Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24

Thread: Iowa Class A and Class B joint

  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    07 Aug 10
    Posts
    39

    Iowa Class A and Class B joint

    To Rusty or anyone else with knowledge about the Iowas, how are the upper Class A and lower Class B belts connected together? They seem to be offset somewhat because I think the Class A plate has some 2" of cement between it and the 7/8" backing STS plate. I haven't been able to find any information on how the two belts are joined together.

  2. #2
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    To Rusty or anyone else with knowledge about the Iowas, how are the upper Class A and lower Class B belts connected together? They seem to be offset somewhat because I think the Class A plate has some 2" of cement between it and the 7/8" backing STS plate. I haven't been able to find any information on how the two belts are joined together.
    Keyway "slots". The lower Class B armor is first installed (obviously). The top edge is a miter type slot on the inboard side. The heat treatment of the Class A is done such a way as to leave all edges "soft" for machining key ways, drilling bolt holes, etc.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  3. #3
    Regular
    Join Date
    07 Aug 10
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Keyway "slots". The lower Class B armor is first installed (obviously). The top edge is a miter type slot on the inboard side. The heat treatment of the Class A is done such a way as to leave all edges "soft" for machining key ways, drilling bolt holes, etc.
    Thank you, you're simply an encyclopedia.

    Which way do the slots run? In the traverse or longitudinal direction? I ask this because the method that the Japanese used to attach the upper and lower belt consist of just using rivets, which made it notoriously weak, so I'm wondering how the Iowa joints the upper and lower belt to see if it has this problem as well.

  4. #4
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    Thank you, you're simply an encyclopedia.

    Which way do the slots run? In the traverse or longitudinal direction? I ask this because the method that the Japanese used to attach the upper and lower belt consist of just using rivets, which made it notoriously weak, so I'm wondering how the Iowa joints the upper and lower belt to see if it has this problem as well.
    Well, on the port & stbd longitudinal armor bhds the keyways are longitudinal of course so the upper belt does not slip off into the void inboard of torpedo bhd 3. The transverse armor bhds at frames 50 & 166 would be transverse, of course, in relation to the centerline of the ship. Besides, those two bhds are set vertical anyway.

    I have a book or a photo somewhere in this house that has a photo of shipfitters waiting at the top edge of the Class B lower belt for the crane to bring in the upper Class A upper belt. But I do not feel like looking for it now. I only have a few hours a week to be in my own home. I'm supposed to be at my daughter's home laying in bed and waiting for pancreatic cancer to kill me.

    Bull Crappy! I've got better things to do such as this morning and 2 days ago I'm out in their back yard with a chain saw cutting up some old trees they don't want anymore. Yesterday I bought 20 lbs of mortar mix to fix some seam and butt cracks in their block wall. Still have to clean out some of the cracks with an electric hand grinder or a pneumatic chipping gun. Well, I have the tools, I might as well get as much use out of them while I can.

    Oh yeah! Last month I turned 81 but think I"m 41 after having a couple of gorgeous blond nurses at Memorial Hospital. Well, I'm a widower now (since last December 15th) and allowed to at least flirt now.
    Last edited by RustyBattleship; 27 Aug 17, at 02:40.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  5. #5
    Senior Contributor surfgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    06 Nov 09
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    1,638
    Keep that chin up and nose to the grindstone; Dick! It's good to hear that regardless of material condition, that you are staying in motion.
    Keeping you in my thoughts.

  6. #6
    Military Professional dundonrl's Avatar
    Join Date
    23 Mar 07
    Posts
    697
    Richard, your 81? Damn, where does the time go, it seems like it was last year that you were "Santa" on the Essex in 1993 (or was it 94)..

  7. #7
    Global Moderator
    Military Professional
    Defense Professional
    Albany Rifles's Avatar
    Join Date
    27 Apr 07
    Location
    Prince George, VA
    Posts
    8,725
    Keep up the fight, Dick!

    And go get those nurses!!!
    “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
    Mark Twain

  8. #8
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,042
    Quote Originally Posted by dundonrl View Post
    Richard, your 81? Damn, where does the time go, it seems like it was last year that you were "Santa" on the Essex in 1993 (or was it 94)..
    It was '93' in San Diego. I proudly display the plaque the ship gave me for such an enjoyable day.

    You see, I was already on the ship officially finishing up the repair of your cargo-weapons elevators. But I went off the clock to play Santa and hooked your Captain into sing-along with 12 Days of Christmas. Then I went back on the clock for the next few days to finish up the elevator repair.

    I was determined to get that screwed up hunk of Litton Industries steel abortion back on duty if I had to push it away from the pier myself.

    Then my last week of employment with the Navy was in January of '94' at a FEMA center in Van Nuys helping disaster victims of the Northridge earthquake fill out their forms. I retired on February 1 after over 39 years at LBNSY and coincidentally on my wife and I Silver wedding anniversary.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  9. #9
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Albany Rifles View Post
    Keep up the fight, Dick!

    And go get those nurses!!!
    Oh how I would "love" to have one of them as my Hospice shower nurse.

    At MY age? Just kidding (I think).

    But I'm back to driving on my own again and no longer have to ask a relative or a friend if they have the time to take me home to check on my mail or pick up some more tools to repair my daughter's block wall.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    07 Aug 10
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Well, on the port & stbd longitudinal armor bhds the keyways are longitudinal of course so the upper belt does not slip off into the void inboard of torpedo bhd 3. The transverse armor bhds at frames 50 & 166 would be transverse, of course, in relation to the centerline of the ship. Besides, those two bhds are set vertical anyway.

    I have a book or a photo somewhere in this house that has a photo of shipfitters waiting at the top edge of the Class B lower belt for the crane to bring in the upper Class A upper belt. But I do not feel like looking for it now. I only have a few hours a week to be in my own home. I'm supposed to be at my daughter's home laying in bed and waiting for pancreatic cancer to kill me.

    Bull Crappy! I've got better things to do such as this morning and 2 days ago I'm out in their back yard with a chain saw cutting up some old trees they don't want anymore. Yesterday I bought 20 lbs of mortar mix to fix some seam and butt cracks in their block wall. Still have to clean out some of the cracks with an electric hand grinder or a pneumatic chipping gun. Well, I have the tools, I might as well get as much use out of them while I can.

    Oh yeah! Last month I turned 81 but think I"m 41 after having a couple of gorgeous blond nurses at Memorial Hospital. Well, I'm a widower now (since last December 15th) and allowed to at least flirt now.
    Thank you for the response, I do hope you'll get better.

    Sorry, I'm still having a bit of trouble visualizing. So you're saying that there's a slot like this on the upper edge of the Class B belt?



    Or is it like this?



    I'm not very familiar with what a miter type slot is. If it's the second, then I'm a bit curious how you would fit them together, since the only way would be to slide it in longitudinally. Are there any pins, bolts, or rivets in these slots to hold the connection together to prevent sliding?
    Last edited by Radical; 02 Sep 17, at 00:14.

  11. #11
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    Thank you for the response, I do hope you'll get better.

    Sorry, I'm still having a bit of trouble visualizing. So you're saying that there's a slot like this on the upper edge of the Class B belt?



    Or is it like this?



    I'm not very familiar with what a miter type slot is. If it's the second, then I'm a bit curious how you would fit them together, since the only way would be to slide it in longitudinally. Are there any pins, bolts, or rivets in these slots to hold the connection together to prevent sliding?
    No. It's more like simple cleat lap lumber for your house siding. But the "groove" is on the inboard side of the class B so the class A does not slip off.

    As for my health, the heat wave here in Southern CA is murder on everyone. Even my Hospice nurse today was an hour late because of suffering patients she had before me. Though I can drive by myself, that %#@& truck of mine has its master cylinder going out. Plus the transmission doesn't know if it wants to stay in drive or shift down to 2nd gear so it jumps back and forth on the slightest "hill". Not good as a close friend of mine is coming down Monday from Montana for his radio club convention. Heck, I had smoother driving with those old Studebaker 2 1/2 ton Rheos that had to be manually double clutched.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  12. #12
    Regular
    Join Date
    07 Aug 10
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    No. It's more like simple cleat lap lumber for your house siding. But the "groove" is on the inboard side of the class B so the class A does not slip off.

    As for my health, the heat wave here in Southern CA is murder on everyone. Even my Hospice nurse today was an hour late because of suffering patients she had before me. Though I can drive by myself, that %#@& truck of mine has its master cylinder going out. Plus the transmission doesn't know if it wants to stay in drive or shift down to 2nd gear so it jumps back and forth on the slightest "hill". Not good as a close friend of mine is coming down Monday from Montana for his radio club convention. Heck, I had smoother driving with those old Studebaker 2 1/2 ton Rheos that had to be manually double clutched.
    I'm don't know carpenter terms, unfortunately. From what you're describing, I've attempted to draw it on paint, does it look like this?
    Name:  Class A-B joint.png
Views: 543
Size:  9.8 KB

    Also, what is the thickness of the holding bulkhead abreast of the turrets and powder magazines? I've read some reports that it's 1" STS, but I haven't been able to confirm with blueprints.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Radical; 02 Sep 17, at 08:07.

  13. #13
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    I'm don't know carpenter terms, unfortunately. From what you're describing, I've attempted to draw it on paint, does it look like this?
    Name:  Class A-B joint.png
Views: 543
Size:  9.8 KB

    Also, what is the thickness of the holding bulkhead abreast of the turrets and powder magazines? I've read some reports that it's 1" STS, but I haven't been able to confirm with blueprints.
    Like your 2nd drawing. NOT THE ONE SHOWING IN THIS REPLY. Don't feel bad about carpentry terms. I'm not a carpenter either but have done it when I had to. I'm better at cabinet making or restoring Battleships.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

  14. #14
    Regular
    Join Date
    07 Aug 10
    Posts
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyBattleship View Post
    Like your 2nd drawing. NOT THE ONE SHOWING IN THIS REPLY. Don't feel bad about carpentry terms. I'm not a carpenter either but have done it when I had to. I'm better at cabinet making or restoring Battleships.
    Interesting. Is the key a part of the Class A plate, or a separate piece?

  15. #15
    Defense Professional RustyBattleship's Avatar
    Join Date
    12 Jan 06
    Location
    Long Beach, CA
    Posts
    6,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Radical View Post
    Interesting. Is the key a part of the Class A plate, or a separate piece?
    Part of the class A plate. Not hard to do as I said previously, the edges are NOT face hardened (kept "soft" with wet asbestos during heating) so they can be machined as key lock edges or grooves (fwd & aft edges) for separate keys or drilled for Class C armor bolts.
    Able to leap tall tales in a single groan.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Modernized Iowa Class versus Essex WWII Carrier Class
    By talshiar in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 30 Apr 18,, 11:24
  2. Iowa Class & Midway Class - Same Powerplant?
    By eocoolj in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 01 Jun 11,, 17:40
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 24 Sep 09,, 22:20
  4. Iowa Class BB
    By Stan in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 30 Jul 08,, 19:39
  5. Iowa Class vs Kirov Class
    By eocoolj in forum Battleships Board
    Replies: 224
    Last Post: 12 Jun 08,, 00:02

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •