Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920

Thread: CPEC and Developments

Senior Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Edge View Post
    Sri Lanka is no longer considered high risk. They've learnt their lesson. Does not help to be on the FATF greylist
    Yes, I understand. Hambantota is Chinese real-estate.
    Politicians are elected to serve...far too many don't see it that way - AR

Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it!

Senior Contributor
    Girl goes missing in Shanghai after splashing ink on Xi Jinping picture

There is a lesson for all of us who live in democratic countries in this video. This tyranny amazes me.

Girl who threw ink on Chinese Prez Xi's picture goes missing

A girl who live-streamed a video of her splashing ink on Chinese President Xi Jinping's picture has gone missing. "I oppose the tyranny of Xi Jinping's dictatorship and the brain-control oppression imposed on me by the Chinese Communist Party," the girl said in the video. She had also posted images of uniformed men outside her home on Twitter.
    Last edited by Oracle; 09 Jul 18, at 13:39.

Turbanator Senior Contributor Double Edge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
    Girl goes missing in Shanghai after splashing ink on Xi Jinping picture

There is a lesson for all of us who live in democratic countries in this video. This tyranny amazes me.

Girl who threw ink on Chinese Prez Xi's picture goes missing
    her twitter account is gone but a google cache is available

She decided to do this protest on Jul 4th, she has new york taped on her chest twice.

Yes, I understand. Hambantota is Chinese real-estate.
    And ? will they turn it into another Hong Kong or lose interest in another 15 - 20yr

Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher View Post
    I'll be surprised if China bothers keeping that concession for 15, or 20 years at the most. The idea is to use it in that time to leverate the locals to use Chinese industrial and engineering standards, have Chinese companies be the preferred source of ToT, go to Chinese higher education for graduate studies and local exporters focus on selling to China.
    Beauty of this 15-20 yr thing is you can predict anything : D

Senior Contributor
    her twitter account is gone but a google cache is available

She decided to do this protest on Jul 4th, she has new york taped on her chest twice.
    She is very young. The kind of women who can stir up a revolution. Thanks for the cached Twitter page. I took screenshots from that account to post it here.

Name:  1.png
Views: 41
Size:  834.6 KB

Name:  2.png
Size:  639.9 KB

Name:  3.png
Size:  898.1 KB

Name:  4.png
Size:  971.5 KB

Name:  5.png
Size:  564.5 KB

Senior Contributor
    And ? will they turn it into another Hong Kong or lose interest in another 15 - 20yr
    The Chinese paid for it. Its main purpose is strategic. Though I doubt it will have any leverage on INs war plans. That port will be the first to be bombed, alongwith <coughhhh>, one to the North-West/North.

The Chinese paid for it. Its main purpose is strategic. Though I doubt it will have any leverage on INs war plans.
    Then what strategic value does it have left. Same with the Maldives. That is my point.

Chinese will move on after they have managed to get whatever they put in back aka what Skywatcher said

Senior Contributor
    Then what strategic value does it have left. Same with the Maldives. That is my point.

Chinese will move on after they have managed to get whatever they put in back aka what Skywatcher said
    The Chinese are thinking 15 years down the line. I am thinking 15 years down the line. Experts are thinking 15 years down the line. What is wrong with you?

The Chinese are thinking 15 years down the line. I am thinking 15 years down the line. Experts are thinking 15 years down the line. What is wrong with you?
    There is no thinking going on here. That is the problem. Some one comes up with a scare story and everybody parrots it. Repeat it enough times and its a fact as Goebbels said.

'Strategic' is a meaningless word unless defined. It's short for 'i don't know but it can't be good i just can't tell you how' : )

Listening stations that's what they can do and what we're doing. We can see what the other is doing. This is good isn't it, no surprises either way. Anything undesirable can be flagged before it becomes an issue.

Years ago when the things were kicking off in the China seas, i wondered why they were opposing FONOPS. They weren't opposing commercial vessels, it was the military ones they wanted far off. Because they said the Americans were spying on them. So militarising those islands is a way to deter FONOPS hence no spying or pushes military ships far out enough that they cannot spy. The Americans just ignored this complaint and continued insisting on freedom of navigation. We don't hear that these days rather what we hear are more countries also insisting on freedom of navigation.

Why do they oppose THAAD, because the radars can see into China.

So this ability by another looking into their space is the problem. So it would seem is the case with us and others when China sets up shop nearby.

We don't want a military presence nearby no matter how small.

Without war breaking out there is this constant limiting factor, apparently.

I suppose the analogy is how would you like it if there was some stranger parked opposite your house or in other ways conducting surveillance. You become uneasy and confront them at some point. Does that analogy work at the country level ? No.

Countries conduct espionage as a matter of course any how the moment satellites were able. Everybody watches and listens to the other so there is some parity
    Last edited by Double Edge; 10 Jul 18, at 07:39.

A long read, but useful summary of what we've said here for a while now

China-Pakistan Economic Corridor: Opportunities and Risks | Crisis Group | Jun 29 2018

This report examines CPEC’s economic and development projects within Pakistan, discusses whether it will bring the broad economic revival that Pakistani leaders claim it will generate, and assesses its political and security costs for Pakistan.

It analyses CPEC’s impact on domestic stability and security, particularly the potential for heightened tensions between the federation and federal units, between Islamabad and Gilgit-Baltistan, and on conflict dynamics within provinces.

It does not analyse in detail Beijing’s Pakistan policy or its options for CPEC. The report is based on interviews with officials, economists, politicians, security analysts, journalists, activists and other stakeholders in the federal capital, Islamabad, as well as in Balochistan, Punjab and Sindh, conducted from November 2017 to January 2018.

Thread Information