Qatar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    I don't worry about Qatar, they've managed to transition, its the Saudis and stability in the kingdom that is of concern.
    >>> "How long can their nonsense last."
    Until the world doesn't require or weans itself off their oil, liquified gas and petroleum-related resources.
    Real eyes realize real lies.

Comment

If that's the case then we're ok. I was thinking something could happen earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by JCT View Post
        This may be one of the keys here. Al Jazeera has been a thorn in the Saudi (and other Gulf States) side as it isn't afraid to report a more complete truth than the ruling princes are willing to tell their own people. The only exception would be within Qatar itself where Al Jazeera is not known to particularly criticize it's own Prince - bite the hand that feeds and all that.

Saudi Arabia is using this pretext to attempt to muzzle Al Jazeera. It will be interesting to see how this plays out and if it shifts any of the dynamics in any meaningful way (ie, push Qatar into even closer relationship with Iran.)

True, but then again when the Qataris have the GDP per capita of +$130,000 per annum, do they really care that they don't have democracy ?
        AJ will not be critical of Qatar's government, but is there any other news outlet that is even close to AJ in terms of openness ?

Qatar's has learned to dance on the edge of the swords for decades. Its survival is based on doing its balancing act with Hamas, Israelis, Saudi, Emiratis, Iranians, Turks, Russians, Americans etc. etc. They know not to get too close to anyone. And since they are a Sunni majority nation, they have no insecurities as the Saudi or the Bahraini do. I wish them well.

In my opinion, the Saudi block lost within 48 hours of not achieving anything after its blockade was imposed. The subsequent weeks are just spend to find a way to save face. There is no stateman in the Saudi camp with a caliber akin of a Otto von Bismarck or a Dr. Henry Kissinger. The young prince is more like a Kaiser Wilhelm II, Strongman Trump or Ahamdinejad who wants his place in the sun.

Comment

Gulf states considering plans to bring end to Saudi-led Qatar boycott

Gulf states are studying plans to break the deadlock over the Saudi-led boycott of Qatar by persuading the two sides to agree to relax restrictions on civilian movements as the first step to a wider deal.

The dispute with Qatar is likely to be one of the major topics for discussion between the Saudi crown prince, Mohammed bin Salman, and the UK prime minister, Theresa May, when the two leaders meet in London on Wednesday.

Britain has urged Saudi Arabia to lift the blockade, which has damaged economies across the Gulf but has not brought Qatar to its knees nor led to a change in regime.

In what would be seen as a mutual goodwill gesture designed to lead to the end of the nine-month boycott of the country by Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates, the two sides would allow citizens of each others’ countries to travel freely.

Such a move would require Qatar’s neighbours to end the air blockade that has prevented Qatari flights from landing in their territory and from using their airspace. As many as 10,000 Gulf citizens, most with relations in neighbouring states, have been affected by the land, sea and air restrictions.
          https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...-qatar-boycott
          "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Working...
          X