Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Well done to you and your peers.

Glad to see some of my CFC money being put to good use!
    Nah, I was down there for IAA this (disaster) go round. If you have car insurance though.... I think everyone is going to see rates go up.

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
      Good show
      Colonel?

Comment

Long time, Jason. I see you're still doing us proud.
        Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
          My truck...
          That car still looks amazing on the outside. Was it salvageable? I can't imagine the owner would part with it but if the interior has been soaking in sh*t water for 3 days.....

Comment

Originally posted by citanon View Post
            That car still looks amazing on the outside. Was it salvageable? I can't imagine the owner would part with it but if the interior has been soaking in sh*t water for 3 days.....
            Honestly, I don't think water ever got in it, think the owner just wanted the check for the ACV. Hagerty has those things at about $54k.

Comment

Originally posted by WABs_OOE View Post
              Long time, Jason. I see you're still doing us proud.
              Too long sir, I was rather worried about you.

Comment

Just got done re-certifying as a wilderness first responder (WFR). Its why my posts this weekend were early morning.

At least there wasn't six to eight inches of snow on the ground this time. Since the entire class was outdoors in the Quachita National Forest the lack of snow was welcome.

Unwritten rule, if you pack in 200lbs of gear, you'll packout 390lbs of patient and gear..... That whole ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain taken to a whole new level.

Its an extremely useful class not just for wilderness search and rescue,but any thing where definitive care is not close at hand. boaters, back pakers, expeditions, 4x4/4wheeling and disasters. It has 6 protocols that are specific to a setting where definitive care will be delayed including anaphlaxis, wound management,cpr, spine injuries, reducing dislocated joints, and severe asthma. Besides the obvious wilderness injuries like hypothermia there is a lot more about longer term patient care with a wide variety of illness and injuries. What works when the ambulance is 15 minutes away may not work when you have to move someone with a spinal injury several miles over broken terrain or manage someone with a severe trauma for several days. Way more intense than my normal emergency medical responder or farm medic certs.

Comment

Its an extremely useful class not just for wilderness search and rescue,but any thing where definitive care is not close at hand. boaters, back pakers, expeditions, 4x4/4wheeling and disasters. It has 6 protocols that are specific to a setting where definitive care will be delayed including anaphlaxis, wound management,cpr, spine injuries, reducing dislocated joints, and severe asthma. Besides the obvious wilderness injuries like hypothermia there is a lot more about longer term patient care with a wide variety of illness and injuries. What works when the ambulance is 15 minutes away may not work when you have to move someone with a spinal injury several miles over broken terrain or manage someone with a severe trauma for several days. Way more intense than my normal emergency medical responder or farm medic certs.
                  How many patients we talking about here ?

Was about to ask where are the air ambulances ? and then have to stop to consider how big the country actually is

Comment

When I was in college I was on a mountain rescue crew in West Virginia. Most of the time it was an injured hiker or climber who were ambulatory or who we carried out on a Stokes litter. We had one time where we didn't have a Stokes (don't ask) and I had to buddy carry the patient 3/4 of a mile down a mountain to the ambulance. For many parts it was a rappel down the trail because it was so steep. At the end I was so beat I couldn't climb the steps to the suspension bridge over the North Fork of the Shenandoah River so I just walked through the ford.

I more than understand how much "fun" that can be.

And thanks for doing this tough but vital work.
                    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                    Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      How many patients we talking about here ?

Was about to ask where are the air ambulances ? and then have to stop to consider how big the country actually is
                      It was training so we usually had multiple victims so everyone acting as rescuer had someone to treat. The final sim included one patient who had to be transported. The other victims retconned as arriving rescuers to help with the evac since it is physically intensive to move someone with a sine injury across broken terrain safely.

No air ambulance since it was training and even in a RL situation Arkansas doesn't have much in the way of helicopters equipped with lifts. We still have to get them to a LZ.

Alby,

we have a mule for our stokes. Its easier than doing a 2, 4 or 6 person carry on narrow trails but still physically demanding.
                      Attached Files

Comment

It was training so we usually had multiple victims so everyone acting as rescuer had someone to treat. The final sim included one patient who had to be transported. The other victims retconned as arriving rescuers to help with the evac since it is physically intensive to move someone with a sine injury across broken terrain safely.

No air ambulance since it was training and even in a RL situation Arkansas doesn't have much in the way of helicopters equipped with lifts. We still have to get them to a LZ.

Alby,

we have a mule for our stokes. Its easier than doing a 2, 4 or 6 person carry on narrow trails but still physically demanding.
                        Would have loved that...but I did it in the 1970s and I don't think that stuff had been invented yet!

Glad the gear keeps getting better.
                        “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                        Mark Twain

Comment

Z, with all this recent political disagreements and unpleasantness, I am deeply grateful that you are the the same good man who charge to the sounds of the guns to help people and hope I am still thought of by as a friend. Well done.
                          All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                          -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                            Z, with all this recent political disagreements and unpleasantness, I am deeply grateful that you are the the same good man who charge to the sounds of the guns to help people and hope I am still thought of by as a friend. Well done.
                            My political hat doesn't go into the field. A victim is a victim period full stop. You are, all here are, family can disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Albany Rifles View Post
                              Would have loved that...but I did it in the 1970s and I don't think that stuff had been invented yet!

Glad the gear keeps getting better.
                              You should see some of the advances in rope gear and trauma care. The effectiveness of tourniquets in Iraq and Afghanistan was so decisive in saving lives it has radically altered how we approach bleeding in a civilian emergency. Direct pressure is a dying method, now its put the CAT on early and simply stop the bleed fast to prevent volume shock.

BTW, if any non-military ever get the chance to take a LEFR-TCC class (Stop the bleed) take it. Its the civvie version of TCC.

Comment

Right and multiply that across many states

All the best, Z

Comment

Working...
                                X