He did it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He did it

Today was Little Grapes last day as a high school student. Extremely proud of the Kid. He hasn't made less than a B since 3d grade. Not an athlete, which is fine by me. But a member of the Math Club, Physics club,STEM club, National Honor Society, Computer club, and at graduation will be 20 credit hours away from a AS degree.

Back around Nov, I started noticing a change in him. He was trying to decide which engineering field to major in, we submitted his FSA application and were talking about taking the ACT for a second time.

Then the Friggin recruiters came to the school for Senior Career Day. And he asked me if it would be a good idea to take the ASVAB. Just to get use to taking test.

Then in Jan, he and I were looking at a few packets from various schools when he hit me with " I want to take a break from going to school." " I hear the stories from you and mom about all the places you have been and I would like to see the world before locking into a career/life". I had no argument to counter that.

The only thing that I insisted was that when he went to see the recruiters I would accompany him. To call Bullshit when I saw it. So we went to see all 4 recruiters. I did tell him that there was no way I would let a son of mine join one of the branches. He ships for boot camp at the end of June.

Any guesses on which service he will become a member of?

Congratulations and good luck to your son, Gun Grape.
    [I was hoping the answer would be NASA (lol)] ...but the "I'd like to see the world" sure reads as USN.
    Real eyes realize real lies.

Comment

USMC arty.
      Those who know don't speak
      He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

Comment

Gunny,

Congratulations to young Grape. I know your wife and you must be immensely proud. It appears he worked his tail off in school and that sort of drive seems increasingly rare. Betting he'll be a success at whatever he chooses in life.
        "This aggression will not stand, man!" Jeff Lebowski
        "The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when you're uncool." Lester Bangs

Comment

OOOORAH!

Congrats to the Young Man.

And regardless of the service he chose (you did say Boot Camp so I am assuming USMC) I am sure he will be a fine Soldier/Marine/Sailor. I didn't say Airman because I consider the USAF an ally.
          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
          Mark Twain

Comment

Congratulations GG. Proud day for you & Mrs Gunny. You have obviously raised a fine boy who will be a credit to his family & his country.
            sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

Congrats Gunny, he will do you proud
              "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" ~ Epicurus

Comment

Thanks all.

My son is joining the Air Force.

The service that I told him I wouldn't let/want him join was my own. The Marine Corps.

The Navy recruiter stood him up on 3 scheduled appointments without so much as a text to say he couldn't make it. The 2d time, I called his Master Chief who informed me that the recruiter was on annual leave out of state.

The Army recruiter cussed like a storm. And after finding out that I was a Marine did the "they go to army schools so the Army is just as bad ass as the Corps". My son informed him that he had grown up in a Marine home and that he heard more cuss words in the 15 mins with the recruiter then he had heard come out of his fathers mouth in 18 years. His last words to the recruiter was "At the end of the day your still the Army and if you are the best example of what I should expect then its very unprofessional". I was ROFL

The Air Force recruiter was straight up professional, answered every question my son and I,asked. Didn't sugarcoat anything Then as a kicker told Chris that since he had base access, he should go talk to airmen and confirm what he said. So we did, asking Airmen from E-3, NCOs Jr Officers and even a Col. At 2 different bases.

In the end I was kicking my ass that I hadn't done the Air Force thing.

Comment

bahahaha....fly, fight, and win!

Click image for larger version

Name:	bizarro.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	240.2 KB
ID:	1470881
                  There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
                    In the end I was kicking my ass that I hadn't done the Air Force thing.
                    Can they retrospectively throw you out of the Marines for saying things like that. ;-)
                    sigpic

Comment

Wish there was a like key here. Congratulations Gunny and good luck "Little Grapes"!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                        Can they retrospectively throw you out of the Marines for saying things like that. ;-)
                        MMSR-2 (Retirement Branch) has informed me that I must post the following to maintain my "Jarhead Card"Click image for larger version

Name:	1410625348.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	1470962Click image for larger version

Name:	1435931414.jpg
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1470963Click image for larger version

Name:	TNR-general-faint-general-kill-732x768.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1470964Click image for larger version

Name:	12508841_1133884739978532_4261939881534539969_n.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1470965

Comment

Nice to see the Marines are on top of stuff like this Gunny. Once the rot starts who knows where it will end. Honor is satisfied. :-D
                          sigpic

Comment

Saw my son off today. His projected grad date is Aug 17. Which by some strange coincidence is exactly 36 years to the day from the day I started Marine Corps boot camp.

Man the house is empty without him.

Comment

You'll adjust...slowly.

If you mentioned it I missed it.

What will he be doing?
                              “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                              Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                              X