No announcement yet.

Federal work force revolt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The UK had a chargé d'affaires in Beijing for more than 20 years, and by 1972 I would imagine that seat was plenty warm"

Hmmm...1952-1972? Fascinating. You project the same for our government to the Court of Windsor?

I suspect not.

Please try not to dissemble needlessly. This Charge D'Affaire is exceeding his portfolio and needs restraint or removal. I'd say that of any Charge D'Affair serving any administration.
    "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
    "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

Court of St James*

Comment

Originally posted by S2 View Post
        "The UK had a chargé d'affaires in Beijing for more than 20 years, and by 1972 I would imagine that seat was plenty warm"

Hmmm...1952-1972? Fascinating. You project the same for our government to the Court of Windsor?

I suspect not.

Please try not to dissemble needlessly. This Charge D'Affaire is exceeding his portfolio and needs restraint or removal. I'd say that of any Charge D'Affair serving any administration.
        In April, 1949, the PLA attacked the HMS Amethyst on the Yangzi River (Edward Youde attempted to negotiate a cease fire with Ye Fei, future commander of the PLAN). That’s important to understanding the mood at the time.

London recognized Beijing in January 1950. China demands Britain close its consulate in Taipei before it will approve an exchange of ambassadors.

June, 1950, North Korea invades South Korea. The UK gets heavily involved in the US-led UN ‘police action.’ Again, historical context.

1961: After 11 years, the UK stops abstaining and votes in favor of the PRC being admitted to the UN.

1967: Red Guards sack the British Legation in Beijing. UK officials in Shanghai were also attacked. Riots in Hong Kong.

March 13, 1972: The UK and PRC exchange full recognition. Sir John Addis assumes the post. In 1974, he was succeeded by Sir Edward Youde, future Governor of Hong Kong and an active participant in the Amethyst Incident.

Formally, a chargé d'affaires is lower ranked than an ambassador, but there are plenty of precedents for such people carrying the full weight of the ambassadorship. Remember, GHW Bush was chargé d'affaires in Beijing, 1974-75.
        Trust me?
        I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
        X