The battle of Brexit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
    So you are happy with a Canada type deal? I thought you wanted a 'bespoke' deal and they would give you that nps because of German cars or some such?
    sort of, but plus + plus plus etc get the drift? and We promise to buy German cars, French Wine, Italian machinery and holiday in Spain and Greece on our part. Although I do like the Irish white pudding and Portuguese port and a few other nick nacks

Comment

• I think that may qualify as "cherry-picking" according to Macron.

Comment

• Originally posted by snapper View Post
        I think that may qualify as "cherry-picking" according to Macron.
        I'm sure the EU will cherry pick as well..........Also I would have freedom of movement with Canada, Australia and New Zealand and look to forming an Anglo Trading block.

Comment

• Looks like you've got an ally in Michael Gove Zara

Michael Gove warns Britain will end up with 'VHS economy' if it heeds business leaders over Brexit

Comment

• So... if it doesn't it's Betamax?

Comment

• Originally posted by kato View Post
              So... if it doesn't it's Betamax?
              Oh look its Kato not Zara....
              You're showing your age now, lol!
              Betamax was the better tech at the time but didn't have the distribution that VHS had. Which is one of the reasons that SONY bought Columbia for any future format that it decided to put money into..least that's what I heard.

Comment

• Originally posted by Toby View Post
                Oh look its Kato not Zara....
                You're showing your age now, lol!
                Betamax was the better tech at the time but didn't have the distribution that VHS had. Which is one of the reasons that SONY bought Columbia for any future format that it decided to put money into..least that's what I heard.
                Genuinely no idea what you are rabbiting about now..

Comment

• Originally posted by zara View Post
                  Genuinely no idea what you are rabbiting about now..
                  Nothing to do with Brexit or the EU mafia
                  Betamax (a SONY product) was the superior product but VHS won the Market place as the Film companies chose VHS over Betamax as the format of Choice ...Which led to SONY buying Columbia pictures.

Comment

• My basic problem with the EU Zara is it supports globalisation, which is doing below zero for anybody not born with a silver spoon rammed down their throat. Long term its a lose lose for anybody with less than academic skills. Its a sure guarantee for the top 1% to keep hold of their wealth while employing Automatons/Bureaucrats to maintain the facade of democracy and accountability..i.e Government which leads me to the masses ...NUFF SED!

Comment

• England needs to just rip the bandage off and Brexit. It will be painful, but Trump will squarely side with them over the EU which will put England in a better position to get more favorable deals with the rest of the continent. If they wait until the democrats are back in power, it will be much more difficult as they will be playing both sides.

Comment

• Originally posted by rosspoons View Post
                        England needs to just rip the bandage off and Brexit. It will be painful, but Trump will squarely side with them over the EU which will put England in a better position to get more favorable deals with the rest of the continent. If they wait until the democrats are back in power, it will be much more difficult as they will be playing both sides.
                        I understand your point but doesn't Trump come from a corporate back ground? Corporations and globalisation are hand in glove. They're two sides of the same coin. The more I look at whats happened to the American worker the more I see the US becoming a feudal society. Those Jobs that were allowed to leave the UK and US aren't coming back. Pretty soon even the Chinese worker will be made redundant to with the advent of AI.

Comment

I understand your point but doesn't Trump come from a corporate back ground? Corporations and globalisation are hand in glove. They're two sides of the same coin. The more I look at whats happened to the American worker the more I see the US becoming a feudal society. Those Jobs that were allowed to leave the UK and US aren't coming back. Pretty soon even the Chinese worker will be made redundant to with the advent of AI.
                          Large business and globalization are inextricable now. I read a year or two ago that the cost differential in producing in china and getting to the US marketplace as opposed to producing in the US and getting to market is down to about 7 cents on the dollar. Their labor advantage is being eaten up by other costs. It shouldn't take that much to give the UK and advantage in relation to US markets. Giving them more favorable deals on raw materials and agriculture outputs than the EU would get would be one possible avenue. Technology has always been disruptive to labor needs in manufacturing. Intellectual property rights will probably end up being the next battle front between nations though. I have read various estimates that have the cost of making an iPhone between $4-$11 but the licensing of the software, etc drive that cost up to a few hundred dollars per unit between the time it is made and the time it reaches your hand. Since so much of that money is aggregated into shell companies in countries with the more favorable tax rates, eventually the economic realities of paying for government and benefits will make action there unavoidable.

Comment

Large business and globalization are inextricable now. I read a year or two ago that the cost differential in producing in china and getting to the US marketplace as opposed to producing in the US and getting to market is down to about 7 cents on the dollar. Their labor advantage is being eaten up by other costs. It shouldn't take that much to give the UK and advantage in relation to US markets. Giving them more favorable deals on raw materials and agriculture outputs than the EU would get would be one possible avenue. Technology has always been disruptive to labor needs in manufacturing. Intellectual property rights will probably end up being the next battle front between nations though. I have read various estimates that have the cost of making an iPhone between $4-$11 but the licensing of the software, etc drive that cost up to a few hundred dollars per unit between the time it is made and the time it reaches your hand. Since so much of that money is aggregated into shell companies in countries with the more favorable tax rates, eventually the economic realities of paying for government and benefits will make action there unavoidable.
                            Ross Spoons

Welcome to the WAB!

Just a few things I'd like to point out.

As a new arrival we ask you to stop in here and introduce yourself to the membership. tell us a little about yourself, where your from, your interests, if a veteran where and when, etc.

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/sho...1571&page=132&

When you're done there I also recommend you check out this page...it will save a lot of grief and help make your stay a good one!

http://www.worldaffairsboard.com/showthread.php?t=46580

Again, welcome to the WAB!
                            “Loyalty to country ALWAYS. Loyalty to government, when it deserves it.”
                            Mark Twain

Comment

Large business and globalization are inextricable now.
                              Which is why the EU loves Corporations. They're big and easy to regulate as they have money and resources to comply to the latest absurd political trend. Smaller business's similarly have to comply to the raft of self perpetuating regs but obviously find it harder due to having tighter budgets and less staff. When you talk to people who have started business's from nothing in 70's and 80's and employ say anything from 30 -100 you hear the same comments. 'its no fun anymore' what they actually mean is they are over regulated and feel suffocated.

Comment

My basic problem with the EU Zara is it supports globalisation, which is doing below zero for anybody not born with a silver spoon rammed down their throat. Long term its a lose lose for anybody with less than academic skills. Its a sure guarantee for the top 1% to keep hold of their wealth while employing Automatons/Bureaucrats to maintain the facade of democracy and accountability..i.e Government which leads me to the masses ...NUFF SED!
                                I ear ya, I think just the blame is misplaced. If your beef is freedom of movement, then sure Brexit will reduce immigration (a bit), at at medium to heavy economic cost depending how far we diverge. But I don't see how it will improve the lot of those without the skills to cope in the modern world. Automation is coming, Brexit or no, perhaps Brexit will speed it up as people just wont work in the jobs currently filled by eastern european migrants, they just wont. I dont say that to disparage Brits as lazy, I worked in a milk factory for 6 months at weekends to save up to go travelling and it was awful.. just awful. Theres no way i'd do that for a living, if its a choice of benefits or that job id take benefits, anyone from the UK or Ireland would. That was in Manchester and virtually all the workers were migrants from West Africa.

Farm labour, factory work, the service industry... These arent jobs brits are willing to do. taking the labour away wont raise wages, it'll just mean we import more. Perhaps the wages for tradesmen will go up, but that means less houses > more accute houseing crisis.

I just don't see that brexit solves anything, other than rubbing wounded national pride.

Comment

Working...
                                X