Thread: When War came to Assam

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar

When War came to Assam

https://www.teabox.com/blog/war-came-assam

Interesting find while pursuing something else : )

The Assam-Kunming road and rail links were vital and the Hump airlift operated from multiple airfields. It referred to the Himalayas, the Hump that cost the mainly US aircrews 700 planes. 500 of which have never been recovered. Flights took off every two minutes, with just a one in three chance of the pilot surviving the next 1,000 mile round trip.
    The Assam region was the nexus of the defense against Japan because it provided the few pathways through the Himalayas. The Japanese invaders brought with them 5,000 mules, an indicator of the terrain. These were not enough. None survived and most were eaten; that’s an indicator of the conditions. The battles were slugfests, with very high casualties. Professional soldiers and historians increasingly recognize the critical importance of Kohima; it was they who voted it the greatest battle in Britain’s entire history.
    “When you go home, tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow, we gave our today.”
    Last edited by Double Edge; 12 Sep 17, at 02:28.

Senior Contributor
    When I was a kid, I would see sporadic white tourists in Silchar. The place is not a tourist destination. I thought they were British because all white folks reminded me of Brits then. A senior in high school told me they were the grandchildren of the British generals who had worked in India. The purpose: to dig up land for hidden gold and diamonds that their grandfathers buried before independence.

“When you go home, tell them of us and say, for your tomorrow, we gave our today.”
    This is inspirational as well as sad. Every human being deserves a funeral. AFAIK, some people even to this day come with the hope of finding their ancestors remains.

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    This is inspirational as well as sad. Every human being deserves a funeral.
    Have seen those words on a ww memorial in the city, now i know where they came from.

The way its said here is better though

AFAIK, some people even to this day come with the hope of finding their ancestors remains.
    yeah, sure i read about that somewhere. Arunachal.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Sep 17, at 08:02.

Thread Information