Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How would they scrap the North Carolina?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How would they scrap the North Carolina?

Not that I'm suggesting it, but since the Navy threatened to take possession and dispose of her if the folks in Wilmington couldn't bring the hull repairs under control, what would they have done?

She's supposedly stuck in the mud and too frail even to make the tow to a drydock. Would they scrap her on site? Or haul her away in pieces on barges? I'd think environmentally that would be a total non-starter.

They should have towed the damn ship up to Norfolk like they originally planned to. That's what the original fundraising campaign was for...they had more than enough money, but then the Alabama got her cofferdam and someone got in the ear of the Wilmington folks and they started changing their tune.

As far as scrapping....don't know. I guess they could have made temporary repairs and towed her somewhere for scrapping, but I can't see how that would have been allowed. Someone would have come up with the cash before that happened.

Comment

Pacfanweb wrote:
      They should have towed the damn ship up to Norfolk like they originally planned to. That's what the original fundraising campaign was for...they had more than enough money, but then the Alabama got her cofferdam and someone got in the ear of the Wilmington folks and they started changing their tune.

As far as scrapping....don't know. I guess they could have made temporary repairs and towed her somewhere for scrapping, but I can't see how that would have been allowed. Someone would have come up with the cash before that happened.[/
      It's distressing to see our state's namesake slowly rusting away when it COULD have been maintained all along if the politics had been kept out of the mix. NC has long suffered from electing the wrong people to office for the wrong reasons and then wondering why nothing gets done. Unfortunately this extends to the NC Battleship Commission which, IMHO, has never had the interest, intellect, or ambition to take their jobs seriously. Why? It's mostly a political gift and not based on anyone's interest or understanding of ship maintenance or upkeep - only "what do we HAVE to do to make it look pretty?". I think, to a certain extent, the same problems are present in various other museum ship organizations around the country. Those "in charge" are only interested in what it can pay back and make them look good.

I thank AP88 for bringing up this question - it IS relevant and in light of the current situation with NOT being able to move the ship, what would the Navy do?

Just my two cents worth...
      Last edited by bbvet; 14 Jul 17,, 09:49.

Comment

I seem to remember hearing that the Cape Fear Memorial bridge keeps her from leaving Wilmington. Built after the Showboat came to town. Doesn't raise high enough for her to pass under.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
          I seem to remember hearing that the Cape Fear Memorial bridge keeps her from leaving Wilmington. Built after the Showboat came to town. Doesn't raise high enough for her to pass under.
          That's correct - there may now be other obstacles across the CFR that would also prevent her passage. Things change, places change, and those in charge seem to never keep up with what's going on in their own back yard. And the citizen ends up paying the price for those omissions one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
            There is 135' of clearance under the bridge. Is the Showboat that tall? I was thinking she was somewhere in the 120' range?

Comment

From the Showboat's website.

Q: With construction of the cofferdam are there provisions being made to be able to get the Ship out of the cofferdam and into the river if necessary? Such as locks or doors on the end of the cofferdam?

A: Unfortunately, the Battleship’s condition prevents her from leaving her berth, however, the cofferdam will be equipped with 4 Weir Slide Gates that will open and close so that water can be pumped in and back out of the inner area.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacfanweb View Post
                There is 135' of clearance under the bridge. Is the Showboat that tall? I was thinking she was somewhere in the 120' range?
                Could cut the mast like the Iowa, not ideal buttt. Wait I thought that bridge lifted up? Maybe I'm mistaken. Still she needs a real drydock. Bill Gates is my long lost cousin 42 times removed so when he gives me like $1B I'll sponsor these ships lol.
                RIP Charles "Bob" Spence. 1936-2014.

Comment

I think that clearance is with the bridge raised

Comment

Working...
                  X