Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Border face-off: China and India each deploy 3,000 troops

Oracle,

I’m curious if this citation is reflective of the quality of articles published in this journal. I’m not familiar with Indian Defence Review, but from this single article I’m not inclined to give it much weight.

Examples:

Princess Wei was married to the moon “as per President Xi Jinping.” Unless Xi is making up his own legends these days, one might suspect that this is a traditional myth. More important, the Moon in Chinese culture – as in almost all other cultures – is identified as female. Google has exactly four citations on the subject, all referring back to this article.

“So China must be highly amused at the cacophony in India after Lou Zhaohui Chinese Ambassador to India met a host of Indian politicians and his wife Jiang Yili (a Counselor at the Chinese Embassy) made an air dash to Thimpu post the Doklam standoff even though China has no diplomatic relations with Bhutan.
    Comments like what strategic issues Lou could have discussed with the said politicians and that the meeting with certain politician (s) was at a ..

Is there some reason to believe that Ambassador Lou discussed “strategic issues” with these Indian politicians, or that the trip to Bhutan was somehow related?
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by DOR View Post
    Oracle,

I’m curious if this citation is reflective of the quality of articles published in this journal. I’m not familiar with Indian Defence Review, but from this single article I’m not inclined to give it much weight.

Examples:

Princess Wei was married to the moon “as per President Xi Jinping.” Unless Xi is making up his own legends these days, one might suspect that this is a traditional myth. More important, the Moon in Chinese culture – as in almost all other cultures – is identified as female. Google has exactly four citations on the subject, all referring back to this article.

“So China must be highly amused at the cacophony in India after Lou Zhaohui Chinese Ambassador to India met a host of Indian politicians and his wife Jiang Yili (a Counselor at the Chinese Embassy) made an air dash to Thimpu post the Doklam standoff even though China has no diplomatic relations with Bhutan.
    Comments like what strategic issues Lou could have discussed with the said politicians and that the meeting with certain politician (s) was at a ..

Is there some reason to believe that Ambassador Lou discussed “strategic issues” with these Indian politicians, or that the trip to Bhutan was somehow related?
    DOR,

Try to follow China and it's policies apart from it's economy and data and maybe you will find something. It's not without any reason that a lot of countries find Chinese policies irritating. How do you explain Chinese thuggery in SCS? I know you can't. I am curious to know if you follow anything other than economic 'data'.

As far as IDR is concerned, it puts forward strategic viewpoint from ex-military and China watchers, people who have been there, done that. Sometimes, it might get a little overhead, but they know their job. Lt.Gen Katoch also makes funny comments sometimes, which is called 'sarcastic', if I remember correctly. I hope you have checked his designation too.

The Chinese are doing everything in their power to have the GoI back down and withdraw the forces, by initiating propaganda on a massive scale. And Lou, after his comments in the media against India should have been stripped of his diplomatic status and kicked out of India. And yes, Lou is trying hard to find sympathizers within the Indian opposition so that Xi has a face to save. And Bhutan having no diplomatic relations with China, Lou's wife cannot explain her sojourn to Thimpu just for merry making at this grandiose time. The Chinese are not welcome in Bhutan, nor is she, so anybody with a percent of knowledge of what's going on would know that all Chinese are doing is the bidding for Xi.

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    DOR,

Try to follow China and it's policies apart from it's economy and data and maybe you will find something. It's not without any reason that a lot of countries find Chinese policies irritating. How do you explain Chinese thuggery in SCS? I know you can't. I am curious to know if you follow anything other than economic 'data'.

As far as IDR is concerned, it puts forward strategic viewpoint from ex-military and China watchers, people who have been there, done that. Sometimes, it might get a little overhead, but they know their job. Lt.Gen Katoch also makes funny comments sometimes, which is called 'sarcastic', if I remember correctly. I hope you have checked his designation too.

The Chinese are doing everything in their power to have the GoI back down and withdraw the forces, by initiating propaganda on a massive scale. And Lou, after his comments in the media against India should have been stripped of his diplomatic status and kicked out of India. And yes, Lou is trying hard to find sympathizers within the Indian opposition so that Xi has a face to save. And Bhutan having no diplomatic relations with China, Lou's wife cannot explain her sojourn to Thimpu just for merry making at this grandiose time. The Chinese are not welcome in Bhutan, nor is she, so anybody with a percent of knowledge of what's going on would know that all Chinese are doing is the bidding for Xi.
    Oracle,

I began following Chinese politics on a daily basis in 1979, took up the language, took the history courses, and wrote an MA thesis on political factions. THEN, I became an economist. If you don’t understand Chinese politics, the economics makes no sense at all. And, vice-versa.

South China Sea: When China is relatively more powerful than its immediate neighbors, it expands; when it isn’t, it buys time and / or contracts. As a student of China, I would have thought you knew that.

Classic international relations theory advocates aligning with your enemies’ enemies, and with the further away country against the closer one. Measure the Chinese borders with India and Pakistan, read the history of India’s relations with the USSR (and China’s), and explain what you – sitting in the Chinese politburo standing committee – would have done differently.
    Trust me?
    I'm an economist!

Senior Contributor
    Oracle,

I began following Chinese politics on a daily basis in 1979, took up the language, took the history courses, and wrote an MA thesis on political factions. THEN, I became an economist. If you don’t understand Chinese politics, the economics makes no sense at all. And, vice-versa.
    DOR,

Irrelevant.

South China Sea: When China is relatively more powerful than its immediate neighbors, it expands; when it isn’t, it buys time and / or contracts. As a student of China, I would have thought you knew that.
    Oh, I know and almost every China watcher knows that. Bad, you guessed wrong. You should guess better, afterall you have been - following Chinese politics on a daily basis in 1979, took up the language, took the history courses, and wrote an MA thesis on political factions. And THEN ofcourse, you became an economist.

Classic international relations theory advocates aligning with your enemies’ enemies, and with the further away country against the closer one. Measure the Chinese borders with India and Pakistan, read the history of India’s relations with the USSR (and China’s), and explain what you – sitting in the Chinese politburo standing committee – would have done differently.
    I know the history of Indo-Soviet relations. I am also following the future of Indo-US relations, under TRUMPH.

And, since I am not a communist fanboy, nor a supporter of dictatorial regimes, I just don't see myself in the Chinese politburo standing committee. Now, if you have anything on topic, put up your argument, no need to hijack the thread.

Thread Information