Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: I'm back

  1. #16
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Well done to you and your peers.

    Glad to see some of my CFC money being put to good use!
    Nah, I was down there for IAA this (disaster) go round. If you have car insurance though.... I think everyone is going to see rates go up.

  2. #17
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,934
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Good show
    Colonel?

  3. #18
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    981
    Long time, Jason. I see you're still doing us proud.

  4. #19
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    13 Nov 07
    Posts
    3,848
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    My truck...
    That car still looks amazing on the outside. Was it salvageable? I can't imagine the owner would part with it but if the interior has been soaking in sh*t water for 3 days.....

  5. #20
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,934
    Quote Originally Posted by citanon View Post
    That car still looks amazing on the outside. Was it salvageable? I can't imagine the owner would part with it but if the interior has been soaking in sh*t water for 3 days.....
    Honestly, I don't think water ever got in it, think the owner just wanted the check for the ACV. Hagerty has those things at about $54k.

  6. #21
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,934
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Long time, Jason. I see you're still doing us proud.
    Too long sir, I was rather worried about you.

  7. #22
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,934
    Just got done re-certifying as a wilderness first responder (WFR). Its why my posts this weekend were early morning.

    At least there wasn't six to eight inches of snow on the ground this time. Since the entire class was outdoors in the Quachita National Forest the lack of snow was welcome.

    Unwritten rule, if you pack in 200lbs of gear, you'll packout 390lbs of patient and gear..... That whole ounces equal pounds, and pounds equal pain taken to a whole new level.

    Its an extremely useful class not just for wilderness search and rescue,but any thing where definitive care is not close at hand. boaters, back pakers, expeditions, 4x4/4wheeling and disasters. It has 6 protocols that are specific to a setting where definitive care will be delayed including anaphlaxis, wound management,cpr, spine injuries, reducing dislocated joints, and severe asthma. Besides the obvious wilderness injuries like hypothermia there is a lot more about longer term patient care with a wide variety of illness and injuries. What works when the ambulance is 15 minutes away may not work when you have to move someone with a spinal injury several miles over broken terrain or manage someone with a severe trauma for several days. Way more intense than my normal emergency medical responder or farm medic certs.

  8. #23
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,608
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    Its an extremely useful class not just for wilderness search and rescue,but any thing where definitive care is not close at hand. boaters, back pakers, expeditions, 4x4/4wheeling and disasters. It has 6 protocols that are specific to a setting where definitive care will be delayed including anaphlaxis, wound management,cpr, spine injuries, reducing dislocated joints, and severe asthma. Besides the obvious wilderness injuries like hypothermia there is a lot more about longer term patient care with a wide variety of illness and injuries. What works when the ambulance is 15 minutes away may not work when you have to move someone with a spinal injury several miles over broken terrain or manage someone with a severe trauma for several days. Way more intense than my normal emergency medical responder or farm medic certs.
    How many patients we talking about here ?

    Was about to ask where are the air ambulances ? and then have to stop to consider how big the country actually is

  9. #24
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,773
    When I was in college I was on a mountain rescue crew in West Virginia. Most of the time it was an injured hiker or climber who were ambulatory or who we carried out on a Stokes litter. We had one time where we didn't have a Stokes (don't ask) and I had to buddy carry the patient 3/4 of a mile down a mountain to the ambulance. For many parts it was a rappel down the trail because it was so steep. At the end I was so beat I couldn't climb the steps to the suspension bridge over the North Fork of the Shenandoah River so I just walked through the ford.

    I more than understand how much "fun" that can be.

    And thanks for doing this tough but vital work.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  10. #25
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    How many patients we talking about here ?

    Was about to ask where are the air ambulances ? and then have to stop to consider how big the country actually is
    It was training so we usually had multiple victims so everyone acting as rescuer had someone to treat. The final sim included one patient who had to be transported. The other victims retconned as arriving rescuers to help with the evac since it is physically intensive to move someone with a sine injury across broken terrain safely.

    No air ambulance since it was training and even in a RL situation Arkansas doesn't have much in the way of helicopters equipped with lifts. We still have to get them to a LZ.

    Alby,

    we have a mule for our stokes. Its easier than doing a 2, 4 or 6 person carry on narrow trails but still physically demanding.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  11. #26
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,773
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    It was training so we usually had multiple victims so everyone acting as rescuer had someone to treat. The final sim included one patient who had to be transported. The other victims retconned as arriving rescuers to help with the evac since it is physically intensive to move someone with a sine injury across broken terrain safely.

    No air ambulance since it was training and even in a RL situation Arkansas doesn't have much in the way of helicopters equipped with lifts. We still have to get them to a LZ.

    Alby,

    we have a mule for our stokes. Its easier than doing a 2, 4 or 6 person carry on narrow trails but still physically demanding.
    Would have loved that...but I did it in the 1970s and I don't think that stuff had been invented yet!

    Glad the gear keeps getting better.
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  12. #27
    Senior Contributor Triple C's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Apr 06
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    2,398
    Z, with all this recent political disagreements and unpleasantness, I am deeply grateful that you are the the same good man who charge to the sounds of the guns to help people and hope I am still thought of by as a friend. Well done.
    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

  13. #28
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple C View Post
    Z, with all this recent political disagreements and unpleasantness, I am deeply grateful that you are the the same good man who charge to the sounds of the guns to help people and hope I am still thought of by as a friend. Well done.
    My political hat doesn't go into the field. A victim is a victim period full stop. You are, all here are, family can disagree.

  14. #29
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    14,934
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Would have loved that...but I did it in the 1970s and I don't think that stuff had been invented yet!

    Glad the gear keeps getting better.
    You should see some of the advances in rope gear and trauma care. The effectiveness of tourniquets in Iraq and Afghanistan was so decisive in saving lives it has radically altered how we approach bleeding in a civilian emergency. Direct pressure is a dying method, now its put the CAT on early and simply stop the bleed fast to prevent volume shock.

    BTW, if any non-military ever get the chance to take a LEFR-TCC class (Stop the bleed) take it. Its the civvie version of TCC.

  15. #30
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    7,608
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    No air ambulance since it was training and even in a RL situation Arkansas doesn't have much in the way of helicopters equipped with lifts. We still have to get them to a LZ.
    Right and multiply that across many states

    All the best, Z

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 4 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 4 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. I am back
    By Ray in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 22 Aug 07,, 17:56
  2. I'm back
    By Lunatock in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23 Jan 07,, 21:58
  3. I'm back
    By bigross86 in forum World Affairs Board Pub
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 29 Sep 06,, 00:55
  4. We’ll be back
    By Gio in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 19 Nov 04,, 00:37

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •