US plan to improve Afghan intelligence operations branded a $457m failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pakistan consulate in Jalalabad to resume operations from tomorrow

Very good. More Pak terrorist actions now.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• US urges Pakistan to ensure Taliban cut link with Afghan cadres
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• India, China launch joint training for Afghanistan, plan more projects

Comment

• Often it is repeated that economic stability of Pakistan is important. A panelist at a talk tried to unpack what it means. Nothing to do with mad mullahs running around with nukes. More mundane.

- If Pakistan is facing economic chaos will they be able to allow materiel to flow to Afghanistan. In a situation like that domestic policy matters more for the Paks than foreign policy. If the route through Pakistan is to remain viable then less economic chaos is better.

- Pakistan is a rent seeking state. The US would like to get out of that orbit. To not be the lender of first, middle and last resort. Each time the US has to bail the Paks out means it cannot get out of aiding and abetting this rent seeking behaviour. Every time the US does bail them out means the Paks do not enact changes that will prevent the next bailout.

- A civilian govt is preferred. Each time Pakistan has faced a crisis, either political or constitutional, the military has taken over on the pretext of economic instability. Less economic instability, less coups.

- With donors come values. If the US pulls out of helping the Paks, the Chinese will take over and this means the Chinese way becomes the Pak way

- People always believe with more prosperity there will be less terrorism & militancy. But this is a myth.

- India doesn't want a basket case on its border. We can't handle the refugees. If you think its tricky keeping militants out try doing it with desperate civvies. We can't ask the Paks to build a wall. Just see how well we have done with the Banglas.
          Last edited by Double Edge; 19 Oct 18,, 14:54.

Comment

• US to press Pakistan for shift in Afghan policy: official

Apart from the usual Pakistan do more to rein in terrorists, this also has this -
            The second most serious concern for US policy makers, according to him, is Pakistan’s strategic weapons.

He said the Trump administration had expressed its concern about Pakistan’s development of long- and short-range missile launch capabilities and its growing nuclear stockpile.

Comment

• Afghan Govt Blindsided In Peace Process: NYT Report

‘Khalilzad Can’t Talk To Taliban On Behalf of Afghans’ - Saleh

Now this, Analysts Say Raziq’s Assassination Was Plotted In Pakistan

Comment

• Pompeo hopes Pakistan will achieve goals set-out by US

“Our expectation is that Pakistan will not provide safe harbour to terrorists on their western border. Pakistan will be held accountable if they do not achieve that, if they are not sincere in that effort.”
                The US secretary of state stressed that everyone wanted reconciliation in Afghanistan but “to achieve that goal, there can be no safe harbour for the Taliban or the Haqqani network”.

Comment

• Gulf states join US in designating nine Taliban as terrorists

New US-led sanctions target Iran-Taliban ties

The UN lifted sanctions on the Taliban in 2010. How does that help?

Comment

• Pakistan rejects Afghanistan's 'baseless' allegations on Kandahar attack

Same script, same reading. Don't these buggers ever get tired.

Comment

• Saudis offer Pakistan $6 billion rescue package to ease economic crisis | Reuters | Oct 23 2018

What price will the Paks be paying for this Saudi loan ?

One advantage is less is required from the IMF now. This has a direct bearing on the PA. Because the IMF will demand cutting down the defense budget which means the PA's share of Pak budget reduces.

Pompeo saying the US tax payer will not be used to service Chinese debt amounts to imposing a tax on the PA. It's hitting the PA right in the pocket.
                      Last edited by Double Edge; 25 Oct 18,, 02:08.

Comment

• /\/\/\ No strings attached with Saudi package: Qureshi

Considering how frequently they lie, I'm not buying it.

Comment

• I guess those foot soldiers and security guards will be increasingly sourced from Pakistan now. They tend not to acknowledge their dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                            I guess those foot soldiers and security guards will be increasingly sourced from Pakistan now. They tend not to acknowledge their dead.
                            You mean, mercenaries. Yep, this is most likely the case, as always. Rent seeking state.

Comment

• Islamabad dismisses Pompeo's statement

Dismissing the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo’s statement that Washington will hold Islamabad accountable if it did not act decisively against terrorists, the Foreign Office insisted that no country could exert pressure on Pakistan for “something which we believe is in our own interest”.
                              Hahahahahahaha.....terrorism is in Pakistan's national interest. LOL!

Comment

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
                                You mean, mercenaries. Yep, this is most likely the case, as always. Rent seeking state.
                                That and some chances to instigate trouble for Iran in Sistan from Pakistan. All hush hush of course.

Qureshi's covered this one too

Comment

Working...
                                X