Page 87 of 87 FirstFirst ... 78798081828384858687
Results 1,291 to 1,297 of 1297

Thread: Border face-off: China and India each deploy 3,000 troops

India again rejects China's claim over Galwan Valley; another round of talks expected on Friday

WTF are they doing in Aksai Chin, Shaksgam Valley? Now they claim Galwan. Why don't we take this issue to the UN, and make it prick China.

Eye on China: Govt plans to hike budget allocation for BRO

Close to USD 2 Billion. Only if we match defence acquisitions accordingly.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Former NSA Shivshankar thinks deterrence at the border needs to be restored if peace is to be maintained.

It held until Jun 15 where there was a balance at the border which was not as skewed as GDP figures or defense budget comparisons.

Both sides had the capacity to embarrass each other militarily and so the peace held. However now the peace has been broken which means that deterrence no longer operates.

The Chinese have broken whatever understandings there were of future Chinese behaviour so we will have to re-examine first principles again.

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    One of the things that would frustrate me with this board, before i joined is you say something, people go hmm, hmm and then a page later the topic moves on to something else.

NOBODY BOTHERED TO PUT WHAT YOU SAID THROUGH THE WRINGER
    Yeah, I have a knack of seeing the obvious and my one liners are touted as brain twisters. Must be frustrating to finally see the obvious but somehow can't get the details down to finish the thought. I bet it was fun though trying to think it through. In the end, that's a better exercise than me explaining everything. You learn to see other obvious things as well because you've already gone through the exercise.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7AYyUqrMuQ

Social engineering in Xinjiang, I didn't realize that it was this bad. How can Pakistanis ignore this....
    Seek Save Serve Medic

Quote Originally Posted by 667medic View Post
    I guess they want to maintain strategic advantage while denying the same to India, which keeps India on the backfoot. They can because they can...
    I find Shivshankar's explanation is more specific than Raja's which is they can because they can.

Well, why now and not before.

What stopped them before ? deterrence

Why did they do it now ? they are no longer deterred

Forget the 5x bigger economy.

If things were more or less balanced at the border before then we need to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Only if we have battle plans whose military objectives state the break-up terroristan and staring down the dragon. Hell yeah. And I am more than sure we do have those plans.
    Read the article i posted about Vietnam's experience. Here is a longer version

Sino-Soviet Relations and the February 1979 Sino-Vietnamese Conflict

What you want India to do with the Paks, the Viets already did with Cambodia. Toppled Pol Pot who was China's client.

Now the Viets did the draw them in thing which OOE suggests in the '79 war and it helped in that war but it does not work after some time.

By the mid 80s they still end up with 30 divisions facing China on their border.

That is what hot border with China means.
    Last edited by Double Edge; Today at 08:18.

Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Thread Information