No announcement yet.

The battle of Brexit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to imagine clearer indication of a monarch's inability to fulfill hiers responsibilities, than the already proven fact of that monarch's inability to find out which advice to her is lawful and which is unlawful. What majestic is there in such inabilities, at all? Or Elizabeth's will to exercise her power to order prorogation of Parliament was by full extent a deliberate stand within the plan for elimination of further parliamentary impediments over Brexit. In such case, however, with the Supreme court decision and following restart of MP sessions, it becomes even more clear that the monarch has problems to act lawfully so to produce any legal consequences
    Last edited by m a x; 24 Sep 19,, 20:09.

Comment

• Her Majesty the Queen was in no way involved in the court case nor the unlawful advice which her PM gave her.

Comment

• There is no law to cover this .....FACT! How can a judgement be made when no law exists? All we've had is an opinion made by 11 remain judges following no legal precedent, that's two facts in case nobody was counting. The very fact that 11 judges think they have the legal right to make a judgement on something that doesn't concern them in the first place is the real question

Comment

• Lady Hale very clearly states that the constitutional law is subject to the courts stating a judgement of 1611 "the King [who was then the Government] hath no preoperative but that which the law of the land allows it."

Comment

• Parliament has sat for 3 years and achieved NOTHING!..The only reason they want to take their seats is to continue to block and obfuscate the largest democratic vote made in UK history. Its inaccurate to call themselve representative of the people, they are delegates of their parties. The current parliament is not fit for purpose. Mrs Hale and her little gang of busy bodies have reconfirmed the view that the establishment serve themselves and sneer at the will of the people

Comment

• Thank you Freyr for reminding us how skin deep conservative bleating about rule of law & institutions is. If the law & the institutions don't do precisely as you want you throw a giant tantrum and demand they be overridden.

According to British law the Parliament is the expression of the will of the people. No amount of anti-democratic screeching on your part or that of other Brexiteers changes that. Keep stamping your feet, it really is funny.
              sigpic

Win nervously lose tragically - Reds C C

Comment

• Originally posted by Bigfella View Post
                Thank you Freyr for reminding us how skin deep conservative bleating about rule of law & institutions is. If the law & the institutions don't do precisely as you want you throw a giant tantrum and demand they be overridden.

According to British law the Parliament is the expression of the will of the people. No amount of anti-democratic screeching on your part or that of other Brexiteers changes that. Keep stamping your feet, it really is funny.
                Thanks for your concern, but I'll stick to facts, oh and nice try extremely amateurish but nice try!

I think you'll find that article 9 of the Bill of Rights 1689: `freedom of speech and debates or proceedings in Parliament ought not to be impeached or questioned in any court or place out of Parliament'. This is hardly skin deep!

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
                  Lady Hale very clearly states that the constitutional law is subject to the courts stating a judgement of 1611 "the King [who was then the Government] hath no preoperative but that which the law of the land allows it."
                  As i understand it this is the basis of "rule of law".

Any country that follows rule of law permits its citizenry to challenge the govt on this basis. That is, the public can move the courts should govt enact laws or takes actions where it can be argued violate the constitution.

Countries that are "govern by law" ie autocracies do not allow for it.

Was wondering when the courts would jump in, turns out they were not going to wait until after parliament resumed in Oct but got on the case immediately.

So you see kato, legal challenge is not to be taken lightly.
                  Last edited by Double Edge; 25 Sep 19,, 09:27.

Comment

• Again Lady Hale referred to the Government argument relating to article 9 of the Bill of Rights 1689. She set it aside saying that a proroguation is NOT a "proceeding in Parliament" but a proceeding TO Parliament enacted by the Monarch - who does not sit in Parliament.

Comment

• So now parliament is resumed, lets have at it and hammer out a Brexit deal that is acceptable.

Comment

• The Boss sits in parliament when she makes the Queens speech at the opening of Parliament. All Lady Hale has done is complicate and muddy the Proroguing of parliament by making it a matter of legal scrutiny. So basically between the Courts, the MP's and anybody who wants to legally challenge a democratic vote, can screw the country over.

Comment

• Bang on the Money Dom

MPs who refuse to accept the result of the EU referendum should not “complain” about the anger building in Parliament and around the country, the Prime Minister’s most senior adviser has said.

Dominic Cummings said it was “not surprising that some people are angry” about the delay to Brexit and found it “odd” that MPs who caused the impasse were taken aback by it.

Comment

• So a bunch of hysterical MP's on the Labour side of the House scream alot and get all emotional (like they own feeling and emotion) and the PM tells them 'Humbug' . I agree Boris.... and well done for being so polite in the face of such snow flake drama queens!

Comment

• Labour is just a point behind the Tories, that means its neck and neck (!) is Labour the remain party of choice ?

Whatever you do don't elect Corbyn. The Americans are wary and he's already made the wrong moves with India.

Serious turbulence ahead indeed.

Jeremy Corbyn 'could pass US intelligence to Russia', Donald Trump is warned | Telegraph | Sept 14 2019

Jeremy Corbyn could pass classified US intelligence to Russia and Iran if he becomes prime minister, Donald Trump has been warned.

A report, backed by former advisers to the US president, urges Mr Trump to consider withholding sensitive information and even pushing for the country’s Nato membership to be “downgraded” if the Labour leader enters Downing Street.

The analysis, by a Washington DC think tank, highlights the support displayed for Mr Putin by some of Mr Corbyn’s advisers and claims the UK will “cease to become a reliable partner” under his leadership.

It cites Mr Corbyn’s response to the Salisbury attack, as part of which he demanded evidence of Kremlin involvement, and his spokesman suggested any such intelligence could be unreliable because of failures over weapons of mass destruction in Iraq.

The report highlights mounting fears about a Corbyn premiership, amid the likelihood of a general election in the coming months. This week, a ComRes poll for The Telegraph put Labour a point behind the Tories.

The report was written by Dr Azeem Ibrahim, a professor at the US army’s war college, and will be published this week by the Hudson Institute, a think tank at which Mike Pence, the vice- president, delivered a speech last year.

The analysis states that if Labour takes office, there would be a “serious risk that information passed to Corbyn or his allies could be compromised, especially if it involves Russia or Iran”.

It warns that Mr Corbyn could “actively side with Russia” and “block or undermine any actions it sees as inimical to Putin’s interests”.

It would be “prudent” for the US to give “serious consideration to downgrading or even suspending a Corbyn-led government from the Five Eyes intelligence alliance and temporarily demoting its Nato membership.”

Michael Chertoff, secretary of homeland security between 2005 and 2009, said: “This report highlights some very important national security issues around … a Corbyn government which may raise serious turbulence in the US-UK special relationship.”

In a foreword, Sir Malcolm Rifkind, the former foreign secretary, claims that Mr Corbyn “could weaken the UK’s impressive intelligence agencies by depriving them of funds and ordering them to change their priorities”.

The report states that the “implications” of a Mr Corbyn premiership for security and military co-operation between the countries “are substantial”.

A Labour spokesman insisted that Mr Corbyn “will always do whatever is necessary and effective to keep our people safe”. He added: “Jeremy has consistently made the correct calls in the interests of Britain’s security and international peace.”

A Labour source added: “This Right-wing, Republican think tank of course wants to keep Trump’s poodle Boris Johnson in No 10.”
                              I never realised head of opposition questioned Russian involvement in Salisbury. I got into a tiff with a Brit over this. It seemed so familiar to what goes on in my country.
                              Last edited by Double Edge; 15 Oct 19,, 01:34.

Comment

• I’m not saying there wasn’t a democratic mandate for Brexit at the time.

I’m just saying if I narrowly decided to order fish at a restaurant that was known for chicken, but said it was happy to offer fish, and so far I’ve been waiting three hours, and two chefs who promised to cook the fish had quit, and the third one is promising to deliver the fish in the next five minutes whether it’s cooked or not, or indeed still alive, and all the waiting staff have spent the last few hours arguing amongst themselves about whether I wanted battered cod, grilled salmon, jellied eels or dolphin kebabs, and if large parts of the restaurant appeared to be on fire but no one was paying attention to it because they were all arguing about fish, I would quite like, just once, to be asked if I definitely still wanted the fish.

---Hugh Mannerings nails it in one.

https://twitter.com/mannerings69?lang=en
                                Trust me?
                                I'm an economist!

Comment

Working...
                                X