Page 57 of 76 FirstFirst ... 48495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 841 to 855 of 1138

Thread: Ex-FBI Director Mueller appointed DOJ Special Counsel

  1. #841
    Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    11 Sep 10
    Location
    Bangalore
    Posts
    9,937
    Quote Originally Posted by Parihaka View Post
    No need to be afraid, things are considerably better than they were two years ago. Of the grand juries empaneled, we know of McCabe and Baker. It's extraordinarily unlikely that Comey and Brennan are not also under active investigation. With the Mueller entrapment scheme consigned to the dust bin, the OIG and Huber can now move forward without 'compromising' Mueller's investigation.
    Trump's aim is to go after the previous Whitehouse administration's illegalities but that's secondary: primarily because of their blanket immunities they gave themselves so they can only be charged with perjury, and secondly because Obama has been and always will be nothing more than a spoiled child.
    The primary purpose of both Horowitz and Huber is to look for treason. Both the Dems and the rump Republicans such as McConnell and Graham will try and undermine the OIG and Huber as much as possible in the same way as Goudy did due to their, in the Republicans mindset, desire to protect the institutions from irreparable harm.
    That's nonsense of course as the harm has already been done. The ideal is at least Brennan deservedly swinging from a gibbet, but the two tied probabilities are Comey, Baker et al doing a bit of time or a bit of public disgrace along the lines of Goudy's/Nunes investigations with nothing of substance coming of it. On the public record for historians basically.
    As Trump said "This can never, ever happen to a president again. That was a disgrace and an embarrassment to our country. ... Hopefully they won't get away with it.
    "We'll have to see how it all started, but I'm going to leave that to other people, including the attorney general and others, to make that determination. .... 50 years, 100 years from now -- if someone tries the same thing, they have to know the penalty will be very very great if and when they get caught."
    Haha and the dirty kiwi is back : D

    I see the similarities with my own country. People wondered why earlier scams weren't being prosecuted and it turns out that there are important civil servants that have dirt on both sides so those people are kept and its business as usual just less blatant.
    Last edited by Double Edge; 28 Mar 19, at 12:14.

  2. #842
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    15,003
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    No one country can unilaterally change international borders.
    Actually... NATO did in Kosovo. Thy claimed the serbs were aggressors and forfeited claim. Russia did it in South Ossetia, same claim. Russia did it in the Ukraine based historical irredentism and strategic need. Russia did a number on Poland and Prussia in 1945. The US claimed an awful lot of beach front property in the Pacific at the same time. Syria was an agressor state in 67 and 73 and under existing precedent forfeited claim to territory used for aggression. Its kinda hard to argue that Syria's territory remains inviolate when they invade another. What makes them different from Germany or Japan?

  3. #843
    Staff Emeritus
    Military Professional
    Contrary by Nature.
    zraver's Avatar
    Join Date
    22 Oct 06
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    15,003
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    i would be outraged if the FBI/US intel agencies focus was on "defeating Trump and upholding their own domestic priorities."
    The Paige/Strozk memos indicate that is exactly what was happening. Wheres the outrage? So far the only proven collusion was HRC using an illegal 3rd party cut out to hire a Brit to work Russian sources for material to use against Trump. Yet we just spent 2 years watching Mueller studiously ignore that Russian meddling.

    i would also be outraged if the FBI/US intel agencies focus on "damage control to a sitting US president."
    You man the way the FBI and DoJ have stuck thier head in the sand about all the unmasking taking place in the final days of the Obama admin?

    those agencies are not tasked with either objective.
    Nope, they are not, wheres the outrage?



    frankly it's not clear to me that this report has any major impact on international politics whatsoever. nations follow their self-interest. most nations subscribe to the US-led world order because it is in their interests to do so.
    Yup

  4. #844
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Oct 06
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    you're confusing the left's wet dreams with the practical politics of the Democratic Party.

    recall your original assessment is that the Democratic Party is "trying to over throw an election and remove a sitting president for there own benefit."

    my rejoinder is that the -Party- has taken not taken -any- steps towards impeachment.

    indeed, outside the fact that Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer can count to 67 (ie the number of votes needed to convict in the Senate), there's another can of political worms in that Trump in office is GREAT for bringing out the Dem masses and that correspondingly, any real attempt to impeach the President would also bring out the GOP masses in defense as well.

    BTW, i agree with your -original- argument to montgomery, ie the idea that the US body politic is rallying around the flag is ludicrous.
    i'm not confusing the lefts wet dream for anything.

    i'm telling you what is being said and what is being pushed, and has been for two years. We can get into some other nuanced conversation about things more specifically and what they will and wont do, or cant do, but there is zero denying the fact that the left has been pushing that agenda since day one, they just cant follow thru with it.

  5. #845
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Oct 06
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    I don't consider any conversation is confined to two people. So again, what point?
    its not, but if you want to jump into a conversation between two people, don't insult the one you are asking questions of, and put some effort into it on your end.

  6. #846
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    13,975
    bfng,

    i'm not confusing the lefts wet dream for anything.

    i'm telling you what is being said and what is being pushed, and has been for two years. We can get into some other nuanced conversation about things more specifically and what they will and wont do, or cant do, but there is zero denying the fact that the left has been pushing that agenda since day one, they just cant follow thru with it.
    bottom-line, to date there's nothing of any substance being "pushed" for two years. when Gingrich was -pushing- for impeachment, he took concrete political actions to remove President Clinton from power. the House of Representatives impeached Clinton.

    there's nothing similar here for the Democratic side. in fact, Nancy Pelosi has gone out of her way to talk down the left-wing Representatives and re-assert her control over the process.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  7. #847
    Administrator
    Lei Feng Protege
    Defense Professional
    Join Date
    23 Aug 05
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Posts
    13,975
    The Paige/Strozk memos indicate that is exactly what was happening. Wheres the outrage? So far the only proven collusion was HRC using an illegal 3rd party cut out to hire a Brit to work Russian sources for material to use against Trump. Yet we just spent 2 years watching Mueller studiously ignore that Russian meddling.
    either the DOJ is a legitimate organization executing American laws and providing the justice in its name, or its an illegitimate deep-state organization trying to unseat a sitting President.

    and if it is the latter, then one must wonder why President Trump is gleefully quoting Robert Mueller and calling him honorable right now.
    Last edited by astralis; 28 Mar 19, at 17:28.
    There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

  8. #848
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Oct 06
    Posts
    788
    Quote Originally Posted by astralis View Post
    either the DOJ is a legitimate organization executing American laws and providing the justice in its name, or its an illegitimate deep-state organization trying to unseat a sitting President.

    and if it is the latter, then one must wonder why President Trump is gleefully quoting Robert Mueller and calling him honorable right now.
    you seem to do this a lot.

    take a conversation about a topic and then turn 100% extreme in both directions with 'either' 'or'.

    you do realize most of this falls in the middle somewhere?

    Are Page and Struck and Comey and et all the end all and be all of their organizations?

    because one is corrupt, they must all be corrupt.

    because one is honorable, they must all be honorable.

    why is that? seems to make conversations a bit difficult.

  9. #849
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    5,433
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    Actually... NATO did in Kosovo. Thy claimed the serbs were aggressors and forfeited claim. Russia did it in South Ossetia, same claim. Russia did it in the Ukraine based historical irredentism and strategic need. Russia did a number on Poland and Prussia in 1945. The US claimed an awful lot of beach front property in the Pacific at the same time. Syria was an agressor state in 67 and 73 and under existing precedent forfeited claim to territory used for aggression. Its kinda hard to argue that Syria's territory remains inviolate when they invade another. What makes them different from Germany or Japan?
    Well first I would note that there are differences between being the victim of a neighbours aggression and being the aggressor. I have never agreed with the Kosovo 'independence' recognition as Kosovo was legally a part of Serbia when the Serbs attacked the Albanian populace of the region. Sure it was wrong racially speaking and should have been stopped to prevent a massacre on a worse scale than Srebrenica but it was misguided and most likely illegal to recognise a part of Serbia as independent without Serbian consent.

    I am all too well aware of the 'number' Stalin (and Churchill) did on Poland in 1945 by moving it west; for this reason my family home is now in Western Ukraine. Doesn't bother me that much - at least I got to know how to fight the orcs sooner rather than later and my children will speak the languages of Galicia. This though is precisely why Putin wants another Yalta; to press his territorial claims in Europe and to get recognition of those regions he has aggressively annexed and occupied. Recognising the Israeli claim on the Golan - which is not recognised by the UN - merely helps Putin's case and for that reason I oppose it.

    That does not mean I think Israel should return Golan to Assad, which would evidently be reckless in Syria's current circumstances. I just do not think it should be recognised as Isreali territory as a means of supporting Netanyahu in an election.

  10. #850
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    5,433
    Sorry double post problem.

  11. #851
    Banned Patron
    Join Date
    26 Mar 19
    Location
    vancouver island
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by zraver View Post
    Actually... NATO did in Kosovo. Thy claimed the serbs were aggressors and forfeited claim. Russia did it in South Ossetia, same claim. Russia did it in the Ukraine based historical irredentism and strategic need. Russia did a number on Poland and Prussia in 1945. The US claimed an awful lot of beach front property in the Pacific at the same time. Syria was an agressor state in 67 and 73 and under existing precedent forfeited claim to territory used for aggression. Its kinda hard to argue that Syria's territory remains inviolate when they invade another. What makes them different from Germany or Japan?
    As military professionals will know, Nato is nothing more than a tool of US aggression and the Kosovo war was just more US encroachment on Russia's borders. For that reason alone it makes the US whining about Russia taking the Crimea quite laughable.

    Russia doesn't need that excuse because the Crimea chose to align with Russia anyway. This also largely pertains to Syria and it's choice of aligning with Russia.

    But thank the dogs that the US's string of 40 wars of aggression is coming to an end now that China is rising and Russia is back. Syria is Russia's by choice and Venezuela is also likely safe, as the world is waking up to the real reason why Venezuela's people are suffering.

    What makes them different from Germany or Japan?
    Might makes right, in a nutshell, but there is another much more important factor for arrogant military hawks to understand. In this modern 21st. century world the might of the super-power that has the small country's back has become much more important. This is why the US was stopped in Syria from having itself another phony war like their Iraq war.

    Now that Russia is back with it's nuclear deterrent, it's likely that Venezuela is safe and will be able to choose it's friends and it's own course to freedom from US aggression.

    To the question on how your comments pertained to the topic, I have no idea? But I decided it needed to be answered with a more truthful version.

  12. #852
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    Too much gobbledegoop to comment on
    Translation: You're too lazy to learn.

    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    but I will say that you're irrational in your thinking the US could win a nuclear war Dr. Strangelove!
    Translation: You're too stupid to understand things.

    1) I have never said the US could win a nuclear war against Russia but against China, Israel, India, Pakistan, North Korea? That's a damned well accepted military axiom.

    2) The point remains that the number of nuclear weapons and the megatonage has gone way down since the 1990s to less than 1/7th of its height. MAD is no longer a viable doctrine. Instead, the concept is TO INFLICT UNACCEPTABLE DAMAGE. Only Russia has the capability to inflict UNACCEPTABLE DAMAGE to the US. The rest could at best inflict damage that is extremely regrettable BUT ACCEPTABLE.

    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    But I will ask again: Do you think Russia/Putin is going to listen and heed Trump's demand that Russia leave Venezuela. You didn't answer my question.
    I did. I said the deployment is irrelevant. You want to put a spin on it. Fine. But the resulting military picture is insignificant.

    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    Let's put a wager on it. I say that both Russia and China are going to stay put and eventually bring peace to Venezuela, as was the case in Syria. This will be another example of Russia's win against US plans of aggression.
    Putin? A peace maker? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

    And with 100 men? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH

    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    As was the Cuba missile crisis of course, which was kept a secret for years to save face.
    How does that explain Kruschev who lost face and was ousted?

    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    Settle down Major-minor.
    That's Lieutenant-Colonel, Fart Face.

    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    All you're raising with your arrogance and vitriol is your own blood pressure.
    You have not seen me go full bore yet.

    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    And for the sake of those who want to take a sensible approach to all of this, I'm making the point that the US can't win a war with either Russia or China or both allied together against the US. And vice versa obviously. That is the twisted thinking of our resident Dr. Strangelove. This is the reason why it's a very difficult question to answer on Russia ignoring Trump's demands to leave Venezuela.
    Yeah, we're not going to take your expertise around me, especially when this forum is well versed with military members. You've demonstrated nothing but TV propaganda and ignorance.

    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    My best guess at the moment is that Trump will be told to pull in his horns and shut his ignorant cakehole. But I have to admit that I'm being optimistic and that's because I refuse to think the unthinkable along with Dr. Strangelove!
    It has never occurred to you that there are those who's job was to think Dr Strangelove and beyond. The Canadian Forces was designed to fight WWIII. Because of that, we're not scare of your bullshit claims.

  13. #853
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    12 Aug 08
    Location
    UK/Europe
    Posts
    5,433
    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    As military professionals will know, Nato is nothing more than a tool of US aggression and the Kosovo war was just more US encroachment on Russia's borders. For that reason alone it makes the US whining about Russia taking the Crimea quite laughable.

    Russia doesn't need that excuse because the Crimea chose to align with Russia anyway.

    Which dark rock did you out from under? The Crimean 'referendum' was called by a Party that had not got a single Deputy (MP) in the Ukrainian Rada (Parliament); that got 1% of the vote in the previous election, after Muscovite spetznaz invaded the Crimean Assembley (which there are videos of) and held two weeks later, after several people 'disappeared' and the Crimean Tatar leader been refused entry, under gun point. Crimea is Ukraine.

  14. #854
    Banned Patron
    Join Date
    26 Mar 19
    Location
    vancouver island
    Posts
    225
    Quote Originally Posted by snapper View Post
    Which dark rock did you out from under? The Crimean 'referendum' was called by a Party that had not got a single Deputy (MP) in the Ukrainian Rada (Parliament); that got 1% of the vote in the previous election, after Muscovite spetznaz invaded the Crimean Assembley (which there are videos of) and held two weeks later, after several people 'disappeared' and the Crimean Tatar leader been refused entry, under gun point. Crimea is Ukraine.
    The fact that the people of the Crimea voted over 90% to remain with Russia isn't disputed as far as I know. But I'm not subjected to Nato/US brainwashing so I may have missed it?

    However beside that, there wouldn't have been any doubt in the minds of the US/Nato aggressors that Russia would protect against the West laying claim to the Crimea, for obvious reasons which you will most likely be well aware. This was an instance of US encroachment on Russia's borders being a bridge too far.

    As to the fate of the Ukraine, I can only imagine that the status quo will remain, due to Russia being back on the world scene with it's nuclear deterrent against US aggression. I think that suits well enough too, Russia's interests on the Ukraine for the foreseeable future.

    And I don't even see a possibility of a trade-off for Venezuela. The Ukraine and the Crimea are much too important to Russia's future security.

    The future of small oil rich countries (or resource rich countries) is almost certainly going to be decided on the small country's people's choice in determining which side on which to align itself.

    Which dark rock did you out from under?
    The darkness which was the US/Nato's window of opportunity for world hegemony which which was opened with the fall of the Soviet Union.

    Right up until that window was slammed shut when Russia came back with a voice to be reckoned with! Look to Syria as the new reality, including efforts by the US to unlawfully award the Golan to the Zionist apartheid regime.

    Do you think the sentiments of the UN and the rest of the world will play a part in deciding the fate of the Golan? Or would you say that Syria will allow it to slip away?

  15. #855
    Senior Contributor
    Join Date
    03 Sep 17
    Posts
    1,528
    Quote Originally Posted by montgomery View Post
    As military professionals will know, Nato is nothing more than a tool of US aggression and the Kosovo war was just more US encroachment on Russia's borders. For that reason alone it makes the US whining about Russia taking the Crimea quite laughable.
    You're gone. NATO is the reason we're not speaking Russian. As much as I disagree with the Kosovo War, as an UNPROFOR vet, I will say the killings have stopped. I don't like the political landscape but the killings have stopped. That is an extremely acceptable outcome.

    For you to insult the military membership here to suggest that we're nothing more than thugs following the American lead, your days here are numbered.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Director Comey fired
    By Ironduke in forum American Politics & Economy
    Replies: 456
    Last Post: 17 Jan 20,, 10:18
  2. Somalia: Abdiweli Mohamed Ali appointed prime minister
    By tomkent45 in forum Naval Warfare
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23 Jun 11,, 16:10
  3. A Chat With ISAF's Director Of Intelligence
    By S2 in forum Operation Enduring Freedom and Af-Pak
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05 Nov 09,, 16:57
  4. Dennis Ross appointed NSC senior director
    By Ironduke in forum The Staff College
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 26 Jun 09,, 16:56
  5. Nambiar appointed UN chief of staff
    By Tronic in forum International Politics
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01 Jan 07,, 22:26

Share this thread with friends:

Share this thread with friends:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •