Game of Thrones Season 7 Episode 4 "Spoils of War"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
    I thought that siege was ended last season when the Freys took over. I assumed the Lannister army went home after that. Did they get sent up again after Frey was killed? That reminds me, the Tullys are no fans of the Lannisters either. They might come on board
    Edmund Tully was in the Frey Dungeon, Kings Landing or liberated at Castiley Rock... regardless, his infant/young son is now Lord Frey and his wife is likely regent. This puts the Twins under the control of a Tully. The Lannisters are occupying the Riverlands with a mixed forced of Lannister regulars and Frey bannermen. They have been fighting a bloody insurgency and trying to deal with a massive pack of wolves that has been hunting men.

Comment

That all makes sense, but the makers of the show stuffed it up a bit by showing a group using bow & arrow. Not really a 'death or glory' weapon. Didn't spoil the scene, just a curio.

I can see how a combination of Unsullied infantry & Dothraki cavalry would be damned near unstoppable, even without dragons. Westeros seems to be running out of armies. Stannis, the Tyrells & most of the Lannisters gone. The Tullys beaten and only 10,000 men in the North. Seems like only the Knights of the Vale and the Dorne are in much shape. Interesting.

Looking forward to how all this resolves.
      The 10,000 men in the North includes the expeditionary strength of the Knights of the Vale and the remnant of the Free Folk. There are probably only 2-3000 actual Northmen left under arms. Even Sansa's guards are bottom on the barrel scrapings whose main training for war appears to have been milking cows or fish mongering. The North is out of men. The only they they have going for them is unlike the Reach (with the exception of Winterfell), no one has been taking the harvest. Granted, no one has been harvesting it either, but the North remembers and has the best stock piles for winter. Eddard Stark hasn't been dead long enough to burn through his life long preparations.

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
        40,000 is a conservative estimate based ion Robert Baratheon's prediction to Cersi before he died. It also aligns with the books. Her fleet is shown making one crossing, but not only one crossing. Given season 7's skipping of the journeys and going straight to the good parts, a good deal of time has passed since she landed on Dragon Stone.
        I didn't assume all the Dothraki came with her

You'd think she'd want the Dornish, but there is a problem of the Iron Fleet between them and her.
        The Dornish can't march north by land?

Edmund Tully was in the Frey Dungeon, Kings Landing or liberated at Castiley Rock... regardless, his infant/young son is now Lord Frey and his wife is likely regent. This puts the Twins under the control of a Tully. The Lannisters are occupying the Riverlands with a mixed forced of Lannister regulars and Frey bannermen. They have been fighting a bloody insurgency and trying to deal with a massive pack of wolves that has been hunting men.
        Have we been told any of this in the TV show? If its just from the books we can't assume the same thing is happening.
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Originally posted by SteveDaPirate View Post
          The real target that needs to get hit with dragonfire is Euron's fleet. Taking away the opposition's strategic mobility has got to be a priority. Particularly when his fleet seems to be capable of teleportation...

When Dany dispatched two fleets to the south in Episode 3, Euron was apparently in position to intercept the Ironborn bound for Dorne (but somehow missed the Unsullied?). I don't have any issues with that, but when he is able to sail back north to King's Landing for ceremonies and witty commentary, then turn around and head south once again and somehow catch the Unsullied at the same time as they arrived at Casterly Rock? The Unsullied ships had a half continent head start at that point!

I initially thought that Euron must have divided his fleet and sent a raven with orders to ambush Casterly Rock to a contingent on the west coast, but his flagship was present at both fights...
          Euron has the dragon binder horn in the books so.... Losing the Iron Fleet is game over for Cersi, but that battle might not go Dany's way. Based on Theon's arrival on Dragonstone, we may see Dany invade the Iron Islands to rescue Yara and try and bait Euron.

Comment

I didn't assume all the Dothraki came with her

The Dornish can't march north by land?

Have we been told any of this in the TV show? If its just from the books we can't assume the same thing is happening.
            Jamie's promise to Edmund Tully to end the Blackfishes holdout at Riverrun. We know he has a son, so even if jamie lied, a Tully/Frey child is now Lord Frey.

Comment

Jamie's promise to Edmund Tully to end the Blackfishes holdout at Riverrun.
              Happened last season, so why would the Lannister army still be there, especially with the threat from the Tyrells & the Dornish?
              sigpic

Comment

Happened last season, so why would the Lannister army still be there, especially with the threat from the Tyrells & the Dornish?
                Because Arya encountered a Lannister occupation patrol in the Riverlands this season (Ed Sheeran's cameo).

Comment

Because Arya encountered a Lannister occupation patrol in the Riverlands this season (Ed Sheeran's cameo).
                  Ah. Gotcha. I was distracted by how ugly he is.
                  sigpic

Comment

Like the other penultimate episodes of the season, the next and as-yet untitled episode 66 is looking up to be the battle they pull out all the stops. I don't believe all of the characters walking out through the portcullis and into the snow drift are coming back, which is too bad. Still, there are less noble ways to go on Game of Thrones.

Ref: Dornish. They are separated from the mainland with a strait, which Euron had closed with his maritime raiders. Their forces took heavy losses from Euron's attack and Dorn's leading house, the Martels, is extirpated. It's an ignominious end for a power we heard so much about, but the producers gotta close the storyline.
                    Last edited by Triple C; 14 Aug 17,, 09:43.
                    All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.
                    -Talmud Kohelet Rabbah, 7:16.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                      Ref: Dornish. They are separated from the mainland with a strait, which Euron had closed with his maritime raiders. Their forces took heavy losses from Euron's attack and Dorn's leading house, the Martels, is extirpated. It's an ignominious end for a power we heard so much about, but the producers gotta close the storyline.
                      Are you sure about this? I'm relying on the maps online, but it looks like they could march an army north if they wanted to. That may not be feasible and they may not wish to get involved now, but it doesn't look to me like they need ships to get there.
                      sigpic

Comment

Am I sure about this? Nope! I am pretty sure I just got stuff mixed up. Although... they are probably in no condition to fight.
                        All those who are merciful with the cruel will come to be cruel to the merciful.

Comment

Originally posted by Triple C View Post
                          Am I sure about this? Nope! I am pretty sure I just got stuff mixed up. Although... they are probably in no condition to fight.
                          Fair enough. Always respect a man who can admit he's unsure. :-) I agree that they don't seem likely to reappear in the narrative.
                          sigpic

Comment

Fair enough. Always respect a man who can admit he's unsure. :-) I agree that they don't seem likely to reappear in the narrative.
                            Other than last night revealing that Jon Snow is actually Jon Targaryan it was one of the worst episodes of all time. The acting was stilted and rushed and full of holes.

Comment

I mean the episode after tonight's.

Comment

Other than last night revealing that Jon Snow is actually Jon Targaryan it was one of the worst episodes of all time. The acting was stilted and rushed and full of holes.
                                I thought it was better than the first 2 eps this season, tbh. This season has been very much on the nose and rushed the entire time. Some of the rushing I think is okay (Casterly Rock/Highgarden was epic, IMO, even if only 5 minutes), but there's not a lot of intrigue that defines character opposition in prior seasons. At least IMO. Arya/LF...I mean, LF literally skulking in the corner? Kind of comic book villainy and less GOT-y.
                                "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

Working...
                                X