Ex-FBI Director Mueller appointed DOJ Special Counsel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gun Grape View Post
    It has to do with things that we want and expect from leaders. Honesty and Integrity. If Joe Blow wants to cheat on his wife, I don't care. Until he decides to run for public office. Then t is my business. If you cannot keep your vows to your wife, how can I expect you to keep your promises to the people that elected you?

As you said frigid or not sexual compatible gives the individuals involved a reason to terminate the marriage. It doesn't give reason to cheat. Same as any legal contract
    That's not as I said.

What I believe is the marriage is over with no intimacy, if there's no intimacy and one of the partners is dissatisfied, there's nobody to cheat on.

There may be legal formalities to go through in the courts, and if the couple is religious, perhaps an annulment from whatever church they belong to.

In my view, this is the mere formalization of a divorce/annulment unilaterally issued by the non-intimate partner (whether it's physical or emotional intimacy).

As far as I'm concerned, nobody else's opinion matters, and it's nobody else's business, as they're private individuals who get to do what they want. They're already ex-wife, ex-husband, strangers living together as roommates. Public officials have the right to private lives as well, and the right to privacy.

I'm almost of the thought that the act of third parties exposing an individual's private sexual relationships to public exposure, that it ought to be a crime. That only the individuals involved in the relationship ought to be legally able to speak about it to others.

Taking another look at the vows:
    1. I, ____, take you, ____, to be my lawfully wedded (husband/wife)
    2. to have and to hold, from this day forward
    3. for better, for worse
    4. for richer, for poorer
    5. in sickness and in health
    6. until death do us part.

I'm not sure if there's any reason why they are in such order, if there's an order of precedence or not, but as far as I'm concerned, one partner breaking vow #2 automatically frees the other partner from their obligations to uphold vows #3 through #6.

You're free to believe what you want. I've never sought to convert anybody to my views.
    Last edited by Ironduke; 25 May 18,, 21:12.
    "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• So it turns out that Cohen met two people 11 days before the inauguration. Guess who? Vekselburg and Intrater. Nobody else so I suppose the "minutes" are unlikely to be forthcoming. Of course they met at Trumpkin Tower. Then Cohen got a $1m contract to advise Columbus Nova run by Intrater - which is absolutely in now way connected with Renova Group, run by Intrater's cousin and Putin crony Vekselburg - just days later to advise on what? Columbus Nova had no court case as didn't Trumpkin say Cohen was his lawyer? He also said he was a business man I recall so if Cohen was not advising on law it must have been business.

Look this is total BS and anyone with eyes can see it. Cohen is just a cut out - a go between. He probably got a percentage but the money was for Trumpkin for whom Cohen acted. I do not know what Vekselburg wanted and cannot say for sure he acted on behalf of Putin but it is possible at least - which is probably why the Mueller team wanted to chat with him and Intrater. Nor does Cohen's not registering as an agent look good while accepting these payments - why not? Precisely because he was a conduit not an agent.

This is how it works in Muscovy - and in some circles in Ukraine. Putin never gets payed himself, "Give the money to my Man the cellist." Then it vanishes offshore to the Caymens or wherever and when needed usually via Cyprus to buy whatever is needed from London to New York and beyond.

I will start praying for Mueller so these crooks - because that is all they are basically, even Putin is just a mafia dwarf - get locked up.
      Last edited by snapper; 26 May 18,, 17:41.

Comment

• Trey Gowdy punches a big old hole through the 'FBI put a spy in the Trump campaign' narrative. I look forawrd to the kool aid drinkers denouncing him as part of the 'deep state' or a RINO or whatever the distraction de jure is.

http://insider.foxnews.com/2018/05/2...-obama-not-fbi
        sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• They're onto a new one now; Mueller is apparently going to interfere in the mid term elections. Evidence of this as usual zero. From "Obama wiretapped me" to the FBI had a "spy" in the Trump campaign to Mueller interfering in the coming elections... no evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
            They're onto a new one now; Mueller is apparently going to interfere in the mid term elections. Evidence of this as usual zero. From "Obama wiretapped me" to the FBI had a "spy" in the Trump campaign to Mueller interfering in the coming elections... no evidence.
            They are starting to scramble now. I'm pretty sure that whatever Mueller comes up with in his investigation you will find every i dotted and every t crossed.

Comment

• The only hope for the GOP is to resign en masse, and start a new party.

Call it the Gettin Over Putin party...
              Trust me?
              I'm an economist!

Comment

• The only hope for the GOP is to resign en masse, and start a new party.
                Trump is the most popular figure by far in the party, whereas never-Trumpers are relegated to opinion pages as the "affirmative-action" conservative.

the centrist desire for some sort of principled, Burkean conservative party has long been moot.
                There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Republicans turning on Trey Gowdy, as expected. Not even hounding Hilary for years is enough to save someone who questions a baseless trump assertion. A 'post truth' world indeed.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-theory-617948
                  sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Next comes a pardon for Manafort. I see they are now arguing the zraver idea that a President is exempt from the law totally - and if not can pardon himself. No; even Kings are beholden to the law. Ask the Charles l.

Comment

• the entire premise behind Trump's talk of pardons is that only Congress has the ability to administer justice with respect to the President through impeachment.

and Trump knows that impeachment is every bit as much of a political process as it is a legal one, and that Republicans in Congress will never vote for impeachment as long as Trump is the most popular figure in the GOP.
                      There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

• wow.

====

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...adf_story.html

Federal prosecutors accused former Trump presidential campaign chairman Paul Manafort of witness tampering late Monday in his criminal case and asked a federal judge to consider revoking or revising his release.

Prosecutors accused Manafort and a longtime associate they linked to Russian intelligence of repeatedly contacting two members of a public relations firm and asking them to falsely testify about secret lobbying they did at Manafort’s behest.

The firm of former senior European officials, informally called the “Hapsburg group,” was secretly retained in 2012 by Manafort to advocate for Ukraine, where Manafort had clients, prosecutors charged.

In court documents, prosecutors with special counsel Robert S. Mueller III allege that Manafort and his associate — referred to only as Person A — tried to contact the two witnesses by phone and through encrypted messaging apps. The description of Person A matches his longtime business colleague in Ukraine, Konstantin Kilimnik.

Manafort, 69, has been on home confinement pending trial...

Comment

• The asshattery amongst these guys is just amazing.
                          “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                          Mark Twain

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                            Next comes a pardon for Manafort. I see they are now arguing the zraver idea that a President is exempt from the law totally - and if not can pardon himself. No; even Kings are beholden to the law. Ask the Charles l.
                            Not really sure I think the English Civil War is an example of anything useful. The Rump Parliament is called "Rump" because the military purged the Long Parliament (itself undemocratic by US standards) of everyone they didn't like.

Basically the total opposite of rule by law.

Pardons are specifically provided for in the US Constitution and are supposed to be more political than legal. We have them for cases like the Civil War or the Whiskey Rebellion, so we can forgive people for their offenses and move forward. Ford pardoning Nixon is another good example.

IMO Presidents should have damn near blanket pardons for anything they do in office, with only certain offenses being unpardonable.
                            "The great questions of the day will not be settled by means of speeches and majority decisions but by iron and blood"-Otto Von Bismarck

Comment

• Originally posted by astralis View Post
                              the entire premise behind Trump's talk of pardons is that only Congress has the ability to administer justice with respect to the President through impeachment.

and Trump knows that impeachment is every bit as much of a political process as it is a legal one, and that Republicans in Congress will never vote for impeachment as long as Trump is the most popular figure in the GOP.
                              Lots of talk lately about whether Trump can pardon himself or not.

Let's say Trump makes it to the end of his term without having been impeached. Let's also say he loses to a Democrat in the 2020 elections. Let's further say he cannot pardon himself, and faces legal jeopardy after the end of his term.

He could always resign on January 19th, 2021 and have Pence, President-for-a-Day, pardon him.
                              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

• Originally posted by GVChamp View Post
                                IMO Presidents should have damn near blanket pardons for anything they do in office, with only certain offenses being unpardonable.
                                Basically the total opposite of rule by law.
                                “He was the most prodigious personification of all human inferiorities. He was an utterly incapable, unadapted, irresponsible, psychopathic personality, full of empty, infantile fantasies, but cursed with the keen intuition of a rat or a guttersnipe. He represented the shadow, the inferior part of everybody’s personality, in an overwhelming degree, and this was another reason why they fell for him.”

Comment

Working...
                                X