The battle of Brexit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
    So what is holding this referendum back then ? if 20 polls show there isn't sufficient support to join then it should be a safe bet.
    I don't see sufficient interest or a need. But thats just my opinion

There is no requirement to have a referendum, parliament is empowered to make policy already. Entirely democratic. Where it is undemocratic is when parliament has no say and voting is just cosmetic.
    UK has an unwritten constitution. There may have been no legal basis for having a referendum, but morally it was correct and I am fully aware that the result wasn't legally binding but Parliament can ignore the result at its peril.

Scepticism was there no doubt which is why he should have been cautious about letting this go to a referendum.
    Like kick the can down the road as they had been doing already

The lesson for other democracies here is be wary about referendums unless prepared to deal with the consequences. And those consequences are what the Brits will be living with from now on.
    As I said Iceland is prospering outside the EU and so is Norway. UK has never been insular except through its membership of the EU. I certainly wouldn't go for a customs union either, no point leaving in the first place plus The UK doesn't need one. Zero tariff barriers with no border checks on UK side of Irish border and if Spain wants Gibraltar let them buy it back, they can turn it into another resort for the English ....it could be the English province of Spain like Hong Kong is in China with an autonomous gov...

Comment

• England has become burden for EU. Brexit, of course, has never been a British dilemma. Almost two weeks after 29 of march, are they really considered still a member, regardless the vote to leave? Asking for another extension, really, are they

Comment

• lol...yeh sure the EU are desperate to lose £10 billion every year that only Germany can replace because all the other EU states are on the take or bust. Of course they want to lose this money its obvious. The UK a country with 5 million EU migrant citizens in jobs getting paid of course they don't want the UK in the EU.....dream on!

Comment

• Margaritis Schinas tried to ask it in a spicy mood as if in Westminster have to answer what they really really want. While it had already been clear this is more like punk rock, sort of the clash vibration
          https://youtu.be/BN1WwnEDWAM

Comment

• Originally posted by Freyr View Post
            lol...yeh sure the EU are desperate to lose £10 billion every year that only Germany can replace because all the other EU states are on the take or bust. Of course they want to lose this money its obvious. The UK a country with 5 million EU migrant citizens in jobs getting paid of course they don't want the UK in the EU.....dream on!
            A farmer named Sam was overseeing his herd in a remote hilly pasture in Hereford when suddenly a brand-new BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust.
            The driver, a young man in a Brioni® suit, Gucci® shoes, RayBan® sunglasses and YSL® tie, leaned out the window and asked the farmer, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"

Sam looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing animals and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"
            The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell® notebook computer, connects it to his Cingular RAZR V3® cell phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.
            The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany.

Within seconds, he receives an email on his Palm Pilot® that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL® database through an ODBC connected Excel® spreadsheet with email on his Blackberry® and, after a few minutes, receives a response.

Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on his hi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet® printer, turns to the Farmer and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."

"That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Sam.

He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.
            Then Sam says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"
            The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"

"You're a Member of the European Parliament", says Sam.

"Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, "but how did you guess that?"

"No guessing required." answered Sam. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of pounds worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know a thing about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter. This is a herd of sheep. Now give me back my dog.

AND THAT Friends IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE EU.

Comment

• EU strategy?

Comment

• AND THAT Friends IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS WITH THE EU.
                lol, you can almost date that joke by what was mentioned in it, early 2000s

Comment

• Originally posted by tankie View Post
                  I for one welcome those consequences , WTO all the way *uck tusk juncker verhofstadt and the rest of the corrupt wankers .
                  Not saying Brexit is consequences

Saying your leaders being caught with their pants down because they didn't expect a brexit vote and then running pillar to post is consequences.

Basically your lot depends on how well they can handle this affair

How well have they done so far ?

Comment

Labour or Tory, treaties were signed without asking the electorate in a referendum, which is what they did in Ireland (they held a referendum)...completely undemocratic and the resentment festered for decades..Half my family are British so I heard this regularly in discussion
                    Welcome to representative democracy - I believe you have been living under it longest.

Comment

• Originally posted by Double Edge View Post
                      Not saying Brexit is consequences

Saying your leaders being caught with their pants down because they didn't expect a brexit vote and then running pillar to post is consequences.

Basically your lot depends on how well they can handle this affair

How well have they done so far ?
                      Would you agree that in the end, Brexit must be?

The UK has no choice but to align with the US now that sides are being chosen.

For you to consider: Trump is nothing more than a figurehead and a puppet whose strings are being manipulated by much wiser heads. Inasmuch as Trump can't be trusted to convey a message, he just blurts out nonsense that is close enough to the party (US party) line.

He's of no strategic importance in the least and it's only a matter of getting through their election in November which will then allow the two major parties to come together on totally demonizing Russia, which will promote the hate amongst the American people.

I'm of the opinion that before that election, Trump will have to be sacrificed and taken down for the greater cause. It's just a question of whether conventional political methods can do the job or they will have to resort to the Kennedy solution?

Your parting thoughts? shots?

Comment

• Wow! So back to Brexit.....

The UK voted to leave in a referendum and from I can understand just want to govern themselves and have a good trade deal with the EU, so whats the problem?

I fail to understand why this means the UK is becoming isolationist. If anything its the opposite and gets them out of the claustrophobic constraints of EU rules

Welcome to representative democracy - I believe you have been living under it longest
                        Isn't that what Ireland have?

Comment

I fail to understand why this means the UK is becoming isolationist. If anything its the opposite and gets them out of the claustrophobic constraints of EU rules
                          Agree, no more lounging round the euro back yard any more. Brits are going to have to become more international now.

They will have to adopt a Aussie+kiwi mindset of frontiers people

Comment

Agree, no more lounging round the euro back yard any more. Brits are going to have to become more international now.

Comment

• A post from elsewhere but sums it up for me

I'm re-sharing this from Betsy MacKay, who has researched the inner workings of the EU for her Masters Degree. First shared before the referendum. This is a superb piece about the EU, which everyone should read.
                              " I, probably like most of my generation, knew very little about the EU. I had done a Masters degree in the 70s; brought up my family, and by the early 2000s was ready to return to University. I was privileged to return to University to complete a Second Masters Degree; this time in European Policy, European Law and European Economic Analysis.
                              Words cannot describe the horror I felt as I delved into the truth of the EU. Sends shivers down my spine to this day, remembering the horror of the realisation that we had been hoodwinked into the EU by deceitful, disingenuous, intentionally devious means. The populace of the UK was never intended to find out the truth behind the EU, until they reckoned it was too late.
                              Truth is it almost....almost...almost is too late.
                              We already are, in the UK, all but a federal state in the United States of Europe. You never quite realised that, did you? Why? Because they very deliberately decided not to tell you. They deliberately created a political elite who knew full well that power was being ceded, systematically, Treaty by Treaty, to the EU. But who knew? They did!
                              But were we the UK populace ever informed? Absolutely not! Why? They made mega millions from EU scammery & we the minions were shafted day, daily, monthly, yearly & forever.
                              Where did your pensions go? Where did your schools, your NHS, your housing, your social services go? Well, £55 million per day, every day, every week, every month, every year..... Guess what? That is why UK is bankrupted for generations to come, with a £1.5 trillion pound debt.
                              I wish I could enlighten the populace of the UK to the real truth about the EU. I spent a year studying the EU in depth, visiting both the EU Parliament and EU Commission in Brussels. Every word I heard in lectures, hundreds of hours of lectures, every word I researched for my thesis and every thing I saw in Brussels, lead me to the inescapable conclusion that the EU is an utterly corrupt, profligate, political monstrosity which has destroyed British jobs and bankrupted the UK for generations to come.
                              The EU operates on lobbying, which is the technical term for bribery and corruption. Whatever Cameron says, EU law has supremacy over our UK law unless there is Treaty change. He may say so but the truth is that 27 other countries will never agree, this side of eternity, to change the Treaties.
                              So …..what is the connection between the EU, the Bilderberg Group and the almost completed TTIP? (Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership)
                              The Bilderberg Group meet in secret each year and they are a group of phenomenally wealthy men and women from the worlds of big business, banking and politics, coming from across Europe and the US.
                              The TTIP represents an integral component of Bilderberg’s attempt to rescue the New World Order by creating a “world company,” initially a free trade area, which would connect the United States with Europe.
                              Just as the European Union started as a mere free trade area and was eventually transformed into a political federation which controls upwards of 50 per cent of its member states’ laws and regulations with total contempt for national sovereignty and democracy, TTIP is designed to accomplish the same goal, only on a bigger scale.
                              The treaty is likely to advantage the corporations of both the US and the EU, while disadvantaging their people. It presents a danger to democracy and public protection throughout the trading area.
                              The Bilderberg Group are focussing on how to derail a global political awakening that threatens to hinder Bilderberg’s long standing agenda to centralize power into a one world political federation, a goal set to be advanced with the passage of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP),
                              Bilderberg globalists are aghast and there is panic in the ranks that their planned EU superstate is being eroded as a result of a populist resistance all around Europe, mainly centred around animosity towards uncontrolled immigration policies.
                              And just who might we expect to find at such a secret gathering? Angela Merkel, Herman Van Rompuy (ex President of EU Council), Jean Claude Juncker, (Present President of the EU Commission), Martin Schultz,( Present President of EU Parliament), David Cameron, George Osbourne, Tony Blair, Ed Balls, Rona Fairhead, (Chair of the BBC Trust), Michael O’Leary of RyanAir, Stuart Rose (ex M & S, and BSE Chairman), Bill Clinton, Barak Obama………..…and many more.
                              What do they all have in common? They are all trying to persuade you to stay in the EU. Why? Because it is in their warped self interest to do so! Is any of this in your interests? Absolutely not! Their modus operandi is that truth becomes lies and lies become truth. Sound familiar?
                              No possible option available, other than to get Out of EU ASAP."
                              This is what your government has been up to for 40 years. Creating wealth and power for them at the expense of the 'slavery' and poverty they have created for us. Theresa May is still doing it by keeping us in deliberately, when we do not need to be.

Comment

• The Bilderbergs : O

Comment

Working...
                                X