Border face-off: China and India each deploy 3,000 troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Oracle View Post
    We did not. Those places are on Indian maps since 1905, when maps were issued, and Nepal knows that since then. It's at the behest of China.

Kalapani is where Nepal/Indian/Chinese borders meet. Even if that area is Nepal's, should we give it to Nepal (?), so that the communist government in Nepal gifts it to China? Slice and dice. Sorry, Nepal, NO.

Just give Nepalese people living in India 24 hours to move back to Nepal, and see if China accepts them in their territory. Being soft is what gave these clowns sitting on our periphery such troll ideas. Respect needs to be created with force in geo-politics.
    I figured if these people want to do a swap we can accomodate them in other areas but anything strategic as you mentioned isn't on the table.

Some of the people i interacted with were hinting at taking India to the ICJ over this. I don't beleive that will happen.

We've cracked the whip on them twice, in '88 with Rajiv and in 2015 with Modi. They call it an economic blockade. We do not.

Blockade involves using the military. No military was used. But road traffic was halted and caused shortages.

Soft economic coercion if you want to call it that.

Testy relationship with this lot and has been that way since the 60's.

I frequently tell these people to be like Bhutan. A small state managed to develop Hydro and gets a good return on it.

But that does not work with Nepal, they seem to think we're perpetually short changing them.

The hydro potential in Nepal is many fold but attempts to develop hydro got no where in the early 2000's.

At some point we were giving them free electricty at the expense of our own instead of it being the other way around.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 20 May 20,, 13:48.

Comment

• It's amusing they accuse us of what we accuse them of. They're taking note of our activities these days so with this new army chief they are going to get the pushback they deserve. I think after Doklam this was always going to be the new norm.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
        I figured if these people want to do a swap we can accomodate them in other areas but anything strategic as you mentioned isn't on the table.

Some of the people i interacted with were hinting at taking India to the ICJ over this. I don't beleive that will happen.

We've cracked the whip on them twice, in '88 with Rajiv and in 2015 with Modi. They call it an economic blockade. We do not.

Blockade involves using the military. No military was used. But road traffic was halted and caused shortages.

Soft economic coercion if you want to call it that.

Testy relationship with this lot and has been that way since the 60's.

I frequently tell these people to be like Bhutan. A small state managed to develop Hydro and gets a good return on it.

But that does not work with Nepal, they seem to think we're perpetually short changing them.

The hydro potential in Nepal is many fold but attempts to develop hydro got no where in the early 2000's.

At some point we were giving them free electricty at the expense of our own instead of it being the other way around.
        I knew Nepal would go the SLanka way back in the 2000s after the royal family massacre. We should have done something about it then. Now, we can only apply soft force. A communist state on our right shoulder. Don't think it is comforting stalwarts of South Block. It's a ritual, kind of, that IA Chief visits Nepal within the first 3 months of assuming office. I guess China and Covid-19 has kept him busy. Nepalese also serve in the IA, btw.

Nepal is hedging its bets between India & China. But linkages - civilizational, cultural, economical, defense are all solidly with India. Time to use a diplomatic stick to make them stay in line.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Is Aksai Chin Chinese territory? Don't think so.
          This is what it looks like
          Attached Files

Comment

• Indian coronavirus more lethal than Chinese: Nepal PM K P Sharma Oli

This coming from the head of Nepal says much about the hate they have for India. Pathetic freeloaders.

India reacts sharply to Nepal releasing new map; calls it unjustified cartographic assertion

Nope. Not giving into the demands of a puny neighbour.
            Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

• Military, diplomatic talks on with China to end stand-off

US slams China’s ‘disturbing behaviour’ at India border

China hindering normal patrolling along LAC: Govt
              Last edited by Oracle; 21 May 20,, 14:23.

Comment

Indian coronavirus more lethal than Chinese: Nepal PM K P Sharma Oli

This coming from the head of Nepal says much about the hate they have for India. Pathetic freeloaders.
                This is one way to beg for testing kits i guess.

A section of experts attributed Oli’s comments to Nepal’s internal power struggle and attempts by Oli to consolidate his position by displaying nationalism.
                Been suspecting this for a while now, these comments are just for internal consumption.

Like Mahatir who was gone few months after he decided to challenge CAA.

For now it remains only rhetoric, whether there are any actions to come.

If he does that he is going to plunge India-Nepal relations to a low that his successor will struggle to get out of.

Why India-Nepal ties are likely to worsen | ORF | Dec 19 2017

Manoj called it over two years ago. Oli got into office on anti-india rhetoric.

We need to somehow make this guy fail so this India bashing thing does not become an election plank there.

How the heck are commies still in charge of Nepal ? that alone is friction in itself.

Is it any wonder that economic initiatives never seem to take off in that place.

All of this is distracting from their economic woes isn't it.

I keep seeing comments online that India needs to be big hearted and just ignore all of this.

I think its better to make them discover just how good a relationship with China can be.
                Last edited by Double Edge; 23 May 20,, 13:23.

Comment

• Chinese bunker in finger area, Galwan build-up raise concern

Comment

• Originally posted by Nitin
                    3:04 Last year, a road between Darbuk Shyok, which is the last inhabited village in the area and goes right up to DBO was completed after 15 years attempt to bridge the fast flowing and violent Shyok river.

This road has allowed India to deploy an additional brigade (nearly 3k troops) in the area of DBO, Galvan and the depsang plains which China does not like.

Therefore China has started objecting to any infrastructure work that India does in the area.

This time, on May 9th & 10th, India started building a feeder road near the Galvan valley where Galvan & Shyok rivers meet. This road construction was objected to by China and Chinese troops came across the LOAC to aggressively stop India's road building activity.
                    Last edited by Double Edge; 24 May 20,, 10:43.

Comment

• Tension mounts in Ladakh as China brings in more troops; India maintains aggressive posturing

China's aggression at border & Nepal’s new maps are not coincidental

Comment

• India to continue border activities in Ladakh as standoff with China heads for long haul

LAC remains tense, satellite images show China’s troop buildup
                        Last edited by Oracle; 25 May 20,, 13:47.

Comment

• China's high altitude unmanned helicopter drone for Tibet makes maiden test flight: Report

So China too remains worried. Good.

Comment

• Why do so many Indians call it the McMohan line ? there was never any McMohan, the line was named after Henry McMAHON, the British colonial administrator who proposed it at the 1914 Simla Convention signed between British and Tibetan representatives. It extends into Burma too. Now the Chinese accept this line in Burma but not the part in India which is one of many inconsistencies with their position.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mc mohan mahon_r.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1478954

Nitin corrected the mistake promptly after it was pointed out.
                            Last edited by Double Edge; 26 May 20,, 12:04.

Comment

• That road to DBO that Nitin was referring to.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DBO road.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	459.0 KB
ID:	1478955

Older map(pdf) dating to 1992 from the Pentagon of the Chushul area

Glancing around we see the terse warning, Aircraft infringing upon Non-Free Flying territory may be fired on without warning
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 26 May 20,, 12:29.

Comment

• India has to defend the status quo (again)

India won’t allow change of status quo on Line of Actual Control: Officials | HT | May 26 2020

Modi met National Security Adviser Ajit Doval, Chief of Defence Staff Gen Bipin Rawat and the three service chiefs to assess the situation along the LAC amid a tense standoff between thousands of Indian and Chinese troops, especially Galwan Valley and Pangong Lake in eastern Ladakh.

“The bottomline is that we will not allow any change in the status quo on the LAC. That we will not permit,” said one of the people cited above, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

“We have faced similar situations in the past, and we will face this situation with strength and restraint,” the person added.

“The Indian troops are fully familiar with the alignment of the LAC. The Chinese have raised similar objections and made similar attempts [to hinder the activity of Indian troops] in the past too. Their motives and intentions in the current circumstances are not clear,” the person said.

“But we are very firm and very clear – there have been no violations by us,” the person added.

A second person, who too spoke on condition of anonymity, said India’s construction activities in forward areas will not stop because of the standoff.

The Border Roads Organisation (BRO) plans to complete all 61 strategic roads assigned to it along the border with China by December 2022, officials said. These roads are spread across Arunachal Pradesh, Jammu and Kashmir, Sikkim, Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh, and will allow swifter mobilisation of troops and stores to forward areas.

Indian and Chinese soldiers are eyeball-to-eyeball at four locations along the LAC and several rounds of talks between local military commanders have failed to end the standoff that began with a violent confrontation between rival patrols three weeks ago near Pangong Lake.
                                Last edited by Double Edge; 26 May 20,, 17:08.

Comment

Working...
                                X