No announcement yet.

The battle of Brexit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The day Boris Johnson stands on a tank to oppose a coup by a regime that has killed millions in Gulags I might acknowledge his bravery.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
      The day Boris Johnson stands on a tank to oppose a coup by a regime that has killed millions in Gulags I might acknowledge his bravery.
      Yeltsin didn't do that either

Comment

There was supposed to a supper for him. The Embassy didn't let him go. The then Ambassador gave his excuses... "not feeling well", "ate something" etc... "Tired and emotional" was what the Secretary told me which is a HoC euphemism for drunk. He'd apparently hit the spirits as soon as he got off the plane and continued over lunch and all afternoon. 'Bullie Bullie Bullie' and all that.

He can get drunk with his Bullingdon Club pals on his own time, not when he is being payed and entrusted to represent his country abroad. Suppose someone working in a shop doesn't turn up for work because they are drunk; if you own the shop is that ok? You want to get drunk? Fine but when it interferes with your work your employer - and in Boris' case that is you - has a right and would be wise to fire him. Any other diplomat would be recalled pdq for such behaviour.
        Churchill was pissed most of the time, some of his best speech's and come backs were while intoxicated....Still our best leader!

Comment

• Leo Varadkar talked about the Irish-UK post-brexit trade border today with very ... not-much-saying words in an interview on Sky News.

While standing with the camera team and interviewer in a port such that immediately behind him was the wet border to the water. They even got some stormy winds to ruffle the two of them at about every point the border came up.

Comment

• here is is..

Was that a veiled threat to veto the move to trade negotiations without a written guarantee and explanation from the British government how to achieve no border?

Comment

• BJ is half the man that either Churchill or Yeltsin was. When you can have a drink and be friendly fine - at Ambassadorial events it happens - I have attended Champagne Breakfasts with waffles and maple syrup at Canada House in London, and many others abroad but I played my part and did not get drunk; you sip and drink lots of water. When the Embassy has to make to excuses for Foreign Secretary it is beyond the pale. I used to like a drink before I became pregnant but not so that I couldn't make a meeting or event; normally for a supper they will serve wine anyway. When you are working on behalf of your country that is not excusable in my view. Just not on and I am sure you would not excuse some employee for the same conduct.

Comment

BJ is half the man that either Churchill or Yeltsin was. When you can have a drink and be friendly fine - at Ambassadorial events it happens - I have attended Champagne Breakfasts with waffles and maple syrup at Canada House in London, and many others abroad but I played my part and did not get drunk; you sip and drink lots of water. When the Embassy has to make to excuses for Foreign Secretary it is beyond the pale. I used to like a drink before I became pregnant but not so that I couldn't make a meeting or event; normally for a supper they will serve wine anyway. When you are working on behalf of your country that is not excusable in my view. Just not on and I am sure you would not excuse some employee for the same conduct.
                With the way the British media pounce I find it very hard to believe Boris has a drinking problem ....just doesn't sound plausible...

To be honest Yeltsin shouldn't be used in the same breath as Churchill....Yeltsin was a complete disaster!
                Last edited by Toby; 18 Nov 17,, 02:54.

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
                  here is is..

Was that a veiled threat to veto the move to trade negotiations without a written guarantee and explanation from the British government how to achieve no border?
                  At the end of the day the R. Ireland went its own way and now the UK has done similar. You didn't want to be a apart of the UK club and we don't want to be apart of the the EU club..so get use it!!!

Comment

Meanwhile, May in her interview was standing with a distance between her and some union member flags in the background. With someone looking like a guard standing halfway inbetween.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
                      At the end of the day the R. Ireland went its own way and now the UK has done similar. You didn't want to be a apart of the UK club and we don't want to be apart of the the EU club..so get use it!!!
                      Hes not telling the UK not to leave, that was the will of the Politburo. Hes telling them they need to explain how they expect to implement the non-border they promised the voters. I think the brexiteers need to understand that post-brexit, Ireland will not be the weak neighbour that they can push around anymore. The continent of Europe will be supporting Ireland in any disputes with the British, and thst clearly includes the good friday agreement.
                      Last edited by zara; 19 Nov 17,, 17:15.

Comment

Hes not telling the UK not to leave, that was the will of the Politburo. Hes telling them they need to explain how they expect to implement the non-border they promised the voters. I think the brexiteers need to understand that post-brexit, Ireland will not be the weak neighbour that they can push around anymore. The continent of Europe will be supporting Ireland in any disputes with the British, and thst clearly includes the good friday agreement.
                        Quite frankly I'm sick to death of everybody else's cry baby mentality. Just pull out and then we'll see whose first in line wanting a trade deal. Because I tell you what it won't be the EU ....

Comment

• So the government has agreed to the financial settlement.

I wonder if Irelands threat to scupper the move to phase 2 talks was orchistrated to get the UK to up its offer..

Should find out in the next few days if Varadkar was bluffing or not.

Either way, the EU negotiators are running rings around the UK.

Comment

• From what I have read about this 'breakthrough' the basic formula for agreement on a financial settlement is agreed though whether this be on a 5yr or 7yr budgetary term remains to be resolved. If they had put £40 - £60b to be payed before we can start talking trade on the side of a bus instead of their lies I doubt the referendum would have resulted as it did. The British public were lied to and mislead by Brits and Moscow - it is time to say there should be another vote on the final deal - if any.

Comment

• In line with how this thread started:
                              Originally posted by Toby View Post
                              Let battle commence
                              The Guardian now calls it. Brexiters nowhere to be seen as UK raises white flag.

Not that i'd agree with that statement. A white flag should include pulling back to the wet border.

Comment

• That will come with the Irish deal. Of course the reason why they want a hard border is stop all the migrant workers ("scroungers") who work for the NHS and pick all the fruit and vegetables etc... but they also want a soft a border in Ireland which kind of buggers that up - migrants will just migrate via Ireland. No matter what 'hard border' (or wall) you put in place people will find a way around it; no wall ever worked - even in Berlin. You will just end up with more illegal workers who are working off the cards for a lower than minimum wage and lowering the wage growth further.

Comment

Working...
                                X