X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seems they've had their chips...

Swedish company implants microchips in employees

April 4, 2017

(UPI) -- About 150 employees the Swedish technology firm Epicenter agreed to have a microchip inserted in their hands, the company said.

The RFID, or radio frequency identification chip, is about the size of a grain of rice and will allow workers at the company to open doors automatically and use electronic devices more efficiently. The chip is implanted in an employee's hand.

"You can do airline fares with it, you can also go to your local gym, so it basically replaces a lot of things you have other communication devices for, whether it be credit cards, or keys, or things like that. It's an implant in the hand that enables them to digitize professional information and communicate with devices both personal and within Epicenter. Once 'chipped' with this technology, members can interact with the building with a simple swipe of the hand. Chips can also be programmed to hold contact information and talk to smartphone apps," Epicenter co-founder Patrick Mesterton told the Australian Broadcasting Company.

It can also count bathroom breaks, identify an employee's location and track cafeteria purchases, leading to invasion of privacy incidents and data collections.

Sandra Hoglof, employed by Epicenter subsidiary Eventomatic, said he had the chip inserted to be "part of the future,' adding, "I usually use a lot of things, like my keys, so this will give me access and help me a lot more."

Comment

Working...
    X