Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 20212223242526272829

Thread: Fall of France

Contributor
    I'm sorry but I could not find your question in your post. Could you clarify?

Sorry to restate;

'Assuming for arguments sake the Japanese had been in a position to learn the lessons you referred to, how do they apply them in South East Asia?' (Given the difficulties I highlighted.) This in turn lead to the swimming in treacle comparison i.e. outside of the winter months fighting battles of maneuver on the Eastern front was an order of magnitude easier than similar campaigns in SEA.
    Last edited by Monash; Yesterday at 21:04.

Contributor
    If all else stays the same? Equipment? Numbers? They wouldn't invade SE Asia. They couldn't invade SE Asia. Deep Battle or its smaller little brother, Blitzkreig drinks fuel and eats ammo like teenage boys losing their virginity. That fuel and ammo went to the IJN in their campaign against Australia and the US. Also, these are extremely manpower and firepower intensive doctrines. For Deep Battle, you're essentially massing the forces for 3 seperate battles. Again, using the Manchurian Campaign as the example, each one of those 3 Fronts was capable of fighting the Kwantung Army to a standstill, if not overwhelming them. When the Kwantung Army pushed back the North Front, the East and West Fronts had already smashed their rear and surrounded the Kwantung Army. The Japanese had a choice. They could have choose to surrender or to die. In 1945, they chosed surrender. In 1939, they chosed death. The Soviets couldn't care less which.

With the LOCs the IJA had, there was really only one way to defeat Bill Slim's BIA and that was to build roads, ie a Ho Chi Minh Trail, and then use whatever mules they had, vehicle, animal, or human, to drag artillery and ammo to the isolated BIA boxes and set up AAA points to protect against bombers.

But then, the IJA was destroying the very thing that would be vital for this to be successful, local support.

Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    on a completely different tangent, i really wonder what would have happened had Stalin went completely paranoid/nutso in May 1945 and decided to try to drive the Western Allies out of Europe.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Former Staff Senior Contributor Ironduke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    on a completely different tangent, i really wonder what would have happened had Stalin went completely paranoid/nutso in May 1945 and decided to try to drive the Western Allies out of Europe.
    I think we'd be calling England Airstrip One.

Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    He would have lost badly. The VVS had become a very good tactical air force at low levels. It had nothing to oppose the bomber streams that would have hammered his logistics in Poland and Eastern Europe. Even in the low level tactical battle, it would have lost. The combined US/Uk air forces dwarfed the VVS in terms of numbers and by 45 our front line ADA units were using proximity fuses. On the ground the Red Army was strong, but tired and after Berlin was very low on supplies and many of his best units were fought out. They would be hitting a force of 91 divisions numbering over 4 million troops with in excess of 10,000 tanks and 60,000 artillery pieces plus 25,000 plus combat aircraft. The Soviets had more divisions, but not more men or equipment.

If the war went on for any length of time his supplies of high octane av gas, chemicals and explosives would dry up as LL shipments ceased. He could make replacement tanks at will, but his chemicals industry was in shambles and depended on western imports. The allies would have been hampered in any pursuit of defeated Red Army forces by the same destroyed logistics lines and the need to supply the civilian population of Western Europe but at least they had supplies to bring in.

Thread Information