Director Comey fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ironduke View Post
    Lavrov and Putin also troll the Russian press, by assassinating them on a regular basis.

The difference between Putin and Trump at this point, with regards to journalists, is that Putin assassinates journalists on Potapovsky Avenue and many other avenues, and Trump could theoretically get away with (his words, not mine) assassinating someone, perhaps Jake Tapper, on 5th Avenue.
    When he does, get back to me :-)
    In the realm of spirit, seek clarity; in the material world, seek utility.

Leibniz

Comment

Here's the problem, even if Trump has not or will not personally assassinate people.

He speaks words. People, motivated by those very words, have gone out that very night and committed murders, bombings, vandalisms, and various types of terrorist attacks.

Trump speaks. Domestic terrorists are galvanized and motivated, and they have acted in the past, and will continue to act, after Trump speaks words.

Sometimes the terrorist attacks occur practically in real-time after he speaks at a rally or on Twitter, sometimes there's a delay of hours or days.
      Yup, here's a compendium of them for you

http://www.fakehatecrimes.org/fakes?page=1

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by astralis View Post

and if we had a POTUS whose associates were NOT under investigation by the FBI, then i'd say this was a great, statesman-like move-- particularly because it would be seen as giving ammo to the opposition party's claims.

Agree, but... IMHO, Trump should have left Comey in office so Comey would be the one to announce the result of the FBI investigation into whether his campaign people colluded with Russia. If the FBI turns up no evidence of wrongdoing, which I believe is very likely, Comey's announcement to that effect would carry more credibility than any replacement. From here on, no matter who replaces him, his replacement will come under suspicion of a cover-up, should the investigation be closed giving the Trump campaign a clean bill of health.
        Last edited by JAD_333; 11 May 17,, 22:51.
        To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

JAD,

If the FBI turns up no evidence of wrongdoing, which I believe is very likely,
          I know this is not your larger point, but given how even the most cursory investigation resulted in a significant number of leads on Flynn, Stone, Page, and Manafort...i highly doubt this will be the end-state.

indeed, Comey was planning to accelerate the investigation in the days before he got the boot.

From here on, no matter who replaces him, his replacement will come under suspicion of a cover-up, should the investigation be closed giving the Trump campaign a clean bill of health.
          there are a multitude of ways he could address this perception issue of a coverup...you know, the whole independent prosecutor. or an independent commission.

or as a smaller step, just releasing his tax returns.

funny how those steps haven't been taken, eh?
          There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."- Isaac Asimov

Comment

Asty:

Yeah, I'm sure there are lots of ways to hold a credible investigation, and having an independent prosecutor is one, but you know the pitfalls of that route: endless and aimless investigating, and just the name "prosecutor" implies crimes were committed. I trust the Hill and the FBI are capable of a thorough investigation and if the dems don't like it....well, they don't like anything having to do with Trump these days, seeing as how they're too focused on making political hay these days when we really need to focus on running the country.

But to my main point--being a PA guy with an eye toward optics--Trump should not have fired the one guy who could close the investigation into his campaign's connections with Russia without howls of cover-up.
            To be Truly ignorant, Man requires an Education - Plato

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
              When he does, get back to me :-)
              You have a lot to say on this subject, as an outsider who doesn't have anywhere near as much at stake as the Americans commenting on this thread.

I may get back to you, when you move to the United States, take US citizenship, and live the reality of life in this country.

Until then, with regards to these internal matters, as you're merely commenting on things you see on the news, and not things you are experiencing firsthand, I'll be getting back to the Americans who comment on these matters, whatever their political persuasion may be.

If you have comments on external matters - I'll get back to you, as these somewhat might or might not affect you in important ways.
              Last edited by Ironduke; 12 May 17,, 00:35.
              "Every man has his weakness. Mine was always just cigarettes."

Comment

Originally posted by JAD_333 View Post
                But to my main point--being a PA guy with an eye toward optics--Trump should not have fired the one guy who could close the investigation into his campaign's connections with Russia without howls of cover-up.
                Speaking of optics, what do you think of the 3-for-1 Lavrov, Kislayak, Kissinger visit the day after Comey was fired?
                Last edited by Ironduke; 12 May 17,, 01:54.

Comment

I would have more confidence in the inquiries being permitted to operate if it were not for stunts like the Nunes fiasco, Sessions not being an honourable "Friend of Putin" or whatever he is, Comey not being fired, Sally Yates listened to... and well Agent Orange out of the Presidency. Why can he not even release his tax returns? I have smelled this smell many times - the scent is familiar. Sooner these investigations end in impeachment the better for the free world and those in Muscovy who wish for a better life. Trump is deeply compromised - financially and tapes of various peculiar activities. The sooner US conservatives (and I mean real conservatives - not the 'alt right' loonies) understand that and get back on board the ship of what Governing and representing others mean, the less damage they will do to themselves.

Comment

Sergey I. KISLYAK* The guy Flynn discussed dropping sanctions with...

Comment

You have a lot to say on this subject, as an outsider who doesn't have anywhere near as much at stake as the Americans commenting on this thread.

I may get back to you, when you move to the United States, take US citizenship, and live the reality of life in this country.

Until then, with regards to these internal matters, as you're merely commenting on things you see on the news, and not things you are experiencing firsthand, I'll be getting back to the Americans who comment on these matters, whatever their political persuasion may be.

If you have comments on external matters - I'll get back to you, as these somewhat might or might not affect you in important ways.
                      Sure, I look forward to you not commenting on any issues regarding any events past or present occurring outside the borders of the United States of America. :-)

Leibniz

Comment

Originally posted by Parihaka View Post
                        Sure, I look forward to you not commenting on any issues regarding any events past or present occurring outside the borders of the United States of America. :-)
                        Go ahead and comment. It's a question of relevance, substantivity of the remarks, and prioritization, it's nothing personal.

I bowed out of the Brexit thread, as I'm a bystander and the comments I had to offer were those of an outsider, and I'm not as directly affected as the major commentators in the thread.
                        Last edited by Ironduke; 12 May 17,, 01:40.

Comment

Originally posted by NUS View Post
                          Or perhaps you should find out yourself what really happened, not the bullshit you've been fed trough your "press". No journalists were allowed, only personal photographers of Trump and Lavrov. Trump did not released the photo, Lavrov did.
                          So those weren't Russian journalists photographing Trump with Lavrov and Kislayak, rather, it was Lavrov/Kislayak's personal photographers. Like that somehow makes everything OK.

Having the "personal photographer" of the Russian Foreign Minister in the White House strikes me as being even worse than it being an RT or other Kremlin-funded mouthpiece photojournalist.

Knowing what I do about the Russians, Lavrov's personal photographer was probably an SVR agent. In the White House. With a camera.

Comment

Here's the problem, even if Trump has not or will not personally assassinate people.

He speaks words. People, motivated by those very words, have gone out that very night and committed murders, bombings, vandalisms, and various types of terrorist attacks.

Trump speaks. Domestic terrorists are galvanized and motivated, and they have acted in the past, and will continue to act, after Trump speaks words.

Sometimes the terrorist attacks occur practically in real-time after he speaks at a rally or on Twitter, sometimes there's a delay of hours or days.
                            That is not fair, almost all of the political violence in the country flows Left to Right, not Right to Left. Name a Trump supporter who killed or bombed?

Comment

Originally posted by zraver View Post
                              That is not fair, almost all of the political violence in the country flows Left to Right, not Right to Left.
                              Can you substantiate that?

Comment

Speaking of optics, what do you think of the 3-for-1 Lavrov, Kislayak, Kissinger visit the day after Comey was fired?
                                Poland, Baltics, Syria, North Korea, Ukraine are all places where US and Russian troops are in the same tactical theater.

Comment

Working...
                                X