View Poll Results: What is the best course of action in dealing with North Korea?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Full scale preemptive military strike

4 28.57%
  • Limited preemptive military strike

0 0%
  • Appeasement in the form of recognition and aid

1 7.14%
  • Strategic Patience - Neither negotiation nor military action

9 64.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 47484950515253545556

Thread: The Korean Dilemma

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Peanuts for peanuts but some people want to believe its diamonds for peanuts : )
    A peanut is intrinsically worth more than a diamond though.

Peanuts are nutritious and chock full of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. Diamonds are just rocks that people got scammed into buying because supposedly, he doesn't love you unless he gets you diamonds. The bigger the diamond, the more he loves you. Used to be one month's salary for an engagement ring, and now it's two. Soon, no doubt, it will be three months, or even six.

Try selling a diamond back to the store you bought it from. They won't take it, or even give you an offer on it. You'll be lucky to get 20 cents on the dollar from a pawn shop for it.

Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond? - The Atlantic, Edward Jay Epstein, February 1982
    The Diamond Myth - The Atlantic, Stuart Reid, December 2006
    Last edited by Ironduke; 25 Jun 18, at 23:29.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post
    Yeah, I'm not going to replace my diamond tipped drill bits nor my diamond blades with peanuts anytime soon.

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WABs_OOE View Post
    Yeah, I'm not going to replace my diamond tipped drill bits nor my diamond blades with peanuts anytime soon.
    I was referring to gem diamonds. Industrial diamonds do have intrinsic value, as they have a functional use.
    What I don't want to see is the Bills winning a Super Bowl. As long as I'm alive that doesn't happen.

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironduke View Post

Peanuts are nutritious and chock full of vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats. Diamonds are just rocks that people got scammed into buying because supposedly, he doesn't love you unless he gets you diamonds. The bigger the diamond, the more he loves you. Used to be one month's salary for an engagement ring, and now it's two. Soon, no doubt, it will be three months, or even six.
    They're not rocks, they're minerals, Marie : ((

Try selling a diamond back to the store you bought it from. They won't take it, or even give you an offer on it. You'll be lucky to get 20 cents on the dollar from a pawn shop for it.

Have You Ever Tried to Sell a Diamond? - The Atlantic, Edward Jay Epstein, February 1982
    The Diamond Myth - The Atlantic, Stuart Reid, December 2006
    This is why gold rules in India : )
    Last edited by Double Edge; 26 Jun 18, at 06:11.

Senior Contributor
    Seems that the norks have no intention of 'denuclearising' but are trying to hide things better. Quelle surprise!

Really ?

Mike Pompeo sets off for North Korea nuclear talks, hopes denuclearisation process is underway in a year | AFP | Jul 05 2018

the statement the leaders signed was short on detailed commitments and Pompeo has been tasked with negotiating a plan to achieve the "complete denuclearisation" of the Korean peninsula. This would involve Kim making a detailed declaration of the extent of his nuclear arsenal and enrichment programme, and agreeing on a timetable for it to be dismantled and placed under inspection.

Washington hopes that the process can be underway within a year, but many expert observers and Trump critics warn that Kim's summit promise meant little and the process could take years. In the meantime, Pompeo and Trump have vowed to keep in the place the international economic sanctions that they believe forced the North to the negotiating table in the first place.
    In a year the title says, so how did you conclude so quickly ?

His trip to NK is a sore point in India as he was scheduled to be in India on those days initially
    Last edited by Double Edge; 06 Jul 18, at 01:00.

Senior Contributor
    "We had anticipated the US side would come with a constructive idea, thinking we would take something in return," the North Korean statement said.

"But through the high-level talks, the trust between the DPRK and the United States is facing a dangerous situation where our resolve for denuclearisation, which has been firm and steadfast, may falter."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44751283

Shocking! Can it be that the man child was mistaken?

May and can are ambigious

Both are hard balling nobody has walked away yet

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    May and can are ambigious

Both are hard balling nobody has walked away yet
    This might apply here some. I know someone who is a CFO of a tech firm that makes very expensive laser equipment for chip fabrication. We were talking about paying bills at net 30 days. He said that Americans and European firms pay that way. He also said that the Japanese pretty much honor their contracts. However, the Chinese, Taiwanese and Koreans do not honor their contracts. They always find reasons to delay paying and holding up their end of the bargain. In fact there was no shame in not paying at all. The shame was in paying too soon. Now his equipment was so technical and difficult to build that his firm were the only ones capable of servicing the lasers. In the end they would call about needing servicing and at that point he would tell them sure right after you pay us.

I see agreements/contracts with the North Koreans in that light and with them being the worst of the bunch.

I doubt this WH cares about those nuances. First Trump says he will meet, then its off. This i understood to mean NK wasn't offering enough. Then it was on again and took place. So NK decided to offer more. Now the meet is over. If NK goes back, Pompeo will be there detailing what the consequences will be. This i what i interpret 'gangster like tactics' to mean. It's ironic to hear NK say that because they are gangsters so they must be getting squeezed good. Trump can walk away at any point and NK is back in the dog house again.

Trump has shown he is his own man, he's given the beltway the finger and gone further than the last three presidents with NK. He doesn't care for their advice. Feeling spurned they are going to be filling the media with all of their doubts and thoughts. Had a earful before the meet, same is continuing now. Each day something will be said how its going to fall apart or whatever real soon now.

Know what, let that happen first !
    Last edited by Double Edge; 08 Jul 18, at 00:36.

Defense ProfessionalSenior Contributor tbm3fan's Avatar
    Yep, those results just keep on coming...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/12/polit...ins/index.html

Pyongyang has asked the UN Command Armistice Commission to upgrade the talks to a higher level to include a US general, South Korea's foreign ministry said.

The US later said that North Korea had offered to meet on 15 July.

"We will be ready," US state department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-44598078

Thread Information