Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122

Thread: CPEC and Developments

Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    This is about resource sharing. China can exploit all they want so long as some of the proceeds make its way back to the local communities.

This reminds me of the 80's and separatists in Assam wanting independence because oil was found there. How is Digboi doing these days ?
    Nobody wanted independence. Oil was a bone of contention between the Central government vs the State government and the Assam Oil Company since independence. The agitation against outsiders were there since the 70s. By outsiders I mean Indians who aren't from Assam but who controlled Assam's economy. For e.g., Sikhs had a strong presence and controlling power when tea was auctioned. Oil too as you mentioned. In 1979, AASU started their protests against outsiders, but in a few months RSS hijacked it to an agitation against the illegal Bangladeshis. It's politics, but the catalyst and end reasons are always economic.

ULFA was formed in 1979 too, and yes they wanted independence. Independence! Hell yeah! Independence. :D :D :D

Digboi is a nice place. Not heard anything contradictory in years.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles!

Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain!

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    By outsiders I mean Indians who aren't from Assam but who controlled Assam's economy. For e.g., Sikhs had a strong presence and controlling power when tea was auctioned. Oil too as you mentioned.

It's politics, but the catalyst and end reasons are always economic.
    Sounds similar to what's going on in Balochistan wouldn't you say. Outsiders there are Punjabis too.

Similar problems in Burma as well against Indians & Chinese. Again the same in Uganda when Amin kicked the Indians out.

In 1979, AASU started their protests against outsiders, but in a few months RSS hijacked it to an agitation against the illegal Bangladeshis.
    Didn't realise the RSS got in that early. They only got rehabilitated when the Janata govt came to power after being in the deep freeze since Gandhi's assassination.

ULFA was formed in 1979 too, and yes they wanted independence. Independence! Hell yeah! Independence. :D :D :D
    These would be the separatists i heard about

Digboi is a nice place. Not heard anything contradictory in years.
    Oil fields were there i thought, that is why i mentioned it.
    Last edited by Double Edge; Today at 10:26.

Sounds similar to what's going on in Balochistan wouldn't you say. Outsiders there are Punjabis too.

Similar problems in Burma as well against Indians & Chinese. Again the same in Uganda when Amin kicked the Indians out.
    Yeah. The thing is the Government more or less backs down in India. Balochistan and PA are different matters altogether. It has been the primary tactic of the PA to flood Punjabi Sunnis in areas to make their domination hold, like for e.g., Balochistan or PoK, and now they frequently talk about 'referendum', forgetting the 1972 Shimla treaty. Referendum? Yeah, over your dead body jihadis. And nothing flows back into Balochistan, not for the Balochis, as far as I know.

Didn't realise the RSS got in that early. They only got rehabilitated when the Janata govt came to power after being in the deep freeze since Gandhi's assassination.
    Stealth mode. :D

After the emergency, not assassination.

These would be the separatists i heard about
    Separatists? These are terrorists. Criminals of the highest order who killed hundreds of innocent men, women and children. F them. I know many, among them a guy, younger than me, whose father ULFA kidnapped. His family never got to see his dead body. His mom still wears sindoor on her forehead. My blood boils, when I remember these incidents.

Oil fields were there i thought, that is why i mentioned it.
    Correct. Crude and refinery. Haven't visited that place though. But people say it's a very nice tourist spot. You heard about the NRC process?

Edited: I forgot about Chinese & Pakistani state support to ULFA during its heydays. Some American too I'd assume?
    Last edited by Oracle; Today at 13:48.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - Albany Rifles!

Loyalty to country always. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it - Mark Twain!

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Yeah. The thing is the Government more or less backs down in India.
    So do Sikhs still have a controlling presence when tea is auctioned ? how has the influence of these 'outsider' Indians changed over the years.

Balochistan and PA are different matters altogether. It has been the primary tactic of the PA to flood Punjabi Sunnis in areas to make their domination hold, like for e.g., Balochistan or PoK, and now they frequently talk about 'referendum', forgetting the 1972 Shimla treaty. Referendum? Yeah, over your dead body jihadis. And nothing flows back into Balochistan, not for the Balochis, as far as I know.
    That referendum thing only came out by the caretaker govt. It's as if nobody wanted to take any ownership. I wonder if the same Shimla treaty prevents us from repealing article 370. We've discussed it befre but never was the Shimla treaty mentioned in the same context.

Stealth mode. :D

After the emergency, not assassination.
    yes after emergency they got rejuvenated its just surprising they moved so quickly only a few years later and into Assam. You would know this better but i thought it occurred later maybe twenty years later.

Separatists? These are terrorists. Criminals of the highest order who killed hundreds of innocent men, women and children. F them. I know many, among them a guy, younger than me, whose father ULFA kidnapped. His family never got to see his dead body. His mom still wears sindoor on her forehead. My blood boils, when I remember these incidents.
    Quite a messy battle where we had to recruit other terrorists to go after ULFA

You heard about the NRC process?
    yes, still getting my head around it and there are calls to extend it to other states so the rest of the country as well

Thread Information