Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When War came to Assam

https://www.teabox.com/blog/war-came-assam

Interesting find while pursuing something else : )

The Assam-Kunming road and rail links were vital and the Hump airlift operated from multiple airfields. It referred to the Himalayas, the Hump that cost the mainly US aircrews 700 planes. 500 of which have never been recovered. Flights took off every two minutes, with just a one in three chance of the pilot surviving the next 1,000 mile round trip.
    The Assam region was the nexus of the defense against Japan because it provided the few pathways through the Himalayas. The Japanese invaders brought with them 5,000 mules, an indicator of the terrain. These were not enough. None survived and most were eaten; that’s an indicator of the conditions. The battles were slugfests, with very high casualties. Professional soldiers and historians increasingly recognize the critical importance of Kohima; it was they who voted it the greatest battle in Britain’s entire history.
    “When you go home, tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow, we gave our today.”
    Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Sep 17,, 01:28.

When I was a kid, I would see sporadic white tourists in Silchar. The place is not a tourist destination. I thought they were British because all white folks reminded me of Brits then. A senior in high school told me they were the grandchildren of the British generals who had worked in India. The purpose: to dig up land for hidden gold and diamonds that their grandfathers buried before independence.

“When you go home, tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow, we gave our today.”
    This is inspirational as well as sad. Every human being deserves a funeral. AFAIK, some people even to this day come with the hope of finding their ancestors remains.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
      This is inspirational as well as sad. Every human being deserves a funeral.
      Have seen those words on a ww memorial in the city, now i know where they came from.

The way its said here is better though

AFAIK, some people even to this day come with the hope of finding their ancestors remains.
      yeah, sure i read about that somewhere. Arunachal.
      Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Sep 17,, 07:02.

Comment

Mortal remains of American WWII pilot to reach home in January

Gary Zaetz, founder and chairman of Families and Supporters of America's Arunachal Missing in Action, told TOI, "Due to restrictions by Indian authorities, the US government could recover only three out of possibly 400 missing airmen in Arunachal. So far in 2018, no recovery or survey operations have been permitted yet."
        What is the logic behind these restrictions? These dead military people deserve to be buried in their home countries, and their families need a closure. The least the GoI can do is show some empathy and a fair bit of respect.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Mortal remains of American WWII pilot to reach home in January

Gary Zaetz, founder and chairman of Families and Supporters of America's Arunachal Missing in Action, told TOI, "Due to restrictions by Indian authorities, the US government could recover only three out of possibly 400 missing airmen in Arunachal. So far in 2018, no recovery or survey operations have been permitted yet."
          What is the logic behind these restrictions? These dead military people deserve to be buried in their home countries, and their families need a closure. The least the GoI can do is show some empathy and a fair bit of respect.

Comment

Working...
          X