Page 35 of 35 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132333435

Thread: US plan to improve Afghan intelligence operations branded a $457m failure

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Name:  f the ISI.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  91.5 KB

DE, I understand that the American administration will always do things that are in their national interests, the way India does. I am not happy, but I take back my words.

How many Americans have died on 9/11? How many American/NATO soldiers died in Afghanistan? To me it is black and white. Blood for blood. Trump said he can quickly end the Afghan war by killing 10 million Afghans. If he ever makes a decision to use nukes, those should be on PA installations.

Wait, did Trump actually say this to Im the Dim and his cohorts in private? What did Bajwa make of Trump nuking Afghanistan? That the fickle minded President could change his mind at the last minute and ask for co-ordinates to be changed to a new target in the neighbourhood?
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles!

Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain!

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Name:  f the ISI.JPG
Views: 45
Size:  91.5 KB
    If the ANA were better trained and well-equipped, they would have used the skull of PA soldiers as a chalice to quench their thirst.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles!

Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain!

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Wait, did Trump actually say this to Im the Dim and his cohorts in private? What did Bajwa make of Trump nuking Afghanistan? That the fickle minded President could change his mind at the last minute and ask for co-ordinates to be changed to a new target in the neighbourhood?
    I don't know why he said that. Why threaten to nuke Afghanistan at all. It's like he's saying had he been in charge in 2001 then he'd have sorted things out better and faster than previous presidents. That the US would not still be there nineteen years later. There is also a sense of impatience that he wants this sorted out and soon. The tentative deadline from what i can tell is September 1. The Afghans go to the polls at the end of that month.

All we can do is wildly speculate that what is said in public could sharply deviate from what is said in private.

Imran has shown that he can be calm and put on a brave face even smile in the face of adversity.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 27 Jul 19, at 14:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    I don't know why he said that. Why threaten to nuke Afghanistan at all. It's like he's saying had he been in charge in 2001 then he'd have sorted things out better and faster than previous presidents. That the US would not still be there nineteen years later. There is also a sense of impatience that he wants this sorted out and soon. The tentative deadline from what i can tell is September 1. The Afghans go to the polls at the end of that month.

All we can do is wildly speculate that what is said in public could sharply deviate from what is said in private.

Imran has shown that he can be calm and put on a brave face even smile in the face of adversity.
    US reopens aid tap for Pakistan

$125 million is peanuts and that too going to american contractors to help service their F16's

Let's see what more turns up

Bastards tried to target Amrullah

Ashraf Ghani's running-mate wounded in Kabul blast as Afghan election campaign begins | Telegraph | Jul 28 2019

Ben Farmer, islamabad
    28 JULY 2019 • 3:04PM

Attackers blew up and then stormed the political office of Amrullah Saleh, a former Afghan spy chief turned politician who is now the running mate of Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.

At least one person was killed and 13 wounded when the blast hit the office in central Kabul on the first day of campaigning for presidential elections in September.

Mr Saleh was lightly wounded by shrapnel and then evacuated from the office by his bodyguards. Photographs shared on social media showed him surrounded by bodyguards and with a small injury to his right arm.

Mr Ghani said: "My brother, true son of the Afghan soil and first vice president candidate of my electoral team, Amrullah Saleh, has survived a complex attack by enemies of the state. We are relieved and thank the almighty that attack has failed."

Mr Saleh has been a vociferous opponent of the Taliban and Pakistan, and led Afghanistan's NDS intelligence agency before joining politics with the Green Trend movement.

"At around 4:40 pm (1210 GMT), first a blast occurred near Green Trend office... then a number of attackers entered that office," interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi told AFP.

Several civilians were killed in the attack near a busy intersection in the capital.

Mr Saleh holds strong political support among the country's Tajik minority. He led Afghanistan's National Directorate of Security until 2010, maintaining a network of paramilitary forces, spies, prisons and commandos which America and Britain considered one of the most reliable arms of the Afghan state.

Bastards tried to target Amrullah

Ashraf Ghani's running-mate wounded in Kabul blast as Afghan election campaign begins | Telegraph | Jul 28 2019

Ben Farmer, islamabad
    28 JULY 2019 • 3:04PM

Attackers blew up and then stormed the political office of Amrullah Saleh, a former Afghan spy chief turned politician who is now the running mate of Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.

At least one person was killed and 13 wounded when the blast hit the office in central Kabul on the first day of campaigning for presidential elections in September.

Mr Saleh was lightly wounded by shrapnel and then evacuated from the office by his bodyguards. Photographs shared on social media showed him surrounded by bodyguards and with a small injury to his right arm.

Mr Ghani said: "My brother, true son of the Afghan soil and first vice president candidate of my electoral team, Amrullah Saleh, has survived a complex attack by enemies of the state. We are relieved and thank the almighty that attack has failed."

Mr Saleh has been a vociferous opponent of the Taliban and Pakistan, and led Afghanistan's NDS intelligence agency before joining politics with the Green Trend movement.

"At around 4:40 pm (1210 GMT), first a blast occurred near Green Trend office... then a number of attackers entered that office," interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi told AFP.

Several civilians were killed in the attack near a busy intersection in the capital.

Mr Saleh holds strong political support among the country's Tajik minority. He led Afghanistan's National Directorate of Security until 2010, maintaining a network of paramilitary forces, spies, prisons and commandos which America and Britain considered one of the most reliable arms of the Afghan state.

DE, I understand that the American administration will always do things that are in their national interests, the way India does. I am not happy, but I take back my words.

How many Americans have died on 9/11? How many American/NATO soldiers died in Afghanistan? To me it is black and white. Blood for blood. Trump said he can quickly end the Afghan war by killing 10 million Afghans. If he ever makes a decision to use nukes, those should be on PA installations.

Difference between a peace deal in Afghanistan vs withdrawal deal with the Taliban

Trump promised Americans he will make them win again, but a bad Afghan deal won’t help | The Print | Jul 31 2019

Trump had promised Americans that he will make them win again. A flawed deal that does not result in peace and is projected by the Taliban as an American defeat would hardly be a win for America. The US would look better if the Taliban are chastened by the prospect of losing their Pakistani safe haven and the Afghan government that is America’s ally has a key role in negotiations.

Chirstine's latest is a somber affair

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/news-a...es-afghanistan

Her argument is logistics. As she has maintained for years now. The fight was lost as early as 2001 when the americans with only one way in failed to realise the Paks would work against them. Course this begs the question then what should the Americans have done after the Taliban refused to surrender OBL without proof.

She says Trump for the sake of re-election has no qualms throwing the Afghans under the bus, running them over a couple of times and leaving them to their own devices. This will mean an entire generation that grew up hearing western ideas will be forgotten.

Pulling troops out means Congress has less incentive to write checks. The Afghan govt was not setup to be self sustaining and costs more than it generates.

No checks, govt falls, Taliban takes over, just like in 1996 ?

Najibullah continued a good four years after the Soviets collapsed. I don't think the Americans will cut the plug so suddenly. But when it happens its likely the Afghans will enter the next phase in their never ending civil war. A position the board has maintained after Obama also announced he was pulling out of Afghanistan.

Chirstine's latest is a somber affair

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/news-a...es-afghanistan

Her argument is logistics. As she has maintained for years now. The fight was lost as early as 2001 when the americans with only one way in failed to realise the Paks would work against them. Course this begs the question then what should the Americans have done post 9/11 and after the Taliban refused to surrender OBL without proof.

She says Trump for the sake of re-election has no qualms throwing the Afghans under the bus, running them over a couple of times and leaving them to their own devices. This means an entire generation that grew up hearing western ideas will be sacrificed.

Pulling troops out means Congress has less incentive to write checks. The Afghan govt was not setup to be self sustaining and costs more than it generates. Letting people go from the ministry of interior means they join the other side or grow opium poppies.

No checks, govt falls, Taliban takes over, just like in 1996 ?

Najibullah continued a good four years after the Soviets collapsed. I don't think the Americans will pull the plug so suddenly. But when it happens its likely the Afghans will enter the next phase in their never ending civil war. A position the board has maintained since Obama also announced he was pulling out of Afghanistan.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 13 Aug 19, at 21:29.

Thread Information