forest, killed a dog and some other wildlife in town, due to a lack of prey animals. It may have since then returned to the forest.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 22 Apr 18, at 19:54.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  10. #475
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    The bobcat invaded the town from the forest, killed a dog and some other wildlife in town, due to a lack of prey animals. It may have since then returned to the forest.
    Doesn't sound like a normal cat. With this many humans around, they will go out of their way to avoid any interaction. They're not coyotes with no fear and all the cunning. This sound like some diseased animal. I get the game warden up to destroy it just in case.

  11. #476
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,822
    It was an extremely long, cold winter. Geographically, we're talking about the southern part of the Canadian Shield that dips down into the Upper Midwest.

    The bobcat may have been rabid, it may have also been starving to death.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

  12. #477
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    The bobcat may have been rabid, it may have also been starving to death.
    Normal cats would take one meal out of desperation and then hightail out of there. It's staying around humans that got me concerned. Doesn't really sound like healthy cat behaviour. Either way, has the game warden check this out?

  13. #478
    Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Join Date
    02 Aug 03
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    11,822
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Normal cats would take one meal out of desperation and then hightail out of there. It's staying around humans that got me concerned. Doesn't really sound like healthy cat behaviour. Either way, has the game warden check this out?
    Not sure. I was born in that region but only return for visits. The information I got was second-hand, but there were multiple photos proving the presence of a bobcat in town, and contemporaneously a photo of a dead dog in the same town with all the tell-tale signs of a bobcat attack.

    Everything else I've said regarding the bobcat is speculation. I'm not sure what the current status of the bobcat is, or what steps have been taken to address the issue.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 22 Apr 18, at 20:26.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. What Happens in Vegas Should Stay in Vegas
    By Shek in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10 Apr 09,, 07:12
  2. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 13 Apr 08,, 06:49
  3. 30 000 Brits in Las Vegas RIGHT NOW
    By Mobbme in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09 Dec 07,, 11:36
  4. Las Vegas
    By bonehead in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 21 Dec 06,, 04:42

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •