US plan to improve Afghan intelligence operations branded a $457m failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taliban siege in remote Afghan province kills 12 more troops

KABUL, Afghanistan (AP) — The Taliban besieged an Afghan government and army compound in a remote western province for a second day Friday, killing at least 12 more troops, according to local officials who issued a dramatic warning, saying those inside the compound were running out of ammunition.

The latest fatalities brought the overall death toll for the assault in Badghis province to at least 32 Afghan soldiers and policemen. Many more have been wounded and the area is cut off, said Mohammad Nasir Nazari, a provincial councilmember.

Nazari said that according to soldiers inside the base in the district of Bala Murghab, roughly 2,000 Taliban fighters are involved in the attack, with about 600 Afghan troops and members of the security forces inside.

“They are running out of everything — ammunition, water and food,” said Nazari.

Abdul Waris Sherzad, a district chief, said local officials and residents were disappointed that NATO forces and the Afghan government have not helped.

But Defense Ministry spokesman Qais Mangal denied that, saying reinforcements and supplies have been airlifted to Badghis the previous day and that more would be dispatched on Friday.

The brazen Taliban attack first began before dawn on Thursday, when the insurgents stormed all the security posts around the government compound and killed at least 20 soldiers and policemen. Fighting continued throughout the day and overnight and into Friday, Nazari said. Taliban spokesman Qari Yousf Ahmadi claimed responsibility for the attack in a statement sent to the media.

It was the latest attack by the Taliban who target Afghan forces on a daily basis even as they hold talks with U.S. peace envoy Zalmay Khalilzad.

Khalilzad was in Islamabad on Friday and met with Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi and other Pakistani officials. He had visited Kabul earlier this week where he lobbied for “intra-Afghan dialogue” — talks that would encompass prominent Afghan figures, government representatives and the opposition, as well as the Taliban.

According to the foreign ministry, Qureshi assured Khalilzad of Islamabad’s continued support for the ongoing Afghan peace process.

Khalilzad has held several rounds of talks with the Taliban, most recently last month in Qatar where both sides said progress has been made. But despite the talks, the Taliban still inflict staggering casualties on Afghan forces and now hold sway over half of the country. The insurgents refuse to talk directly with the government in Kabul, considering it a U.S. puppet.

Washington wants Islamabad to encourage the Taliban to hold direct talks with Kabul but the insurgents have shown no flexibility on that stance.

Khalilzad was also to meet with Pakistani Prime Minister Imran Khan who last month stirred controversy by calling for the formation of an interim Afghan government with the Taliban. It angered Kabul, which recalled its envoy temporarily in protest, but Islamabad later said that Khan had been misquoted.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Fugitive Taliban leader Mullah Omar 'lived close to US bases', this is contradicted in the video below @ 10:37

Taliban Harry Potter :D
      Last edited by Oracle; 05 Apr 19,, 19:23.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
        Fugitive Taliban leader Mullah Omar 'lived close to US bases', this is contradicted in the video below @ 10:37

Taliban Harry Potter :D
        The US has lost Afghanistan Oracle. They know it and so does Russia and China. As with Syria and Iraq, another country chooses to align with the other side and against the US.

Comment

• Originally posted by montgomery View Post
          The US has lost Afghanistan Oracle. They know it and so does Russia and China. As with Syria and Iraq, another country chooses to align with the other side and against the US.
          What you're telling me now, this board knew it since 2004. And people here have acknowledged it, including American military guys. Read the whole thread first, before you jump in between and throw your arguments.

Comment

What you're telling me now, this board knew it since 2004. And people here have acknowledged it, including American military guys. Read the whole thread first, before you jump in between and throw your arguments.
            I've grown to like you best Oracle because I think you were speaking your subconscious mind when you proclaimed the US to be evil. And now you demonstrate your carelessness by agreeing with me that Afghanistan is falling into the hands of the enemy, Russia and China.

Although I would have to say that WABS is a close runner-up with me on account of his babbling demonstrations of senility. Sad that! Continue to humour and patronize him though, he likely deserves that much.

Comment

I've grown to like you best Oracle because I think you were speaking your subconscious mind when you proclaimed the US to be evil. And now you demonstrate your carelessness by agreeing with me that Afghanistan is falling into the hands of the enemy, Russia and China.

Although I would have to say that WABS is a close runner-up with me on account of his babbling demonstrations of senility. Sad that! Continue to humour and patronize him though, he likely deserves that much.
              Agreeing that Afghanistan is falling into the hands of Russia and China? I don't remember, can you point it out?

Afghans are proud people, nobody can own them. The Soviets learnt this the hard way, fragmenting into Russia & CAR. Americans understood this with the help of their ex-ally Pakistan, China doesn't want to repeat this mistake. I'm hard pressed thinking if you can differentiate between a donkey and a zebra. A donkey has stripes, if you witnessed one.

Comment

Agreeing that Afghanistan is falling into the hands of Russia and China? I don't remember, can you point it out?

Afghans are proud people, nobody can own them. The Soviets learnt this the hard way, fragmenting into Russia & CAR. Americans understood this with the help of their ex-ally Pakistan, China doesn't want to repeat this mistake. I'm hard pressed thinking if you can differentiate between a donkey and a zebra. A donkey has stripes, if you witnessed one.
                The Afghans are likely as proud as any people, but you're off track in saying that. You need to say and understand that the Taliban are religious fanatics who choose to ride a horse up to see Allah and the virgins, (probably more likely than sprouting wings on your back) and are anxious to die.

As you suggest, Russia learned the hard way, and so Russia and China won't repeat that mistake. I'm imagining a scenario somewhat similar to Syria in which Russia is welcomed with open arms. Such are the fruits of US aggression.

Are you somewhere between the age of 18 and 25? Your pathetic and childish attempts at insulting others with donkeys and zebras?

Comment

The Afghans are likely as proud as any people, but you're off track in saying that. You need to say and understand that the Taliban are religious fanatics who choose to ride a horse up to see Allah and the virgins, (probably more likely than sprouting wings on your back) and are anxious to die.

As you suggest, Russia learned the hard way, and so Russia and China won't repeat that mistake. I'm imagining a scenario somewhat similar to Syria in which Russia is welcomed with open arms. Such are the fruits of US aggression.

Are you somewhere between the age of 18 and 25? Your pathetic and childish attempts at insulting others with donkeys and zebras?
                  Side-stepping won't help. Agreeing that Afghanistan is falling into the hands of Russia and China? I don't remember, can you point it out?

Comment

Side-stepping won't help. Agreeing that Afghanistan is falling into the hands of Russia and China? I don't remember, can you point it out?
                    You won't like the link but at least I can tell you that's not captain kangaroo in the center of the picture.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/01/31...n-peace-talks/

Comment

You won't like the link but at least I can tell you that's not captain kangaroo in the center of the picture.

https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/01/31...n-peace-talks/
                      So, you will sit all day in your mommy's couch and post propaganda articles, while sometimes quote foreignpolicy and make your own assumptions. Right.

In brief - Russia wants in because they are afraid of terrorism pouring over the CAR from Af-Pak. China is afraid of terrorists pouring over from Af-Pak into Xinjiang. US will still keep some special forces to train the ANA, while it withdraws troops. That is the current plan.

Btw, you know who wrote that article? Lara Seligman. Since you like DE, ask him about her credibility. Lara Seligman doesn't know 1% of the things people in here know. For example, the Colonel. Yes, the Colonel.

Now, Agreeing that Afghanistan is falling into the hands of Russia and China? I don't remember, can you point it out? If you don't reply this time - you won't have any answers from me, you'll fall in the category of liars (mind you this is not the first time you have lied). You already have the distinction of a motivated propagandist. So, it's either goodbye, or you answer. Comprende comrade?

Comment

• Old but gold.

Comment

• ^Newer and up to date

‘Pakistan using Taliban to influence Kabul’: Afghan vice presidential candidate Amrullah Saleh | HT | Mar 31 2019

Pakistan is stuck with the classic idea of strategic depth. They can pursue a legitimate policy for gaining strategic depth which will only come through strong economic links.

A policy to gain strategic depth through militancy and violence is truly odd and won’t work. Pakistan must realize that it can’t be a mini imperial power. It lacks all the necessary means to pursue such a strategy. A blueprint of strategic depth relying on bloodshed, violence, terrorism and blackmail won’t materialize. It is a waste of time and resources and we hope they wake up and stop it.
                          I believe the whole infrastructure of the terrorism which breeds and operates out of Pakistan is a virulent arm of the ISI. Either we convince Pakistan to delink itself from them, which is next to impossible, or we work together to cut this venomous arm.
                          I don’t see the logic (why the) US should withdraw and negotiate its withdrawal with a terror group. Their presence will evolve and it will have a different shape, different scope, different aim but they won’t leave. We should therefore not be panicked based on hypotheses. Words matter and some words have been badly used. There is no withdrawal. There is one globe, one Afghanistan and one US. Where will they go?

Comment

• Why are some journalists coming up with assumptions/theories that seem to be the opposite of what the agencies know. For e.g., Lara Seligman, Bette Dam, then there is another dude whose citizenship is Aussie or American. There are some more, but these are names I remember right now.
                            Last edited by Oracle; 15 Apr 19,, 19:14.

Comment

• Trump wants something to present within a year before the elections in the US.

Until such time there is plenty of scope for any theory : )

Comment

• Trump asked what India was doing about Afghanistan.

I'ts a good question and hope it does not come back to haunt us.

Trump means why is India playing such a low key role like watching from the sidelines in a process that will determine what happens to Afghanistan

Isn't there anything we can do to influence things there ?

At the same time the question is surprising for India because right at the beginning the Americans told us to keep away at the risk of upsetting the Paks.
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 14 Jun 19,, 06:48.

Comment

Working...
                                X