Border face-off: China and India each deploy 3,000 troops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle,

I’m curious if this citation is reflective of the quality of articles published in this journal. I’m not familiar with Indian Defence Review, but from this single article I’m not inclined to give it much weight.

Examples:

Princess Wei was married to the moon “as per President Xi Jinping.” Unless Xi is making up his own legends these days, one might suspect that this is a traditional myth. More important, the Moon in Chinese culture – as in almost all other cultures – is identified as female. Google has exactly four citations on the subject, all referring back to this article.
    “So China must be highly amused at the cacophony in India after Lou Zhaohui Chinese Ambassador to India met a host of Indian politicians and his wife Jiang Yili (a Counselor at the Chinese Embassy) made an air dash to Thimpu post the Doklam standoff even though China has no diplomatic relations with Bhutan.
    Comments like what strategic issues Lou could have discussed with the said politicians and that the meeting with certain politician (s) was at a ..

Is there some reason to believe that Ambassador Lou discussed “strategic issues” with these Indian politicians, or that the trip to Bhutan was somehow related?
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Comment

Originally posted by DOR View Post
      Oracle,

I’m curious if this citation is reflective of the quality of articles published in this journal. I’m not familiar with Indian Defence Review, but from this single article I’m not inclined to give it much weight.

Examples:

Princess Wei was married to the moon “as per President Xi Jinping.” Unless Xi is making up his own legends these days, one might suspect that this is a traditional myth. More important, the Moon in Chinese culture – as in almost all other cultures – is identified as female. Google has exactly four citations on the subject, all referring back to this article.
      “So China must be highly amused at the cacophony in India after Lou Zhaohui Chinese Ambassador to India met a host of Indian politicians and his wife Jiang Yili (a Counselor at the Chinese Embassy) made an air dash to Thimpu post the Doklam standoff even though China has no diplomatic relations with Bhutan.
      Comments like what strategic issues Lou could have discussed with the said politicians and that the meeting with certain politician (s) was at a ..

Is there some reason to believe that Ambassador Lou discussed “strategic issues” with these Indian politicians, or that the trip to Bhutan was somehow related?
      DOR,

Try to follow China and it's policies apart from it's economy and data and maybe you will find something. It's not without any reason that a lot of countries find Chinese policies irritating. How do you explain Chinese thuggery in SCS? I know you can't. I am curious to know if you follow anything other than economic 'data'.

As far as IDR is concerned, it puts forward strategic viewpoint from ex-military and China watchers, people who have been there, done that. Sometimes, it might get a little overhead, but they know their job. Lt.Gen Katoch also makes funny comments sometimes, which is called 'sarcastic', if I remember correctly. I hope you have checked his designation too.

The Chinese are doing everything in their power to have the GoI back down and withdraw the forces, by initiating propaganda on a massive scale. And Lou, after his comments in the media against India should have been stripped of his diplomatic status and kicked out of India. And yes, Lou is trying hard to find sympathizers within the Indian opposition so that Xi has a face to save. And Bhutan having no diplomatic relations with China, Lou's wife cannot explain her sojourn to Thimpu just for merry making at this grandiose time. The Chinese are not welcome in Bhutan, nor is she, so anybody with a percent of knowledge of what's going on would know that all Chinese are doing is the bidding for Xi.
      Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Amid Doklam standoff, China hints bilateral at BRICS NSA meet

China bound to be a threat in the coming years: Army vice chief

Oh, the irony: Aerial intercepts: China urges US to stop 'unfriendly, dangerous' military activities
        Last edited by Oracle; 25 Jul 17,, 16:16.
        Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles! || Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain! || I am a far left millennial!

Comment

Originally posted by Oracle View Post
          DOR,

Try to follow China and it's policies apart from it's economy and data and maybe you will find something. It's not without any reason that a lot of countries find Chinese policies irritating. How do you explain Chinese thuggery in SCS? I know you can't. I am curious to know if you follow anything other than economic 'data'.

As far as IDR is concerned, it puts forward strategic viewpoint from ex-military and China watchers, people who have been there, done that. Sometimes, it might get a little overhead, but they know their job. Lt.Gen Katoch also makes funny comments sometimes, which is called 'sarcastic', if I remember correctly. I hope you have checked his designation too.

The Chinese are doing everything in their power to have the GoI back down and withdraw the forces, by initiating propaganda on a massive scale. And Lou, after his comments in the media against India should have been stripped of his diplomatic status and kicked out of India. And yes, Lou is trying hard to find sympathizers within the Indian opposition so that Xi has a face to save. And Bhutan having no diplomatic relations with China, Lou's wife cannot explain her sojourn to Thimpu just for merry making at this grandiose time. The Chinese are not welcome in Bhutan, nor is she, so anybody with a percent of knowledge of what's going on would know that all Chinese are doing is the bidding for Xi.
          Oracle,

I began following Chinese politics on a daily basis in 1979, took up the language, took the history courses, and wrote an MA thesis on political factions. THEN, I became an economist. If you don’t understand Chinese politics, the economics makes no sense at all. And, vice-versa.

South China Sea: When China is relatively more powerful than its immediate neighbors, it expands; when it isn’t, it buys time and / or contracts. As a student of China, I would have thought you knew that.

Classic international relations theory advocates aligning with your enemies’ enemies, and with the further away country against the closer one. Measure the Chinese borders with India and Pakistan, read the history of India’s relations with the USSR (and China’s), and explain what you – sitting in the Chinese politburo standing committee – would have done differently.
          Trust me?
          I'm an economist!

Comment

Oracle,

I began following Chinese politics on a daily basis in 1979, took up the language, took the history courses, and wrote an MA thesis on political factions. THEN, I became an economist. If you don’t understand Chinese politics, the economics makes no sense at all. And, vice-versa.
            DOR,

Irrelevant.

South China Sea: When China is relatively more powerful than its immediate neighbors, it expands; when it isn’t, it buys time and / or contracts. As a student of China, I would have thought you knew that.
            Oh, I know and almost every China watcher knows that. Bad, you guessed wrong. You should guess better, afterall you have been - following Chinese politics on a daily basis in 1979, took up the language, took the history courses, and wrote an MA thesis on political factions. And THEN ofcourse, you became an economist.

Classic international relations theory advocates aligning with your enemies’ enemies, and with the further away country against the closer one. Measure the Chinese borders with India and Pakistan, read the history of India’s relations with the USSR (and China’s), and explain what you – sitting in the Chinese politburo standing committee – would have done differently.
            I know the history of Indo-Soviet relations. I am also following the future of Indo-US relations, under TRUMPH.

And, since I am not a communist fanboy, nor a supporter of dictatorial regimes, I just don't see myself in the Chinese politburo standing committee. Now, if you have anything on topic, put up your argument, no need to hijack the thread.

Comment

Fresh this morning, ‘Open to talks but won’t quit Doklam - India

Comment

Part 01 of a 03 part series.

#ChinaVsJinping : Secrets behind Dragon’s Sabre Rattling

Part - 01

In a multi article series, we will try to find out why China under hawkish Xi Jinping wants diplomatic or military conflict (At least verbal for now) with India.

The visible reason of tensions between India & China at Doklam are Chinese geographical claims over plateau claimed by Bhutan. But careful analysis of China’s domestic politics points the fingers at different reality- The Cold War between two Camps- President Xi Jinping’s camp and another side camp of Communist Party leaders and PLA officers. This cold war has resulted into a power struggle in Beijing which forced Xi Jinping to flex his muscles against India only to consolidate his political position on domestic turf full of powerful opponents. With so many enemies which Jinping cloned during his tenure, he needs formidable enemy to divert attention from simmering anger against his rule, which he doing at Sikkim- Bhutan- Tibet Tri junction

We will shed light on various measures that Chinese President Xi Jinping has taken in China under the pretext of eradicating corruption or infusing discipline in Communist Party and Chinese Armed Forces or for crushing pro-democracy and right seeking entities. All such measures witnessed large scale prosecutions and convictions of Communist leaders, military officers, businessmen and activists set the wave of anger against high handed President Jinping. To quench the fire of unrest and anguish against himself, Jinping needs a good punching bag, which will serve as a vent for simmering anger against him and to provide a reliable safety valve for carefully manufactured jingoism, just to divert Chinese masses from domestic issues.

In today’s China, awfully omnipotent and omnipresent President Xi Jinping is calling shots on all major domestic, international, diplomatic, defence, and security and Communist Party matters. His aura and power which he wields in hand have placed him on the list of strongest Chinese leader in the Communists China’s history next to Mao. Jinping’s reach across power circle and governance has made him an invincible figure.

Obviously, his dominance in all spheres of public life as General Secretary of Communist Party, President of Government of China and Chairman of the Central Military Commission, Jinping’s hunger and grudge for long lasting power is becoming enviable to many in CPC and Chinese Military.

In this piece, we will take a look at the ostentatious anti-corruption campaign which Jinping is running through Secretary General‎ Yang Xiaochao of powerful Central Commission for Discipline Inspection. The said campaign has prosecuted and convicted many military officers and Communist leaders in last few years.

Convictions of Senior Party Leaders and Military Officers

** Bo Xilai was party chief of Chongqing who was put on trial for corruption and found embezzlement of public funds, guilty of bribery and abuse of power. The court awarded him life imprisonment. He was unceremoniously removed from office after his wife found guilty of murdering British businessman Neil Heywood. Unlike other convictions in Communists regime in China, Bo Xilai fiercely denied charges and told the court that his confessions were exploited under duress and all evidence and confessions are doctored.

** General Guo Boxiong was vice chairman of Military Commission, who might have posed threat to Xi Jinping in future as his influence in PLA was unparalleled. To reach to Guo Boxiong, his son Maj. Gen. Guo Zhenggan has been put under investigation for corruption charges and the Gen Boxiong has been charged and prosecuted.

In July 2016, a Chinese military court sentenced 74-year-old General Guo Boxiong former vice chairman of the Central Military Commission of China to life imprisonment for taking bribes. He is the highest figure in China to be prosecuted and convicted for corruption. He was deprived of his rank and his all personal assets and belongings have been confiscated by the Chinese government.

The most surprising part of the case was that General Guo was next to Xi Jinping, the Chinese president and chairman of Central Military Commission. Moreover, he was one of the 25 members of Chinese Communist Party's superpower Politburo. He was accused of accepting bribes in cash and kind quid pro quo favouring and promoting officers.

** General Xu Caihou, the former vice chairman of Central Military Commission of China was accused of corruption on March 15, 2014, and investigation were launched against him for corruption. But a year later in March 2015, he died of bladder cancer leaving behind the incomplete trial. This was a second prominent figure with Military Commission background to be prosecuted.

** National Security Chief Zhou Yongkang was one of the most powerful figures in China when he retired in 2012. Xi Jinping assumed the office in 2012 and then launched an investigation of Yongkang. In June 2015 he was declared guilty of corruption and abuse of power, taking bribes and deliberately leaking state secrets for money.

People's court awarded Zhou with life imprisonment, stripped off his political rights for life and confiscation of his personal assets.

** Zhou Benshun was party secretary of Hebei province surrounding capital Beijing and hub of Chinese steel production. The court sentenced him to 15 years in jail after he found guilty of corruption.

In typical Communist style, Zhou admitted his crime and repented for the same!

** General Wang Jianping
                was deputy chief of the Joint Staff Department under the powerful Central Military Commission. He was the first serving general in China to be prosecuted and convicted for graft charges. His wife which was also serving officer has been booked and prosecuted for graft charges. Both were awarded jail for bribery and corruption

** Ling Jihua was the close aid of former president Hu Jintao prosecuted on graft charges at Tianjin court. He found guilty of taking more than 77 million yuan in bribes, illegally obtaining and selling state secrets and stashing money with gross abuse of power.

** Su Rong, a former vice chairman of the Chinese People’s Political Consultative Conference (CPPCC), a policy governing body which is part of the Communist Party's government structure. He found guilty of bribery, collecting money with abuse of power and possessing huge disproportionate assets

16 PLA Commanders Purged in a row

In January 2015 China’s People’s Liberation Army witnessed biggest and most audacious anti-corruption drive in which 16 serving army commanders have been axed and prosecuted for various levels of corruptions. The prominent figures were Liu Zheng, Dy Director- General Logistics Department, Fan Changmi, dy political commissar- Lanzhou Military Command, Zhang Daixin, dy commander- Heilongjiang Military Command, Yu Daqing, dy political commissar- second artillery force and others.

For the first time, The Central Commission for Discipline Inspection (CCDI) which was earlier used to investigate corruption and discipline related cases of party members has been given sweeping powers to investigate cases of officers pertaining to PLA. It has marked a significant change in the scenario as Chinese Military handles Business Empire providing ample opportunities to its officers to steal their share in the form of undercover partnerships and kickbacks during deals worth billions of dollars.

Cold War between Jinping and Others

The list of prosecuted/ convicted party leaders and military officers provided here is just for reference, the sole objective of mentioning it without following chronology and sequence was to give the idea of the scale of a crackdown on influential figures under Jinping Campaign.

Though Jinping publically repeating his resolve to eradicate corruption within party and military, the figures prosecuted during his term narrates a different story. Top ranking Communist Party leaders and Military Generals are put on trial and sent to jails straightaway, leaving behind traumatised leaders with a subtle but strong message to silently follow Jinping’s line lest face the music.

In a country ruled by a single party, the government is run by party members paving the way for rampant corruption. Businesses though operated by private players have huge interference of government on all levels which offers immense opportunities to Party Members to interfere and exchange kickbacks in one form or another. What Xi Jinping is precisely doing is just exploiting loopholes in single party rule to shortlist his opponents and potential rebels which might thwart his 2018 fortunes of retaining his position.

As Jinping knows all possible places where either party member or military officer can steal his share, he can shortlist, segregate and prosecute his Would-Be opponents with surgical precision. And he is successfully doing the same since assuming the power in 2012.

Case of Sun Zhengcai

Possible Contender for Jinping Replacement

The latest case of Sun Zhengcai is the most important case to prove the point. Just three few ago, on 16th July 20, 2017, Communist Party stripped of Sun Zhengcai of his all posts including the post of party chief of Chongqing metropolis in southwestern China. He is just 53 years old and had a promising career ahead of party and after 2 terms he would be a strong contender for Chinese Presidency and Party General Secretary post. He was a member of 25 member ruling Politburo which is enough to tell about his power and position. But just before crucial party meeting Sun has been stripped off all posts making him simple Chinese criminal with tonnes of corruption allegations on his head!

Sun Zhengcai’s abrupt ouster shows how Xi Jinping is brazenly preparing to cull and oust everyone which might come in his ways. So firmly he is pursuing his agenda to stick to the power that, he is on a rampage to neutralise all potential contenders and opponents which might prove a headache to him in near and distant future.

Within next one year, the China would experience more such actions against everyone who is trying to raise his head against Xi Jinping and his coterie and more exposures of so called corruptions and indiscipline from across the Communist Party and Military Bosses.

As a result, Jinping would create an atmosphere for more fierce military conflict, diplomatic standoffs and most likely more sabre rattling in and around Asia and Pacific Theatres. China would continue to push and assert his commercial and military claims all over the world in days to come.

Comment

Part - 02

#ChinaVsJinping : Crackdown on PLA's Human Organ Trade & Business Empire

In an exercise to explore bone of contentions between Chinese president Xi Jinping and People’s Liberation Army- PLA/ Communist Party leaders, we have seen how Jinping is taking sweeping actions against political and military heavyweights. In Part 01 we have analysed profiles of the bigwigs which are stripped off of their positions and prosecuted by Jinping in goring mode. Jinping's so-called anti-corruption drive tossed and trounced Communist leaders and military/ paramilitary commanders with surgical precision and lightning speed, establishing his full command over Chinese politico-military ruling structure. Latest causality of the drive is politburo member Sun Zhengcai, which was assumed as future Chinese President.

In this second part, we will look at once sprawling Military Medical Inc. in the form of illicit, brazen and inhuman organ transplant industry, Business Empire of People’s Liberation Army spread across all verticals and laterals on which Jinping cracked the whip annoying PLA commanders and depriving them of the huge unaccounted source of money, which they were minting since decades.

Xi Jinping’s Crackdown on Chinese Army’s Inhuman Organ Transplant Industry and Military Medical Empire

China’s powerful Central Military Commission, whose head is President Xi Jinping ordered PLA in April 2016 to hand of medical business to civilian authorities. Many health activists and workers were demanding the same since long back as PLA run hospitals were in a spot for their illicit organ trade. In 2012 Chinese magazine started publishing reports on organising organ transplant racket operated my military hospitals. It has opened the can of worms placing People’s Liberation Army in a spot. In a country like China where information dumped behind iron curtains, it was unbelievable to see series of disclosures blaming military hospitals in a direct manner. Everyone in China believed that it was Xi Jinping who managed these disclosures to create strong foundations for crackdown and dismantling of Military Medical Industry! With a single move, Jinping put himself in a grave risk of being toppled by PLA in a staged military coup, for his bold move to choke jugular vein of mighty PLA commanders which have enjoyed unchecked financial and operational powers from Communist leaders to buy their loyalty.

De-militarization of medical facilities in China has far reaching consequences on Communist- PLA relationship and the move has placed Xi Jinping in direct collision with PLA generals.

Organ Donors Stockpiling: All independent investigations conclusively zeroed into Chinese Military as the sole owner of organ donor supply industry in China. Military detained political prisoners and killed them on demand to extract their vital organs for transplant industry.

While investigating the persecution of spiritual sect Falun Gong under Communist Chinese regime, many activists from the USA and Europe called hospitals in China under the guise of the person in seeking organ replacement and transplant. While answering the calls, the agents and doctors in China responded them with a full guarantee of quality of the organ to be supplied. They even offered them to choose a donor from captivity and operate him/her for necessary organ.

The 301 Military Hospital:
                  China’s military i.e. People’s Liberation Army- PLA had a chain of hospitals under its command. These hospitals were used to do organ transplant surgeries on wealthy local Chinese and foreigners willing to pay for organs transplants. Under normal circumstances, there was nothing objectionable in it. But in China, the donors for organ transplants were political prisoners, such as followers of banned religious sect Falun Gong, Uyghur Muslim separatists or Tibetans held in military or paramilitary prisons for political or freedom related activities. The 301 Military Base Hospital in Beijing was the frontrunner in this business. In 2015 retired chief surgeon and physician of 301 Hospital Jiang Yanyong told The Cable Television of Hong Kong that his hospital was deeply involved in organ harvesting business from prisoners. In a country like China, where every word spoken on public domain is being monitored and censored, the revelations made by Dr Jiang Yanyong stunned many within and outside China. Many China experts believed that Dr Jiang Yanyong’s shocking exposure on organ harvesting in Chinese military hospitals was carefully planned and blessed from higher ups within Chinese leadership and none other than Xi Jinping ordered this exposure to morally push back PLA leadership. Interestingly Dr Jiang Yanyong was earlier prosecuted and jailed in 2003 for his exposure on cover up of respiratory epidemic disease-SARS by China’s Military Hospitals, which broke out worldwide and not handled properly in China. Many familiar with China affairs feared same fate for whistleblower Dr Jiang for his shocking revelation on multibillion dollar organ transplant industry flourishing within Chinese Military Health ecosystem. Despite his scathing attack on PLA’s organ black market, nothing happened to him, as he had blessings of Chinese president!

The 309 Military Hospital: This is the most shocking story of organised organ harvesting by any military hospital in the world. 309 Military Hospital is in Beijing. The organ trade was so transparent in nature that the hospital website published on its website, that within five years its organ transplant revenue shot up from $4.6 million in 2006 to $35 million in 2010, phenomenal 7 fold growth, at the expense of organs snatched from political prisoners!

‘Doctors Against Forced Organ Harvesting’, a group dedicated to eradicating medical malpractices including organ black trade reached to the conclusion that jailed followers of banned religious group Falun Gong was on the top of organ donors list.

The group estimated (based on government disclosed data on organ transplants) that some 100,000 deaths or say murders of Falun Gong followers occurred only for organ trade.

A Hong Kong-based NGO, the Ho Leung Ho Lee Foundation estimated that the prominent surgeon attached to the 309 Military Hospital, Dr Shi Bingyi, conducted 380 liver transplants and 2,130 kidney transplants surgeries. As a part of military run organ transplant industry!

The 304 Military Hospital:This military hospital was specialised for treating Communist bigwigs in Beijing. This hospital was at the centre of controversy after a report published in the business magazine Caijing regarding Falun Gong detainees and Jiang Jemin campaign against Falun Gong. The reporter of magazine Xu Qianchuan interviewed urologists and surgeons from Hospital 304 and found the murky trade going on in the hospital in fully professional manner. The whole business started and flourished after Jemin’s campaign against Falun Gong.

In July 1999 President Jiang Zemin ordered a crackdown on followers of religious sect Falun Gong. At the same moment, organ harvesting from Falun Gong detainees started in full swing. 610 Office were established countrywide to execute Falun Gong eradication. Dr Torsten Trey of Doctors Against Forced Organ Harvesting estimated that about 10,000 organ transplantation operations were conducted in China per year.

Investigative journalist Xu Qianchuan attached to business magazine Caijing accessed documents which convincingly proved linkages between agents engaged in selling kidneys and the courts and PLA military hospitals. Xu noted that tonnes of evidence and clues point the finger towards military hospital 304, the trial courts, and the 610 Offices earmarked for Falun Gong control are deeply involved in this well-oiled, illicit organ transplanting business.

The World Organization to Investigate the Persecution of Falun Gong ( WOIPFG), the Falun Gong rights advocacy group in its own investigation found an extensive and disturbing network of organ trade of Chinese Military. Near about 865 hospitals, 9,500 physicians and surgeons were part of organ harvesting, belonging to 712 hospitals. They were engaged in liver and kidney transplantation. The network was spread across 22 Chinese provinces, 5 autonomous regions, 4 municipalities along with 217 cities. Military hospitals, para military and armed police force hospitals and vast category other medical facilities. More than 865 Chinese medical agencies were involved in organ harvesting business from living healthy Falun Gong followers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	24_08_33_50_Figure_1_Organ_Trade_Centers_in_China_H@@IGHT_458_W@@IDTH_731.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	218.3 KB
ID:	1471274
                  Organ trade centers in China

But the backbone of whole organ transplant trade was Military Hospitals working under the direct command of PLA Commanders. The decisive, lethal blow to this most lucrative business by Xi Jinping placed him in loggerhead with PLA. In days to come the cold war or at some point of time open fight for supremacy cannot be ruled out.

PLA’s General Business Empire

Apart from traditional business verticals like agricultural and animal farms or mining raw materials, PLA had a nearly monopolistic business presence in high-value technology driven areas like telecommunication, transportation, space and satellites industry, consumer goods like bikes and television. The PLA had also enterprises in service sectors like discotheques, hotels, discotheques, shares and securities and real estate.

During peak commercial activities PLA had 20,000 registered business enterprises under its control with later settled at 15,000 in due course. Though President Jiang Zemin tried his best to snatch control of PLA held businesses in 1998, it didn’t work because his stature couldn’t enforce the order on the ground and a formidable alliance of PLA officers could ignore it easily.

The fundamental of Mao’s principle that Party is supreme was no more reality in China given the amount of cash and businesses in PLA’s hand. PLA commanders were so powerful with a gun in one hand and treasury keys in another that no party leader could dare to scrap PLA control and influence on Chinese business firms.

After Xi Jinping’s arrival at the help of Chinese Communist Party in November 2012, the scenario drastically changed. He launched a most aggressive campaign in modern Chinese history against huge corruption in Chinese military and party. Simultaneously he ordered the withdrawal of PLA from medical services and all business ventures which Chinese army was running since decades. Practically Chinese generals have become traders than army commanders. Xinping’s sweeping actions against PLA corruption has purged 1600 officers and witnessed complete withdrawal of PLA from commercial activities, converting it into professional fighting force.

Cold War Between Xinping and PLA

Xi Jinping convened a major meeting of top officers in November 2014 to commemorate the 85th anniversary of the historic Gutian Congress, In 1929 Gutian Congress Mao stressed that the ‘Party is absolutely above the military’. Jinping convened his selected 420 senior officers at the small town of Gutian in Fujian Province. This was the first time an after Mao, The Chinese leader convened top military leadership at Gutian. The loud symbolism of Gutian-2014 was to remind, stress and inculcate Mao’s message of Party’s supremacy over the military.

After the vigorous anti-corruption drive, ousting PLA from medical and other commercial and industrial domains by Xi Jinping, both sides are exploring various options to establish supremacy over each other. At present, Jinping is by and largely successful in his efforts and he has pushed back PLA from its November 2012 position, where it was before Xinping regime started. But that might not be same in future. The signs of open discontent between Xi and PLA are tangible.

Visible Signs of Jinping & PLA Rift

Chumur- Ladakh Infiltration by PLA on day one of Jinping’s visit to India on November 17, 2014, shocked Indians. Over 1000 PLA troops intruded in Chumur and Demchok in Ladakh region almost 5 km in Indian border creating tension. The standoff later calmed down after series of flag meetings, but it created diplomatic embarrassment for Chinese president meeting Modi on Indian soil. The attempt was seen as PLA efforts to create problems for Jinping following his moves against PLA on all fronts.

Jinping-Modi meet ruled out during G-20 meeting in Hamburg by Foreign Ministry spokesman Geng Shuang in July first week. But actually, Jinping and Modi met during G-20 meeting. It was PLA which forced the statement denying possible Jinping-Modi meet at Hamburg and it was Jinping’s firm resolve to supersede and dominate PLA on foreign policy issues just to reinforce principles of 1929 Gutian Congress Principle of “Party above Military”

Discontent between Jinping and PLA are bound to grow and gap sure to widen in near future. It would be interesting to observe in near future, what turn it takes and who emerges winner of the Chinese Cold War!

(Part- 03- Reform in PLA), yet to be released.

Comment

Why Is Russia Aiming Missiles at China?

Is there a single country that trusts the Chinese(apart from failed/failing states)?

Comment

• Miffed at a US publication's support for India, Chinese media says 'US is instigating military clash between China, India'

Comment

• China, the world's bully

This commentary is not so much about the recent furore caused by China’s attempt to construct a road in the Doklam (or Donglong) Plateau as on the mindset that makes China go berserk from time to time over its purported claims over various parts of land and sea.

It is to express puzzlement over a several millennia-old civilization insensitively relapsing into bully-like behaviour without regard to the susceptibilities of sister nations.

As a member of the United Nations, China is pledged to adhere to 'justice and respect for the obligations arising from treaties and other sources of international law' and 'to practice tolerance and live together in peace with one another as good neighbours'.

I wish to ask China through this article how it so conveniently forgets the code of conduct arising from that membership by unilateral acts of adventurism, negating norms of international relations.

Whether it is the question of borders with neighbouring countries, or the South China Sea, or the Senkaku Islands, it is quick to adopt a stance of My Way or the Highway and presumes to lay down the law as if decision-making on any disputed claim is its sole preserve and prerogative.

It proclaims on its own a set of ever expanding core interests, a sort of surrogate Monroe Doctrine, which the world would ignore only at its peril.

Actually, regulation of relations between nations is not so radically different from that of inter-personal relations in complexion and character.

Maintenance of peace and harmony among nations requires that if there is a difference of opinion, honest or otherwise, or dispute, justified or otherwise, the first step is to avoid provocative actions which would further exacerbate feelings, and seek a solution by listening to both sides with patience and an open mind, or submit it to mediation or arbitration by tribunals established for the purpose and accept the verdict with grace.

It has become a set pattern of Chinese conduct over the years to keep the disputes on the boil, indulge in intimidatory tactics and attempt to create faits accompli.

The only concession to civilised behaviour it has made is giving up the use of obnoxious labels of 'reactionaries', 'paper tigers', 'Japanese devils', 'hegemonists', 'imperialist wolves', 'running dogs of imperialism; and the like all of which it used in the past at the drop of a hat.

The insults it heaped on Jawaharlal Nehru who went all out to befriend China and make it a respected member of the comity of nations can never be forgiven.

It came very close to an atavistic throwback to that tendency when it rubbed in the so-called 'lessons of history' of the 1962 debacle suffered by India at the hands of China in its angry response to the statement of the Indian army chief about India's preparedness to meet whatever threat to its security.

Further, in its utter contempt for finer feelings of other nations, it stages outrages at the most inopportune moments such as State visits, or some important event.

Just when Jawaharlal Nehru was extending his friendly hand to China, it gobbled up Tibet without so much as with your leave.

In 1979, just when Atal Bihari Vajpayee, as the foreign minister, was on a visit to China to strengthen relations, it invaded Vietnam, forcing him to break off the visit and then prime minister Morarji R Desai to express 'profound shock and distress'.

Just when poor Narendra D Modi was entertaining Xi Jinping on the swing in Ahmedabad, China makes a massive incursion with its troops into the Chumar sector of eastern Ladakh, compelling Modi to tell his guest that such incidents could impact the biggest of relationships 'just as a little toothache can paralyze the entire body'.

Even 24 hours after Xi saying that the People's Liberation Army had been asked to withdraw, the troops stayed put, falsifying Xi's promise.

Now, when Modi was having his maiden meeting with US President Donald J Trump, China is up to its old tricks again, by causing a distraction on the Doklam (Donglong) plateau.

One of the age-old tests of nobility in valour is that if you want to flex your muscle, you had better pick on someone your own size: China, in a small-minded way, picks on Bhutan to transgress into a territory which the latter genuinely believes to be its, and tries to impose its will, instead of resolving the difference in a decent manner appropriate to a great power.

In the process, it needlessly stokes the embers of suspicion and fears with reference to the Chumbi Valley and the 'chicken's neck' -- the narrow corridor which is the only point of entry for India to the north-eastern states.

By the way, lending credence to Bhutan's stand on the Doklam plateau is the fact that in the various discussions on delineating the Sino-Bhutan border, China had been asking Bhutan to exchange the north-western areas of Bhutan within which the Doklam plateau falls for the central areas next to the Chumbi Valley tri-junction, thereby tacitly accepting Bhutanese right of possession.

India’s concern arises from the fact that this plateau has a dominating effect on not only the Chumbi Valley, but also on the Siliguri corridor called the 'chicken's neck' mentioned earlier.

China already has some six roads leading to the north and north-western areas of Bhutan.

I want to ask the Chinese leaders: Is this what your great sages and philosophers have taught you?

As an ancient civilisation, and a great nation making rapid strides on the world stage, shouldn't you be a role model of propriety, restraint and prudence, instead of being a bull(y) in a China shop?

Comment

• Oracle,

I had a look at your link (#ChinaVsJinping : Secrets behind Dragon’s Sabre Rattling), mainly to find an author capable of writing so authoritatively yet with so little actual understanding. Some examples:
                          “The Cold War between two Camps- President Xi Jinping’s camp and another side camp of Communist Party leaders and PLA officers.”
                          Not a feature of any serious analysis of current Chinese elite politics that I have seen.
                          "All such measures witnessed large scale prosecutions and convictions of Communist leaders, military officers, businessmen and activists set the wave of anger against high handed President Jinping.”
                          "wave of anger against high-handed President Jinping”[sic]? Aside from those on the hit list, many are quite pleased that he’s finally tackling the most serious challenge facing the CCP.
                          “President Jinping”
                          Clear sign of basic ignorance of the Chinese language. What next, Chairman Zedong?
                          “To quench the fire of unrest and anguish against himself, Jinping needs a good punching bag, which will serve as a vent for simmering anger against him and to provide a reliable safety valve for carefully manufactured jingoism, just to divert Chinese masses from domestic issues.”
                          Clear sign of someone with only the thinnest understanding of China. Foreign affairs only very, very rarely have any influence on internal domestic politics. The last one that comes to mind was the purge of Lin Biao, and even that’s a bit of a stretch.
                          “In today’s China, awfully omnipotent and omnipresent President Xi Jinping is calling shots on all major domestic, international, diplomatic, defence, and security and Communist Party matters. His aura and power which he wields in hand have placed him on the list of strongest Chinese leader in the Communists China’s history next to Mao. Jinping’s reach across power circle and governance has made him an invincible figure.”
                          In other words, there is no “Cold War between two camps.”
                          “which Jinping is running through Secretary General‎ Yang Xiaochao”
                          Yang Xiaochao? The newly appointed head of the China Insurance Regulatory Commission? Really? Has the author never heard of Wang Qishan, Secretary (i.e., top dog) of the Chinese Communist Party Central Discipline Inspection Commission (DIC)?

Bo Xilai was removed as CCP Secretary for Chongqing on March 15, 2012. Eight months later, on November 15, Xi Jinping became CCP General Secretary…on the same day Wang Qishan became Secretary of the DIC.

Li Jihua was removed from his highest post, Director of the General Office of the CCP Central Committee, on August 31, 2012…10 weeks before Xi and Wang were promoted.

Sun Zhengcai:
                          was placed under investigation earlier this month. He and Hu Chunhua were called potential successors last year, but by January this year they were no longer in the running.

So, I looked up the author: Vinay Joshi:
                          “Served as social worker in Garo Hills- Meghalaya from year 2001 to 2009, Vinay can speak about 11 Indian languages. With deep interest in religious demographics, religious radicalism worldwide, India centric defense and security issues. Currently studying India's engagement with China in South China Sea and India ocean region, Vinay comments upon those issues with most contemperary [sic] references.”
                          Not exactly what one would call an Old China Hand…
                          Trust me?
                          I'm an economist!

Comment

• Originally posted by DOR View Post
                            Oracle,

I had a look at your link (#ChinaVsJinping : Secrets behind Dragon’s Sabre Rattling), mainly to find an author capable of writing so authoritatively yet with so little actual understanding. Some examples:
                            “The Cold War between two Camps- President Xi Jinping’s camp and another side camp of Communist Party leaders and PLA officers.”
                            Not a feature of any serious analysis of current Chinese elite politics that I have seen.
                            "All such measures witnessed large scale prosecutions and convictions of Communist leaders, military officers, businessmen and activists set the wave of anger against high handed President Jinping.”
                            "wave of anger against high-handed President Jinping”[sic]? Aside from those on the hit list, many are quite pleased that he’s finally tackling the most serious challenge facing the CCP.
                            “President Jinping”
                            Clear sign of basic ignorance of the Chinese language. What next, Chairman Zedong?
                            “To quench the fire of unrest and anguish against himself, Jinping needs a good punching bag, which will serve as a vent for simmering anger against him and to provide a reliable safety valve for carefully manufactured jingoism, just to divert Chinese masses from domestic issues.”
                            Clear sign of someone with only the thinnest understanding of China. Foreign affairs only very, very rarely have any influence on internal domestic politics. The last one that comes to mind was the purge of Lin Biao, and even that’s a bit of a stretch.
                            “In today’s China, awfully omnipotent and omnipresent President Xi Jinping is calling shots on all major domestic, international, diplomatic, defence, and security and Communist Party matters. His aura and power which he wields in hand have placed him on the list of strongest Chinese leader in the Communists China’s history next to Mao. Jinping’s reach across power circle and governance has made him an invincible figure.”
                            In other words, there is no “Cold War between two camps.”
                            “which Jinping is running through Secretary General‎ Yang Xiaochao”
                            Yang Xiaochao? The newly appointed head of the China Insurance Regulatory Commission? Really? Has the author never heard of Wang Qishan, Secretary (i.e., top dog) of the Chinese Communist Party Central Discipline Inspection Commission (DIC)?

Bo Xilai was removed as CCP Secretary for Chongqing on March 15, 2012. Eight months later, on November 15, Xi Jinping became CCP General Secretary…on the same day Wang Qishan became Secretary of the DIC.

Li Jihua was removed from his highest post, Director of the General Office of the CCP Central Committee, on August 31, 2012…10 weeks before Xi and Wang were promoted.

Sun Zhengcai:
                            was placed under investigation earlier this month. He and Hu Chunhua were called potential successors last year, but by January this year they were no longer in the running.

So, I looked up the author: Vinay Joshi:
                            “Served as social worker in Garo Hills- Meghalaya from year 2001 to 2009, Vinay can speak about 11 Indian languages. With deep interest in religious demographics, religious radicalism worldwide, India centric defense and security issues. Currently studying India's engagement with China in South China Sea and India ocean region, Vinay comments upon those issues with most contemperary [sic] references.”
                            Not exactly what one would call an Old China Hand…
                            DOR,

Are you a party insider? I mean, do you have a seat at the table? Do you also write about foreign policy? If your answer is 'no', it's useless arguing with you, because, then, all your points are moot. We both are common people, we learn by reading and engaging. Sorry, my bad, I am common people, you're "whatever you said earlier about yourself".

These articles are meant for MPs and people who understand strategic significance. Someone like OOE or S2, Delta etc. They are people who probably are waiting to see how all these incidents at the border go about before commenting. We who want to know more, the common people, jump on topics such as this to discuss, debate and understand the motive behind China's intransigence. You have digressed from the main issues on the article such as organ harvesting or the border incursions and have instead focused on silly things. When you do those in tandem, things make sense. To me it does. You're dismissing them because you have to. That's about it. And I know why, but I am not going to speak about it. That China has been propping up insurgents in the North-East has been open source for decades. Garo hills is in the NE, but I doubt you even heard about it. I am open to learning, learned a lot from the Colonel and others, mostly via PM. But you bring nothing to the table, there is no learning from you. You keep pounding your opinions again and again and don't want to hear the other POV. When I do that, that's the end of my learning. So, your holiness, please excuse me. Btw, the American political thread is waiting for your expert intellectual comments. Peace be upon you.
                            Last edited by Oracle; 27 Jul 17,, 05:01.

Comment

• Does India need to be invaded by China to wake up?

Rare instance when I agree with Calude Arpi. The government machinery is too slow. Mr. Modi is not upto the speed I thought he would be. 90% of the government staff needs to be fired and lateral hiring needs to be initiated to fill the posts. Whatever developments are happening, they are in the north/west and south. My grandpa's village still suffers from massive power cuts everyday, even though there is a BJP state government in place. And the roads are in a pitiful state all year round, monsoon just makes it worse. If development doesn't percolate to the villages, this is no development at all. Nobody is held accountable. For the poor man on the ground, nothing has changed.

Why do we need a $12 billion bullet train from Ahmedabad to Mumbai? The travel time would take 4 hours IIRC. It's better and cheaper to fly. People who have the money would opt to fly, because it is faster. These are some of the unnecessary spends I don't understand. Agriculture sector is in a mess and money is being spent on a white elephant. What for? To show China that India too can build a bullet train? Dimwits, buy artillery and show that to China on the border. People say corruption has decreased, yes it has - in the centre, not at the state level. Not in the municipality office or in the RTO or in the passport office. My college mates' mother-in-law died some months back, even the ambulance driver needs to be bribed to have the body delivered at home for the last rituals, then to transport it to the electric crematorium. We paid bribe there too, to burn the body, then to get a provisional death certificate. Total bribe paid was somewhere close to $130, and that is considering that the original death certificate would need more cash. A year back, I talked with the heir of one of the luxury resorts in India. He told me corruption has decreased, but now ministers asks for favors. Like a week's stay, free food, free booze. Bloody buggers.

BRO is another incompetent organisation. Any road they build doesn't last for more than a year, and then there are delays and delays and delays. There is a small stretch near my ancestral village(I think 10 kms or so), between Silchar and Gujarat which is not yet complete, and we have BJP at the centre and the state. When it comes to basic facilities, all politicians are crooks irrespective of their party affiliations. It's sad, but one Modi cannot change the lethargic nature of babudom in India.

This is the condition of road pre-monsoon:

Name:	Auto.jpg
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	1471279

Condition during monsoon:

Name:	13087510_10209372466254794_6554904469822113823_n.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1471280Click image for larger version

Name:	13092164_10209372460174642_1142312167988025419_n.jpg
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	1471281Click image for larger version

Name:	13239188_996694643755949_7076354914425578880_n.jpg
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1471282Click image for larger version

Name:	13241254_996694550422625_1240858128649521005_n.jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1471283
                              Last edited by Oracle; 27 Jul 17,, 03:50.

Comment

• Oracle,

Yes, I’m a party insider, I have a seat at the table and I frequently write about foreign affairs.
                                Is that the only way anyone else’s views would have validity in your world?

If these articles are meant for “MPs and people who understand strategic significance. Someone like OOE or S2, Delta” then all the more reason to alert them – and, apparently you – that these articles are deeply flawed and should not be used as the basis for understanding anything except the author’s agenda and ignorance.

Sort of like calling out Epoch Times as an unreliable source: it’s a matter of public service. You know what I mean: there's a perfectly legitimate story like China provoking border conflicts, and then some idiot has to dig into old history about involuntary organ transplants. Issues that are both long over with and totally unrelated.

I’m a professional in my field. Just as I won’t be caught arguing military strategy or small unit tactics with the military pros around here, I expect at least a degree of respect for the more than 30 years I’ve devoted to developing an expertise in my field.

Now, since I didn’t insult you or show any disrespect toward you as a person – only toward the article you posted – perhaps I might expect a bit of that respect in return.
                                After all, this is the World Affairs Board.

Are you willing to listen to another point of view?
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X